Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:23 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Thats pretty accurate for Cleveland and other northern cities. Theres no telling what will happen in the city from May-October. Last year I think Cleveland averaged about 15 murders per month from May-October and December was bad too, for some reason.
definitely on december. cincinnati calms when the kids go back to school, but around Christmas time things get crazy. and for some sick reason, cincinnati often has the first homicide in that year in ohio, usually soon the ball drops. like 4 of the last 5.

i remember cleveland had a crazy start to 07. something about a club shooting at the flats and a fireman shooting somebody. it's a sick, sad world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 12:32 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
I dont think Cincinnati usually has the 1st homicide. This year on January 1st Akron had 2 murders and Cleveland had one, and all that happened very early in the day like 6 am or earlier.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:04 AM

i meant like 2am on january 1st type murders. ill try to find the articles.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:26 PM

here's this year's link

The Enquirer - First homicide of 2008

Old 02-26-2008, 12:27 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I dont think Cincinnati usually has the 1st homicide. This year on January 1st Akron had 2 murders and Cleveland had one, and all that happened very early in the day like 6 am or earlier.
I don't believe that either. MANY MANY MANY people I have met from Cincinnati have this thought that Cinci is not only the murder cap. of Ohio, but the US. I can't tell you how many times Cinci people have told me how dangerous their city is and how it has more murders than the whole state combined. Realistically, Cinci hasn't EVER had more murders than Cleveland... nor is it more dangerous per capita. I don't understand their rationale, it is quite strange.

Old 02-26-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I don't believe that either. MANY MANY MANY people I have met from Cincinnati have this thought that Cinci is not only the murder cap. of Ohio, but the US. I can't tell you how many times Cinci people have told me how dangerous their city is and how it has more murders than the whole state combined. Realistically, Cinci hasn't EVER had more murders than Cleveland... nor is it more dangerous per capita. I don't understand their rationale, it is quite strange.
Whoever said Cincinnati was the murder capital of the country was dead wrong, but Ohio? I think it was in 2006.

I don't understand why some Clevelanders are so defensive about being the most dangerous city in Ohio. The streets of Cincinnati are chaos and there seems to be a refusal of belief by some Clevelanders. Until I go live on the east side of Cleveland, or a Clevelander goes to live in Avondale in Cincinnati, there's no real knowing. Stats are just stats. They can lie for anyone. You, me, Obama and Hillary.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:12 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
Whoever said Cincinnati was the murder capital of the country was dead wrong, but Ohio? I think it was in 2006.

I don't understand why some Clevelanders are so defensive about being the most dangerous city in Ohio. The streets of Cincinnati are chaos and there seems to be a refusal of belief by some Clevelanders. Until I go live on the east side of Cleveland, or a Clevelander goes to live in Avondale in Cincinnati, there's no real knowing. Stats are just stats. They can lie for anyone. You, me, Obama and Hillary.
You are wrong again about 2006. Cleveland had 119 murders (led the state) and Cinci had 89.. And on top of that, Youngstown had a higher homicide rate than both.

Cincinnati has NEVER had more homicides than Cleveland and that is fact. I get defensive because Cinci people make their city sound like a war zone. One individual told me it was safer in Baghdad than Cinci

In 2007, Cleveland DOUBLED Cinci in murders. And don't get it twisted, Cleveland only has about 70,000 more people than Cinci.

Stats are just stats. This is true. But they do present an overall detail of cities as a whole.. By no means are there no dangerous areas in either city - but that is a problem in all major cities.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,276 times
I dont get the point of trying to make your city or his city look more dangerous its kind of childish, and bottomline is most the people on here dont even live in those neighborhoods and a lot of people in those neighborhoods dont even want to live there.

Sure both the cities are dangerous and are bad. But WeSoHood is right this time. The most documented murders Cincinnati in a year was 89, the most documented murders Cleveland ever had was around 350, so yes it is a big difference between the two cities. I would say that the most dangerous area in Ohio in 2007 was the St. Clair/Superior neighborhood in Cleveland. They had shootings every day and night of the summer, it was because the drug shortage hit extremely hard there. It only got quieter after the cops did a crackdown and arrested like 200 people in a few days or something like that. Also the SE side was doing really bad last year, and even the westside, just murder after murder after murder. Cincinnati was bad too but it improved since 2006.

Both the cities need to seriously reduce crime.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM

in 2006 cincinnati had a higher per capita rate. i did not say cincinnati had more murders. I am also not saying Cincinnati is more dangerous than Cleveland. So I don't know how anybody is "right", which i just said in my last post. I was making a statement about new year's day murders and someone attacked my claim. I backed it up with a link. I don't know how it is up in St.Clair or whatever but I am actually from some real bad areas in Cincinnati so my opinions aren't media driven.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:36 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,899,548 times
Ok how can Cincy be murder capital of the US when we have cities like Detroit and St. Louis. No body looks at the facts, they just attomatically assume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland