Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrymum View Post
The only big issue for us is the limit of two dogs. We have 4 low energy dogs that are part of the family, so if we can't find a way around it, we may have to keep looking.
That's technically the law, but as far as I know, it's not strictly enforced. I know someone in Shaker, where they have that law, with 4 dogs and theyve never had a problem. It's not like people will go to your house and check.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:10 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Default Money Pit?

Some of the grand, old houses in SH and CH are money pits. E.g., tens of thousands can be spent just dealing with the old foundations, including fixing water problems. Have an expert evaluate likely repairs and costs before buying. Offsetting these hidden costs, many houses sell well below replacement cost unless entirely renovated.

I doubt if CH will go the way of East Cleveland, which once was a top tier residential destination in Greater Cleveland. However, I'm not familiar with all CH neighborhoods and the possible disparity in the housing stock. That's something I would want to understand before purchasing a home in CH.

An old, perhaps often obsolete housing stock poses a great risk to a community. I believe Shaker Heights has dealt with the problem by an aggressive housing inspection policy which requires upgrades as a condition of sale, but obviously impacts what will be paid for a property. I don't know what the policy is Cleveland Heights.

Some of the houses in CH and SH just aren't practical by modern standards.

The Butler-Nissen 'Passive House' replaced a Walker and Weeks mansion to point the way to a sustainable future | cleveland.com

As mentioned in other posts, CH has a superb location -- close to University Circle with rail rapid service downtown. Of course, East Cleveland also is adjacent to University Circle and also has rail rapid service downtown....

Forest Hill, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

East Cleveland returning Forest Hill Park to former glory with grant money (slideshow) | cleveland.com

Welcome to Forest Hill

Old 11-25-2014, 03:42 PM

9 posts, read 32,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
How much lower can a house on Overlook in CH fall than $50K?

Unless the street went to hell, I can't imagine much. I really doubt that same house would be for sale when we are ready to buy. Hopefully we will still be able to get a great deal in the same area tho...

A have a separate but related question. I was told that taxes are 2.2% of the home's value. How can a house that sold for 15K have yearly taxes of 3K?? Our home now is 1,800 SQ and on 1/2 acre in the village. Our taxes are 1,700 and change a year. A similar property in CH, that is valued many times lower would be more than twice for the taxes. Is there a new kind of math they are using in CH?

Old 11-25-2014, 03:48 PM

3435 Beechwood Avenue, Cleveland Heights OH - Trulia

Okay, this house has a lot of bedrooms, but still, how are the taxes over 4k on a 15k house?

Old 11-25-2014, 03:55 PM

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...19-16385?row=8

IDK why, but the house is the same addy and doesn't appear to be the same house...

Anyone familiar with this street? It looks like it may be sketchy...ish.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:06 PM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Sketchy-ish may be a pretty good word. Severance Town Center isn't considered a particularly desirable mall to hang out at anymore, however the general law for Cleveland Heights (though there are exceptions) is North of Mayfield declines significantly from South of Mayfield, but again, there are exceptions going both ways. I know if I were to move back the main areas I would look at would be around Coventry (particularly, south of it), or in the Cedar Fairmount area, though I don't know that houses in either of those places are affordable.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:35 PM

We are taking a drive out there tomorrow to check out some of the other neighborhoods, I would like to develop an idea of where the nicer neighborhoods are before we start seriously start house hunting.

Cleverfield...I would be concerned about surrounding neighbors not being so dog friendly, and reporting us. Sometimes homeowners can get a 'kennel' license that will make it legal to keep more than the limit. Not sure if that applies to CH.

WR Native...Our home now is 104 years old and have lived here for almost 14 years. Let's just say we learned the hard way to check a home out thoroughly before buying next time. That being said, I still believe that old homes are built better than the new ones, and don't mind basic TLC.

Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
It looks like that house is a duplex. It's probably needs some work if that's what it's going for, and the tax number listed is most likely only an estimate based on what the house should really be worth. Regardless of any of that, Beechwood Avenue is a street I likely would avoid.

Cleveland Heights is a large suburb consisting of several vastly different neighborhoods, some of them being in really bad shape. As a general rule, anything along Fairmount Boulevard or within a few blocks north or south is going to be pretty decent and safe. There are some hidden gem streets just north of Fairmount Boulevard and east of Lee Road where houses are rather affordable IMO. The area just west of Lee Road and south of Essex Road (including it) is going to probably be a bit pricier, but is also a nicer neighborhood. The neighborhood north of Mayfield and west of Forest Hills Boulevard is also quiet and affordable.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
It looks like that house is a duplex. It's probably needs some work if that's what it's going for, and the tax number listed is most likely only an estimate based on what the house should really be worth. Regardless of any of that, Beechwood Avenue is a street I likely would avoid.

Cleveland Heights is a large suburb consisting of several vastly different neighborhoods, some of them being in really bad shape. As a general rule, anything along Fairmount Boulevard or within a few blocks north or south is going to be pretty decent and safe. There are some hidden gem streets just north of Fairmount Boulevard and east of Lee Road where houses are rather affordable IMO. The area just west of Lee Road and south of Essex Road (including it) is going to probably be a bit pricier, but is also a nicer neighborhood. The neighborhood north of Mayfield and west of Forest Hills Boulevard is also quiet and affordable.
Thank you very much for the detailed reply!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post

Thank you very much for the detailed reply!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland