Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 04:14 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,664,637 times

Advertisements

What I will say is this:

That is an absolute tragedy that it happened, more for that guy losing his peace of mind as anything. Thankfully, it is great that he is recovering. I agree that the shooter is a scumbag

That does to some degree add to the thought I have. Cleveland needs to continue focusing on gentrifying at least a few neighborhoods beyond a reasonable doubt.

However, I have to question the logic in not wanting to go back to Tremont for lunch because there was one shooting there, at 4 AM, a couple months ago. For one thing, it's entirely possible (as it is in many cases with violent crime) that somehow these two people were connected. Not that it makes the crime permissible as it definitely doesn't, but I think in general, people don't just open up and start shooting, even in the worst neighborhoods. I've helped out with impoverished youth several times in Cleveland, and probably a few dozen times in Orlando. Now, I've done so during the day, but so far (knock on wood) I haven't even remotely felt threatened before. I think if that is added, I could be wrong on this, but I believe there have been a grand total of 3 violent crimes in the Tremont Triangle area in the past year. I mean, to each their own, but I'm not really sure I'd let odds like that deter me from visiting the neighborhood. My odds of getting in a car accident are higher when taking into account the number of people going in and out of the neighborhood, or even likely when not doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2015, 05:42 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Just a note, "Cleveland" doesn't need to "gentrify" anything. People will decide to move into these neighborhoods based on their merits. Nothing to do with some outside force doing anything.

I see upsides to a lot of these neighborhoods. Asiatown is so close to downtown and has some great restaurants, affordable, and lower crime. However, housing stock in the area is nothing special. Slavic village also has proximity in its favor, has some cool architecture, and reminds me a bit of my area in Boston, at least visually. I've been reading about more people moving in and opening some businesses, however, the success of these businesses seems kinda marginal and it's impossible to ignore the hundreds of vacant homes and property crime. Waterloo is nice because of the music influence there, close to the lake, and the seemingly strong artist community. A l has been opening up recently too. However, it is isolated from anything else you'd want to do, as its surrounded by some god awful areas. I think this will always present a crime threat. Also a bit harder to live their without a car. The larchmere area is probably the most solid, I wouldn't really consider it up and coming. A lot of the restaurants have been there for a long time. Close to shaker square and shaker lakes. Affordable. Not hipstery. Close to university circle.

Cleveland doesn't really have to worry about soul crushing gentrification and homogenization for probably 25 years still. Hopefully by then, we will have done away with some ridiculous building regulations, laws and the like which have sterilized the cores of coastal cities.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:35 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
What I will say is this:

That is an absolute tragedy that it happened, more for that guy losing his peace of mind as anything. Thankfully, it is great that he is recovering. I agree that the shooter is a scumbag

That does to some degree add to the thought I have. Cleveland needs to continue focusing on gentrifying at least a few neighborhoods beyond a reasonable doubt.

However, I have to question the logic in not wanting to go back to Tremont for lunch because there was one shooting there, at 4 AM, a couple months ago. For one thing, it's entirely possible (as it is in many cases with violent crime) that somehow these two people were connected. Not that it makes the crime permissible as it definitely doesn't, but I think in general, people don't just open up and start shooting, even in the worst neighborhoods. I've helped out with impoverished youth several times in Cleveland, and probably a few dozen times in Orlando. Now, I've done so during the day, but so far (knock on wood) I haven't even remotely felt threatened before. I think if that is added, I could be wrong on this, but I believe there have been a grand total of 3 violent crimes in the Tremont Triangle area in the past year. I mean, to each their own, but I'm not really sure I'd let odds like that deter me from visiting the neighborhood. My odds of getting in a car accident are higher when taking into account the number of people going in and out of the neighborhood, or even likely when not doing so.
They were not connected at all. He was hanging around with some friends after work, and the incident happened on the way back to his car. We can talk odd and statistics all day but if it happens to someone that you know, it's a whole different ball game.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:27 PM

31 posts, read 31,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Tremont......

I use to take a client of mine to South Side restaurant right there in Tremont for lunch about 4 times a year, but recently a guy I know was robbed at gun point and when he went to run away, the thugs shot him in the back. He is recovering, but I have no interest in getting robbed much less shot so I will be taking my client to another location for lunch from here on out.

Seriously, **** Tremont and the **** that did this to him. They better pray the cops find them before his associates do.

Man shot in Tremont slapped robber's gun away before making a run for it | cleveland.com

I think I remember you commenting on Cleveland.com. Did they catch the guy who did this? Also you would not recommend moving there? I lived on the west coast for most of my life. Being only a ten minute drive from downtown would cost close to a million. Is there another location with in a 10 minute drive that is safe? As a whole has crime gone down in Cleveland?

Old 08-14-2015, 07:11 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davesantos23 View Post
As a whole has crime gone down in Cleveland?
Nope. Homicides are up significantly this year compared to last. Cleveland will always be a dangerous place unfortunately.

Old 08-14-2015, 07:38 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Nope. Homicides are up significantly this year compared to last. Cleveland will always be a dangerous place unfortunately.
This article is two months old but it looks like homicides are on par with last year. That is unless you found newer news.

Cleveland crime: Number of murders have dropped, shootings increased | fox8.com

Old 08-14-2015, 07:40 PM

I would worry more about robberies and break-ins than murders because murders are often committed upon people that are known to the perpetrators. This is not true about robberies and attempted robberies like the one in Tremont. Gentrification may lessen crime but will not do away with crime entirely. As a matter of fact, neighborhoods on the cusp like many of the ones mentioned will initially experience a degree of crime before it abates. This happens in gentrifying neighborhoods on the cusp everywhere.

• There is much diversity with residents coming from all different backgrounds
  • Some of them are likely new to urban living and are not particularly streetwise
  • Others prey on aloof residents or individuals who look rich (i.e. dressing well or flashing cash)
  • There may be huge economic disparity from block to block or even within a block

We urban planners often look to social and economic indicators on top of crime logs to determine the extent a changing neighborhood is becoming safer or not. Things that help range from closer trust and understanding between residents to strong political leadership.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:30 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I would worry more about robberies and break-ins than murders because murders are often committed upon people that are known to the perpetrators. This is not true about robberies and attempted robberies like the one in Tremont. Gentrification may lessen crime but will not do away with crime entirely. As a matter of fact, neighborhoods on the cusp like many of the ones mentioned will initially experience a degree of crime before it abates. This happens in gentrifying neighborhoods on the cusp everywhere.

• There is much diversity with residents coming from all different backgrounds
  • Some of them are likely new to urban living and are not particularly streetwise
  • Others prey on aloof residents or individuals who look rich (i.e. dressing well or flashing cash)
  • There may be huge economic disparity from block to block or even within a block

We urban planners often look to social and economic indicators on top of crime logs to determine the extent a changing neighborhood is becoming safer or not. Things that help range from closer trust and understanding between residents to strong political leadership.
What?

Old 08-14-2015, 11:08 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This article is two months old but it looks like homicides are on par with last year. That is unless you found newer news.

Cleveland crime: Number of murders have dropped, shootings increased | fox8.com
I forgot where I read it, but to my understanding we are up about 20 murders from last year at this point. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
What?
Yes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland