Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wosmama View Post
We are looking under $180k and need 3 br + an office, at least 2 full baths and a fenced or easily fenced backyard. We're really hoping for a mud/laundry room for our dogs. I live in a "walkable" neighborhood, at least in daylight, but I can walk to Taco Bell, a car wash and a Firestone tires. So I'm hoping for some charm.
Seems like it shouldn't be too hard to find something in CH or SH for that (don't go to East Cleveland). For charm/walkability, I'd look around Taylor and Fairmount

3828 Kirkwood Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH 44121 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

in and around John Carroll University

3828 Kirkwood Rd, Cleveland Heights, OH 44121 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

or (as someone else suggested) off Lee between Cedar and Fairmount.

And if you're here only 5 years and you have a 7 month old, that's only kindergarden and 1st grade (or so) of schooling before you're somewhere else (whether you move within Cleveland to a better school district or somewhere else entirely). I wouldn't worry too much about getting the "best" school in Cleveland Heights. And any school in SH would be fine.

Get a realtor and also consider renting a SFH somewhere. I can't imagine the dogs are a dealbreaker for every landlord.

Edit: Also, FWIW, your options increase pretty significantly if you're willing to do 1.5 baths instead of 2. We (me, wife, 4 yo and 10 mo) have 2 full BA, but only use one regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The East Fairfax/Clarendon Road area of Cleveland Heights right off of Lee Road seems like a decent option. The CH-UH district is rezoning the schools and Fairfax Elementary School is closing, but you'd still probably be zoned into Canterbury or Roxboro, which you discussed above as being more desirable (and I agree). That area is also a short walk to the main library and other amenities offered along Lee Road, including coffee and nice dining establishments.

Fairfax is closing? Holy cow, I remember when that neighborhood was swarming with kids and they had to build a bigger school there. Hard to believe the kids will now go to Roxboro, that's more than a mile away. Of course these days I guess kids don't walk to school anymore, anyway. What are they going to do with the old school building?

OP, live near Lee Road and your kids can walk to a nice variety of places. SCarborough, Corydon, Coleridge, Essex, etc are All nice streets

Old 01-03-2014, 12:33 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Lol, just realized I somehow posted all the same house. Meh, you'll figure it out OP. Just look in those areas with the help of a realtor.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:39 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
That Fenwick Road house is not in East Cleveland, FYI, it's actually in University Heights, not sure how Zillow made such a wild mistake.. I actually drive past it almost every day, the neighborhood around there is really nice. There's a chance that when school re-zoning happens that kids living around there might end up at Gearity Elementary School, but there's no guarantee of that.

Old 01-03-2014, 12:43 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Fairfax is closing? Holy cow, I remember when that neighborhood was swarming with kids and they had to build a bigger school there. Hard to believe the kids will now go to Roxboro, that's more than a mile away. Of course these days I guess kids don't walk to school anymore, anyway. What are they going to do with the old school building?
Part of that neighborhood will likely end up in the Roxboro district. The other part will go to Canterbury, which is an easier walk, especially for those living east of Lee Road.

I have no idea what will happen to the building. It's kind of an eye sore in my opinion. It may end up as office space (like Coventry) or perhaps a private school. There's a nice playground there, though, so perhaps there may be support for tearing the building down and just making it into a park.

FYI, these rezoning changes aren't scheduled to happen anytime soon (and I don't think an official year has been given), but future homeowners should be aware of what's going on. My guess is that the elementary rezoning won't occur until around 2020.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:20 PM

33 posts, read 60,376 times
Yeah I looked into it. I wonder how that will impact resale. Thanks so much for the replies!! If you know of any good day cares or child care providers let me know!

Old 01-03-2014, 01:29 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
I can see having a park right there. I so agree about the building. I remember when they built it back in 1970 or so. The eArlier school had been a gorgeous old building, and I hated to see it go. It was unsafe, though., and too small. Are theye consolidating the schools because there are so few kids now?

Old 01-03-2014, 01:35 PM

16 posts, read 34,772 times
Default don't buy...rent

Here is the best advice you are going to get: do not even consider buying in any of the communities on the East Side if your time frame is only 5 years (or longer). You will lose money on the house buy/sell and might even be stuck with a house worth less than your mortgage. Broker commission alone will cost you 5% not to mention other closing costs. All the Heights are in decline....just look at the values of the homes...most of which are worth less today than 10 years ago. It is so bad that Shaker Life Magazine (propaganda magazine put out by city) stopped publishing previous sale prices as they showed homes selling for less than even 10 AND 15 years ago! And that is in Shaker which is doing much better than Cleveland or University Heights.

Crime is rampant in Cleveland Heights and the housing market is in terminal decline. Don't be lured by the cheap prices...they are cheap because everyone wants OUT. With the second highest taxes behind Shaker and a terrible school district, why would you ever buy there? Just buy in Shaker if you must but I would say just rent. No need to buy and if you really like then you can buy later.

As to commute, driving from Lakewood at rush hour might be 45 minutes. That is a a GREAT commute in other parts of the country but maybe not Cleveland. I would recommend Rocky River over Lakewood. Again, rent first and then buy.

Good luck.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:48 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
Actually, now is a great time to buy in the heights if you can find the right deal. It's totally a buyers market, with homes selling well below their long term value. You can easily find a decent house for $50,000 or less. When the economy turns around in a few years, you can probably sell at a decent profit. Another place you might want to look into is South Euclid. There are lots of very affordable houses in decent neighborhoods there, and the schools are slightly better than CH.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM

16 posts, read 34,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Actually, now is a great time to buy in the heights if you can find the right deal. It's totally a buyers market, with homes selling well below their long term value. You can easily find a decent house for $50,000 or less. When the economy turns around in a few years, you can probably sell at a decent profit. Another place you might want to look into is South Euclid. There are lots of very affordable houses in decent neighborhoods there, and the schools are slightly better than CH.

Calling a bottom? Based on what? Those $50k houses looked like bargains at $75k 5 years ago. House in all the Heights are selling for less than they were 10 years ago or longer. Why will they be worth more in a few years?

They will not. As long as people continue to leave Cuyahoga County and there are not enough new jobs there are much better places to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland