Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:29 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

Come on Bjimmy. I DO go to the market on Saturdays and yes...usually around noon. It's usually easy enough to find a spot because parking turnover is so high. Someone is always leaving. Although, being intimately familiar with the area I know plenty of other places to park so I only use the actual WestSide market parking lot when I take my 3 year old.

Having said that I think you completely missed what I was talking about. Maybe I wan't clear enough.

Quote:
Parking is a breeze in Little Italy
I was talking about the parking lot in Little Italy just past the bridge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 03:21 PM

5 posts, read 7,645 times
Little Italy is a favorite place for me.............as far as the Aquarium and Rock Hall I feel they are wayyyy over rated. The Art Museum, Playhouse Square (try to get show tickets) and the Coventry Rd area are great places to visit.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecatee View Post
Rock Hall I feel they are wayyyy over rated.
To truly appreciate the Rock Hall, one has got to be a fan of rock and roll for starters. This may sound obvious but too many people think that the Rock Hall is there to celebrate or honor what they perceive as great bands or bands that deserve merit. That is the Hall of Fame part but what many people ignore is the "Museum" part of the experience. Rock and roll has to be in your system, one has to understand and immerse oneself in rock and roll history and culture (i.e the story of rock and roll) or at least try to in order to appreciate the Rock Hall at the fullest extent. It really is a shrine to practically everything that has been done to make up the glorious music known as "rock and roll" from its roots to its present. Where else in the world can you find such a duplicate museum? If you went to the Rock Hall only to check if your favorite band is featured, then you sure will be in for a disappointment because exhibits revolve all the time as in any museum.

Anyways, the Rock Hall is not the only thing of great interest in the Cleve. If the OP is not into rock and roll, and I mean really into rock and roll, then maybe $22 is better spent elsewhere.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:31 AM

5 posts, read 7,645 times
I am a rock and roll fan and I do appreciate the music, the bands, the clothes of the era, history etc but I still think it is over rated. Just because the Rock Hall didn't impress me has nothing to do with how I feel about Rock and Roll. To me it is just a Hard Rock Cafe on steroids! Once was enough!

Old 01-31-2014, 11:29 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,178,523 times
I would say that once is enough for most museums. At least, once every 5 years or so. If you haven't been to it, the RnR HOF is certainly worth seeing.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM

32,619 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
I am sorry, but I can't take the OP too seriously. If you have read their posts in other threads, they are down right negative towards Cleveland. They even make mention they had a terrible time in Cleveland before, and go off that experience to further bash Cleveland like they know its ever corner like they grew up there. There is some "Cleveland booster" in the Pittsburgh forum, and not even talking about Cleveland, posters still bring up "but I thought Cleveland was so much better."

I truly hope I am wrong, but I don't know why a poster who acts like they know Cleveland so well and consistenly bashes the place is looking for information from posters here? I have a feeling this trip is meant to come up just to further bash Cleveland, then you get to hear how "great" Pittsburgh is otherwise.
D'oh! You got me, TheMahValley! We're all just coming to Cleveland to talk about how much better Pittsburgh is! You're referencing member zman63. He lives in Pittsburgh and always says that Cleveland is so much better. I'm sure if you had a Cleveland resident on here who did nothing but elevate Pittsburgh over your fair city then you, too, would feel defensive, as we all feel.

In all seriousness we DID visit once, and we had a horrible time. I attribute that to poor planning on my part---not on the city at-large. It was St. Patrick's Day a couple of years ago, I was off work unexpectedly, and we decided to take a spur-of-the-moment day-trip to Cleveland to escape the madness of drunk Pittsburghers on that awful holiday. What we didn't expect was that Cleveland was just as bad on St. Patrick's Day with the hordes of drunken idiots, jacked-up parking rates Downtown, etc.

We're not going on St. Patrick's Day this year. We're going on an off-Saturday so we can give the city a second chance to impress us. I appreciate the comments and insight thus far and welcome more. I'm personally NOT a big "rock 'n roll fan", but my friends and my partner are, so I'll stomach the Hall of Fame for their sake. Otherwise I'm hoping to really enjoy Cleveland.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM

3,415 posts, read 5,129,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
What we didn't expect was that Cleveland was just as bad on St. Patrick's Day with the hordes of drunken idiots, jacked-up parking rates Downtown, etc.
This made me smile. We really are sibling cities.

Old 02-02-2014, 07:56 PM

93 posts, read 265,169 times
In regards to getting around Cleveland when you visit - if you are driving there, and plan to visit on a Saturday, I would definitely recommend forgoing the Rapid and just driving between your destinations. Cleveland has a lot of parking downtown, and the trains don't run very frequently anymore (15+ minute headways). You could easily kill an hour or more of your day just waiting for the train if you needed to take it between a couple of different destinations.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,456,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
In regards to getting around Cleveland when you visit - if you are driving there, and plan to visit on a Saturday, I would definitely recommend forgoing the Rapid and just driving between your destinations. Cleveland has a lot of parking downtown, and the trains don't run very frequently anymore (15+ minute headways). You could easily kill an hour or more of your day just waiting for the train if you needed to take it between a couple of different destinations.
Meh, you really wouldn't kill that much time waiting for trains. They come every 15 minutes and are generally on time pretty much exactly as the schedule says. The chances of you arriving at the stop exactly a moment after the train left and waiting the full 15 minutes for four different trips are pretty low.

Old 02-02-2014, 08:42 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHboston View Post
The schedules on the Rapid advertise 15 minute intervals but when I rode it, I swear the trains came faster than that - like 10 minutes - and that was during off-peak hours. As a transit lover, I would rather the OP ride it at least once just to get a feel for it, especially if they plan to visit locations such as University Circle or Shaker Square. The Rapid is not as crowded as our transit systems in the East Coast and the $5 all day pass is a real bargain too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland