Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times

Advertisements

There's probably no convincing anyone with a flight mentality that the CH schools offer a great education, particularly for the high-achievers, who are mostly isolated from the bottom of the barrel that drags down the schools' overall test scores. But were this not the case, then CHHS would not be sending dozens of graduates each year to Ivy League and similar institutions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2014, 08:56 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,229,993 times
I'm a liberal, admittedly, yet many residents of Cleveland Heights can infuriate me with their smug style of hypocrisy.
Nuclear Free Zone, diverse community, yet the high school is fraught with racial tension. Education Ph.Ds and sociologists visit CH schools to look at it as a national case study of the "two high schools within one" mindset: one that offers college prep and AP courses, staff steering white students toward those tracks, while offering basic and career-planning courses for the black and minority kids. Papers and books have been written about it. Many liberal parents, Jewish and gentile, send their kids to private school.
I truly wish, as a liberal myself, that the parents of Cleveland Heights would "put their money where their mouth is" in regard to schools, especially CHHS. (The "now sending them to a private school for religious reasons" argument does not really hold water: CHHS had a substantial Jewish population within the student body for years and years). The neighborhoods and shops in Cleveland Heights do not have this problem to the extent of the schools, and given the history of the suburb, as well as the long-standing cooperative relationship between liberals, African Americans, and the Jewish community in CH, there's no excuse for CH to act this way with their schools. Yet they do. A community is only as strong as their public schools, yet many CH parents abandon them.
I like CH, and I do hope the OP ends up there as they hope.

Last edited by kpl1228; 12-10-2014 at 09:06 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 09:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,617 times
As a former CH resident who moved out of CH because of the schools, I think it's at least as much behavior-based as it is anything to do with the schools (teachers/classes/extracurriculars/etc) themselves. I still remember looking for movies for my son at the main library and overhearing a 9-10 year old kid (in a group of kids by the computers) talking about this kid at his school looking at him funny and how he should have "****ed him up" for it.

As for the "two schools within one" issue, I find it curious that it's at times been a defense of Shaker Heights schools on this forum, yet the perception of SH schools is still significantly more positive overall than CH schools.

Old 12-10-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
As for the "two schools within one" issue, I find it curious that it's at times been a defense of Shaker Heights schools on this forum, yet the perception of SH schools is still significantly more positive overall than CH schools.
Agreed. And SH gets even more sociologists and professors writing about it than CH! I used to say that every HS student in SH nowadays has a egghead following him/her around with a tweed sportcoat and notepad.

Last edited by kpl1228; 12-10-2014 at 09:32 AM..

Old 12-10-2014, 09:27 AM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
There's probably no convincing anyone with a flight mentality that the CH schools offer a great education, particularly for the high-achievers, who are mostly isolated from the bottom of the barrel that drags down the schools' overall test scores. But were this not the case, then CHHS would not be sending dozens of graduates each year to Ivy League and similar institutions.
This statement is vague and unverifiable obviously, but I'm curious if it contains any truth. Does anyone know how many kids went to Ivies from Heights last year (pretty sure it's not "dozens"). And what is meant by "similar institutions?" Stanford and Northwestern? Caltech? Hiram?

Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,617 times
My impression is that it's probably true-ish.

I also find this defense curious given my impression of those that seem to make it. I think that a lot of people that make this argument (anyone can make it if they try hard enough because look at these people that did it) would never make the similar argument of "anyone can escape poverty because X previously poor person did it".

Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 AM

WELCOME TO HEIGHTS HIGH: THE CRIPPLING POLITICS OF RESTRUCTURING (URBAN LIFE & URBAN LANDSCAPE): DIANA TITTLE: 9780814206836: Amazon.com: Books

Old 12-21-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
As a former CH resident who moved out of CH because of the schools, I think it's at least as much behavior-based as it is anything to do with the schools (teachers/classes/extracurriculars/etc) themselves. I still remember looking for movies for my son at the main library and overhearing a 9-10 year old kid (in a group of kids by the computers) talking about this kid at his school looking at him funny and how he should have "****ed him up" for it.

Behavior-based and ultimately race-based, unfortunately.

As for Shaker Heights, you're right, but the difference is that there is a larger proportion of honors/advanced students at SHHS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
This statement is vague and unverifiable obviously, but I'm curious if it contains any truth. Does anyone know how many kids went to Ivies from Heights last year (pretty sure it's not "dozens"). And what is meant by "similar institutions?" Stanford and Northwestern? Caltech? Hiram?
Verifiable through college attendance lists that the Black and Gold (Heights' newspaper) prints every year, usually in the late spring. The part about Ivies and "similar institutions" is a bit vague and debatable of course, but I think that there's about 80-100 schools that might fit that description, ranging from larger research-based schools like CWRU to smaller liberal arts schools like Oberlin (as far as local examples go). But the number of kids attending these competitive-admissions schools does usually number in the 20s or 30s and that does not include those going to strong public universities such as Ohio State.

The larger point is that Heights' academic programs and preparation still offers that pathway on the higher end for those that are up to the challenge. There aren't many of these kids, but again that's more of a residential demographic issue, not a school issue.

FWIW, I wouldn't put Hiram on that list.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:41 AM

Quote:
My impression is that it's probably true-ish.

I also find this defense curious given my impression of those that seem to make it. I think that a lot of people that make this argument (anyone can make it if they try hard enough because look at these people that did it) would never make the similar argument of "anyone can escape poverty because X previously poor person did it".
Curious? The only reason I ever make this point is to smash the argument that perceived school "quality" is based largely on anything other than demographics and that opportunities for success do exist at Heights. If you peak inside an AP Calculus classroom at Heights and an AP Calculus classroom at Beachwood, they'll look almost identical, if you catch my drift*. And if your kid qualifies for AP classes at Beachwood, they'd also qualify at Heights, and yes Heights would offer most of the same courses and extracurricular activities.

*There's no mystery as to what drives school ratings.

Old 12-21-2014, 04:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Default Behavioral problems

I think this is a bigger problem than is commonly understood, especially in elementary schools.

There are physically violent children, who also regularly disrupt classrooms. I had friends who saw this as a major problem in the Shaker Heights elementary school that their children attended.

Parents whose children encounter violent children and classrooms where the educational process is retarded by disruptive behavior don't want anything to do with it, especially when their friends' children in schools without these problems are advancing more quickly. I know several teachers who say one or two problem children can do significant damage to the learning process in a classroom.

AP classes in elementary schools can often appease the parents of good elementary school students, but they also often raise issues of racial discrimination, and there's also an argument that withdrawing the best students from regular classrooms impairs the remaining students and certainly frustrates teachers left with the most challenged students.

There's something to be said for very strict discipline standards which once prevailed in American schools.

Fortunately, most school systems have really cracked down on bullying in the last decade, but I'm not certain that is sufficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland