Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2015, 04:40 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

Fair enough. I will say a couple things did sort of get repeated. But I do tend to believe that you are genuine in your interest in the community, and may have just forgotten certain parts. I don't have a problem with being analytical. Let us know how your visit and experience goes, hopefully very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 04:41 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,940,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Fair enough. I will say a couple things did sort of get repeated. But I do tend to believe that you are genuine in your interest in the community, and may have just forgotten certain parts. I don't have a problem with being analytical. Let us know how your visit and experience goes, hopefully very well.
Dare I ask....how would you rate the quality of life overall in Cleveland / Northeast OH? Pros and cons?

Old 02-24-2015, 05:25 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times
Pros:
1. Biggest one for me has to be identity. This could be identified in the neighborhoods, sports, etc., but there really is a fantastic sense of community there.

2.Parks/Outdoor Living. I don't have a stat to back this up, but I'd guess almost everyone in Northeast Ohio lives within ten minutes of some Metropark, except in extremely rural areas. The area just screams at you to run/walk/bike/ski, and so it's easy to find opportunities to do fun outdoor activities. Spectacular natural scenery.

3. Culture. Discussion about this earlier, but Cleveland is among top 10 if not top 5 museum cities. In addition to that, it has an Orchestra recently voted best in the world , and the second largest Performing Arts district in the nation.

4. Neighborhoods. There's at least ten neighborhoods within 15 minutes of the city, and an additional 15-20 areas in the region chock full with mom/pop restaurants, History, and great architecture . Did I mention, Cleveland is a foodie city. Big time.

5. Affordability. You are already aware of this , but Cleveland's cost of living in comparison to amenities provided is about as good as you could get anywhere.

6. Infrastructure. It's built up for a city double Cleveland's size, and so traffic is hardly , if ever a concern, and there are many ways to get around. Many other things are well established too, including schools , journalism , etc.

7. For me, sports.

8. Seasons

Cons

1. Seasons (depending upon who you ask) some think it too cold in winter.

Maybe someone else can , but I can't think of any other major cons.

Very proud to be from this great American city , and hoping someday to move back.

Old 02-24-2015, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Pros:
1. Biggest one for me has to be identity. This could be identified in the neighborhoods, sports, etc., but there really is a fantastic sense of community there.

2.Parks/Outdoor Living. I don't have a stat to back this up, but I'd guess almost everyone in Northeast Ohio lives within ten minutes of some Metropark, except in extremely rural areas. The area just screams at you to run/walk/bike/ski, and so it's easy to find opportunities to do fun outdoor activities. Spectacular natural scenery.

3. Culture. Discussion about this earlier, but Cleveland is among top 10 if not top 5 museum cities. In addition to that, it has an Orchestra recently voted best in the world , and the second largest Performing Arts district in the nation.

4. Neighborhoods. There's at least ten neighborhoods within 15 minutes of the city, and an additional 15-20 areas in the region chock full with mom/pop restaurants, History, and great architecture . Did I mention, Cleveland is a foodie city. Big time.

5. Affordability. You are already aware of this , but Cleveland's cost of living in comparison to amenities provided is about as good as you could get anywhere.

6. Infrastructure. It's built up for a city double Cleveland's size, and so traffic is hardly , if ever a concern, and there are many ways to get around. Many other things are well established too, including schools , journalism , etc.

7. For me, sports.

8. Seasons

Cons

1. Seasons (depending upon who you ask) some think it too cold in winter.

Maybe someone else can , but I can't think of any other major cons.

Very proud to be from this great American city , and hoping someday to move back.
Ugh...that list is just music to my ears! I like everything you listed!
I am generally a homebody, but it's nice to have all of those cultural amenities without the hassle of a world class city.

But wait a minute....you're not actually living there right now? Where are you now?

And also, as an aside, I have been to Buffalo and absolutely loved it.....the vibe, scenery, architecture, etc. I heard Cleveland is like a big Buffalo, which is great!

As pointed out earlier, my only concern is if Cleveland metro is fast paced / stressful, but it doesn't seem like it is. If it's similar pace of Buffalo, then I know I will love it. Hopefully people don't honk their car horns all the time like where I live now....ugh. I get honked at a few times a month. It's rude.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:15 PM

170 posts, read 235,046 times
I know some of you may have concerns that you're wasting time answering these questions. I can't say whether or not the OP is genuine, but I can say that all of this info y'all have written in this thread has been absolutely amazing for those of us who are considering Cleveland. I have ticked off at least a dozen Cleveland questions I've had simply by reading this thread the past few days. Thanks for all the time you've taken to talk about your city!

Old 02-24-2015, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
I know some of you may have concerns that you're wasting time answering these questions. I can't say whether or not the OP is genuine, but I can say that all of this info y'all have written in this thread has been absolutely amazing for those of us who are considering Cleveland. I have ticked off at least a dozen Cleveland questions I've had simply by reading this thread the past few days. Thanks for all the time you've taken to talk about your city!
Glad to hear that my questions have allowed others to provide very helpful answers. Unfortunately, some people on here are upset that I'm keeping the conversation going, which is beyond me.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:18 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Glad to hear that my questions have allowed others to provide very helpful answers. Unfortunately, some people on here are upset that I'm keeping the conversation going, which is beyond me.
Well, in your first post you stated that you had already spent countless hours on google maps. Several posts later you state that you google mapped Cleveland neighborhoods/streets and were then concerned about these issues.

Just visit yourself. If you loved Buffalo, you will really love Cleveland.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameCreativity View Post
Cleveland is a great city.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Well, in your first post you stated that you had already spent countless hours on google maps. Several posts later you state that you google mapped Cleveland neighborhoods/streets and were then concerned about these issues.

Just visit yourself. If you loved Buffalo, you will really love Cleveland.
Okay so what if several posts later I had some concerns? I'm a human. I may have some concerns about things.

Anyway, that is my next step. Now I just have to plan a visit. I don't know how the hell I'm going to do it though. I'm not allowed to take any time off until after April, but May is the last month I have this apartment and will need to move out, and I don't want to wait until May to visit. I may have to just bite the bullet and drive there (it's only a 7 hour drive) on a Sat morning and spend the day and night there, then drive back home the next day on a Sunday. Or maybe I'll fly, but that takes like 5 hours, counting driving to the airport, waiting, flying, departing, car rental, and all that baloney. I'll figure it out though.

Old 02-24-2015, 09:43 PM

170 posts, read 235,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay so what if several posts later I had some concerns? I'm a human. I may have some concerns about things.

Anyway, that is my next step. Now I just have to plan a visit. I don't know how the hell I'm going to do it though. I'm not allowed to take any time off until after April, but May is the last month I have this apartment and will need to move out, and I don't want to wait until May to visit. I may have to just bite the bullet and drive there (it's only a 7 hour drive) on a Sat morning and spend the day and night there, then drive back home the next day on a Sunday. Or maybe I'll fly, but that takes like 5 hours, counting driving to the airport, waiting, flying, departing, car rental, and all that baloney. I'll figure it out though.
Is May just when your lease expires or will something happen with the apartment in May that absolutely requires the unit to be vacant? If it's just when your lease expires, it's probable that there is an option to go month-to-month, or at least to negotiate an extra month or two with the landlord. I can't think of any rental I've had where I couldn't negotiate an extra month, though usually that extra month was at an increased price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland