Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 09:22 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,399,885 times

Advertisements

I just went to Kohl's to buy an Indians shirt. They have HUNDREDS of them.....and not one with our beloved Chief Wahoo on it. So sad that this icon is being shelved in the name of political correctness.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:40 AM

11,068 posts, read 12,466,771 times
When did Chief Wahoo become "beloved"? I am not an advocate of "PC" stuff, but I mean, Chief Wahoo is incredibly ugly on a strictly aesthetic level. I don't own any Indians gear with that embarrassingly poorly designed logo. Block C is great- traditional, old school, more sophisticated than a goofy cartoon.

Old 10-28-2016, 03:25 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,464,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
When did Chief Wahoo become "beloved"? I am not an advocate of "PC" stuff, but I mean, Chief Wahoo is incredibly ugly on a strictly aesthetic level. I don't own any Indians gear with that embarrassingly poorly designed logo. Block C is great- traditional, old school, more sophisticated than a goofy cartoon.
I agree. Maybe someone has to be born in Cleveland and is used to Chief Wahoo to appreciate the icon, but as a recent transplant my first reaction to the character was "How silly looking."

Maybe it's time for a change.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree. Maybe someone has to be born in Cleveland and is used to Chief Wahoo to appreciate the icon, but as a recent transplant my first reaction to the character was "How silly looking."

Maybe it's time for a change.
Perfect timing too, as comish is willing to take the blame for it.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:29 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,777,075 times
I must be among the minority and I am not from Cleveland. I ardently defend the Chief Wahoo icon, I don't think it is meant to be racist in any way, and I hope it never goes away. I purposely chose to purchase an Indians baseball cap with Chief Wahoo on it when I was visiting Cleveland 3 years ago and would have been very disappointed if I couldn't find one. The smiling Chief gives me back a smile and reminds me of the great team he represents. The Block C is too generic for my tastes just like the caps for all of the other major league teams that only have a letter on them.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:43 PM

1,795 posts, read 1,879,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I must be among the minority and I am not from Cleveland. I ardently defend the Chief Wahoo icon, I don't think it is meant to be racist in any way, and I hope it never goes away. I purposely chose to purchase an Indians baseball cap with Chief Wahoo on it when I was visiting Cleveland 3 years ago and would have been very disappointed if I couldn't find one. The smiling Chief gives me back a smile and reminds me of the great team he represents. The Block C is too generic for my tastes just like the caps for all of the other major league teams that only have a letter on them.
Totally agree I became an Indians fan because of Chief WAHOO and the movie Major League. I love this logo, its my favorite I also like the Boston Celtics logo as well.

Old 10-28-2016, 04:46 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
I just went to Kohl's to buy an Indians shirt. They have HUNDREDS of them.....and not one with our beloved Chief Wahoo on it. So sad that this icon is being shelved in the name of political correctness.
Oh good grief.

Men's Majestic Cleveland Indians Official Logo Synthetic Tee

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-266...estiny-tee.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-220...ack-jacket.jsp

Old 10-28-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Totally agree I became an Indians fan because of Chief WAHOO and the movie Major League. I love this logo, its my favorite I also like the Boston Celtics logo as well.
Interesting. I became an Indians fan because I'm from Cleveland and they absolutely dominated 1994-1999.

As for the block c from urban peasant, I don't think it's generic. Unless all letters are generic. I personally like the simplicity. Look back to the old days, all caps were just letters and less distinguishing than nowadays. I find it classy. Indians chief in my opinion is goofy, so is the oriole and the blue jay. But no I don't think it's "racist" per se.

Old 10-28-2016, 06:59 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,399,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
With you 100%. I love the logos that have some history to them, and Chief Wahoo IS the Cleveland Indians. Not some generic letter. I don't mind them using caps with a "C" on them as an alternate, but I DO mind them shelving an icon. Too many teams have updated their logos and the results have been terrible. Sports is about tradition, and Chief Wahoo goes back a long, long way.

Did I say that one couldn't find them on-line? Of course you can find most ANYTHING you want to buy on-line! The point is, they are not READILY available.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:18 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,476,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
Did I say that one couldn't find them on-line? Of course you can find most ANYTHING you want to buy on-line! The point is, they are not READILY available.
Some people just search for reasons to take offense. I saw some in a couple of stores this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland