Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:50 AM

159 posts, read 204,636 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a place to buy our first home and settle down for 5-10 years. We're self employed, and all our efforts at maximizing tax deductions has inadvertently limited our buying power to about $125k, which makes most places basically impossible. We have two kids - 1yo and 3yo. We've just completed a 10 day roadtrip looking at 11 cities of interest in 5 states (all offering insanely different things, which makes comparison difficult!)

I *think* we've narrowed things down to our best bet so far being Cleveland. We're looking around the University Heights area because we seem to be able to get a great house with an easy walk to whole foods, target, playgrounds, and tons of places to hang out or eat. We like the diversity in that area vs the west side of town which appeared pretty much completely white as far as we could tell (and hard to find something in our price range.) Cleveland has a great parks system, very nice outdoor playgrounds, nice beaches (although not the same as the real ocean), and a decent location for road-tripping to other places. Overall it's got a ton going for it in our book, we're really surprised we can afford what we can there!

Some questions and concerns we have if anyone has input on any of this:
  1. Why does Cleveland, and more generally much of OH, seem to be losing population?
  2. What do Clevelanders think about the University Heights/Cleveland Heights/South Euclid area? One thing we've noted with all our city-searching is that by all the standards we've set up to judge a place, it'd make some areas around where we live now seem like great options when we know that they're definitely not. So if we're misjudging these areas it'd be great to know!
  3. Possibly related to #2 - The schools that are popping up in these areas are listed as below average, which surprises us a bit based on our observations driving around. I'm looking at school stats (for instance, Oxford Elementary) and it reports 87% black students and 79% economically disadvantaged with well below state average test scores. Some of these areas we've looked at we recognize that we'd be the only white people on the block, but everyone has seemed very middle class responsible and family oriented - it's surprising to see such high economic disadvantage and low test scores! Do people who care commonly just send their kids to private schools or something? We're trying to make sense of what we're seeing vs the cold hard stats.
  4. What do you do with small children in January/February? Are there indoor playgrounds? What activities are common?
  5. Does anyone know of drop-in/hourly childcare? Anywhere in the metro area is fine, we're just unsure if what we're turning up is actually drop-in or if it's normal part-time daycare programs, they're not super clear like this example.
  6. Would you say it's generally easy or generally difficult for newcomers to make friends in Cleveland?
Any other thoughts on Cleveland as far as raising kids there, or it being a solid/risky financial investment are much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 07:03 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
I'll offer my CA opinion:

1. People are very friendly.
2. The University area has major museums (the kids' zone at the Botanical Gardens is perfect for your youngsters).
3. Yes, the MetroParks system is incredible.
4. CLE HTS has higher prop. taxes than other areas.
5. Lakewood is more diverse than I think you think it is- for the westside.
6. Winter: Sledding! There are places not far from CLE.
7. Schools: I know. Middle class area and low scores. I'd tour a school and see for yourself. I do not go with online "scores" anymore. I've seen better teaching and better vibes in lower "performing" schools.

Just curious: From where are you moving?

Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,307 times
Shaker is a significant upgrade from CH/UH and S. Euclid in terms of schools and you should still probably be able to find something in your price range.

Or go private. Or go to Mayfield Heights.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:56 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
There are great private schools in the area. I don't get why you'd move to a high tax city to get public schools when you could live wherever you want and go private. But that's just me.

I grew up in university heights. Great place for a family but not boring and isolated like other "family suburbs." many kids in university heights go to gesu, not a public school. Then off to Ignatius or Beaumont for example for high school. Just a lot of Irish Catholics in the area.

I've never been a newcomer, but I'd be willing to bet Cleveland is a bit easier to become a part of than other cities depending on where you're from. So if you're from Pittsburgh, it's probably not as much of a problem. I can see people from the south or west coast not enjoying it much though.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:12 AM

My guess on private schools is that if you have a max of around 125K for a house, you don't have 20K more for the private school each year.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
1. Cleveland proper and Cuyahoga County have lost population to surrounding counties as the interstate system was developed. Northeastern Ohio has had a flat population as air-conditioning made the South more attractive, especially for retirees, and as American manufacturing has declined. Ditto for all of Ohio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medina_County,_Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorain_County,_Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_County,_Ohio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geauga_County,_Ohio

2. //www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

3. Generally, persons pay more for housing in school districts with better schools. But you may find something in your price range, a fixer-up perhaps, in the Willoughby-Eastlake school district or Mayfield school district. Perhaps check out the quality of the schools in Berea. In short, start with higher rated school districts and then do a housing search if public schools are a priority.

4. Playing in snow can be lots of fun if parents encourage it. Sledding, snowball fights, snow football, snowman and igloo building, were all things that we did as kids in winter. YMCAs and/or community rec centers also were very popular. Cleveland has downhill skiing and tubing slopes, but cross country skiing and hiking are great in winter.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
My guess on private schools is that if you have a max of around 125K for a house, you don't have 20K more for the private school each year.
I promise you that gesu is not 20k pet year. It's actually 4k. So no, not free, but then again, neither is public school in reality.

I'm not talking about US or hb.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:14 AM

4K for private? Wow!!! That's a steal... providing the teachers are quality. There is no private school here under 22K per year.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:30 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
4K for private? Wow!!! That's a steal... providing the teachers are quality. There is no private school here under 22K per year.
Although parents may like it, as with some charter schools with low scores, the Gesu school in UH may not be that good. Apparently it isn't required to take state tests.

Gesu Elementary School - University Heights, Ohio - OH - School quality

School ratings often reflect student social backgrounds. In districts such as Shaker Hts., and perhaps Cleveland Hts., various programs benefit better students and may provide excellent educations.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Although parents may like it, as with some charter schools with low scores, the Gesu school in UH may not be that good. Apparently it isn't required to take state tests.

Gesu Elementary School - University Heights, Ohio - OH - School quality

School ratings often reflect student social backgrounds. In districts such as Shaker Hts., and perhaps Cleveland Hts., various programs benefit better students and may provide excellent educations.
My brothers and I all turned out fine, as did everyone I went to school with there.

State tests are arbitrary in my opinion.

Though yes, academic success depends most in the family I would agree. There is no magic school public or private that will get you into the Ivy League.

By the way, gesu is far from the only private Catholic school. Just the first one I thought of because it's in uh and I went there. There's still St dominics in shaker, and St Anne's and St Greg's (though I think they have different names now). And many others. I just can't remember my cyo opponents as well as I used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland