Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2018, 03:43 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
True....and maybe Clevelanders are better off in a non-boomtown. But I do miss certain things. But the museums and libraries are much better here than in Seattle. There aren't homeless people camped out everywhere, don't see discarded needles in parks...
Just curious, why do you say that Clevelanders might be better off in a non-boomtown? What are the pros and cons of living in a boomtown since you come from a couple of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 04:16 PM

840 posts, read 760,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Just curious, why do you say that Clevelanders might be better off in a non-boomtown? What are the pros and cons of living in a boomtown since you come from a couple of them?
Well what comes to mind for me is that they become too crowded and there is more competition for resources (housing) which can become too expensive. Gentrification is appealing but if done too rapidly and widely it can displace people and make things harder for those who aren't top earners.

It's fun or it was fun to live in a happening city and have lots of things available. I saw so many cafes, shops, creative businesses in Seattle and it was fun to talk to tourists who visited or know that so many people loved the place (made me feel lucky to be there I guess).

I saw much more change and growth in Seattle. Boston still has more or less the same character and feel it had when I was there years ago but Seattle has become something else entirely in a relatively short period of time and IMO lost its essence and the things that made it unique and appealing. So...it can really be a double edged sword - a booming city attracts a lot of people and business but can lead to loss of some things - affordability, reasonable traffic, slower pace, less crowded etc.

Old 05-02-2018, 06:56 PM

171 posts, read 148,943 times
I think we would all like to see Cleveland grow, but not at the rapid pace that boom towns grow. The bulk of my family lives in Chicago, and honestly, I miss the Chicago of my childhood (before it became a boom town). I really don't like the glitz at all. One reason I like Cleveland is that it reminds me of the Chicago of my youth before it became snob city!

Old 05-03-2018, 10:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
As has been continually stated, too rapid growth is not good over all for the health of a city. Too many people get left behind. Let Cleveland do whatever it takes at its own pace. There's a lot to be improved, certainly, but let's don't make the mistake as so many other cities have as the saying goes by "throwing out the baby with the bath water." Planning improvements to a city should include a place for everyone to be able to live so that no one has to relocate in order to be able to afford to live.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:53 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
As has been continually stated, too rapid growth is not good over all for the health of a city. Too many people get left behind. Let Cleveland do whatever it takes at its own pace. There's a lot to be improved, certainly, but let's don't make the mistake as so many other cities have as the saying goes by "throwing out the baby with the bath water." Planning improvements to a city should include a place for everyone to be able to live so that no one has to relocate in order to be able to afford to live.
How fast was too fast for Portland's growth? Do you think many of these cities cashed in on the Gold Rush for short-term results and will that lead to long-term consequences?

Old 05-03-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
How fast was too fast for Portland's growth? Do you think many of these cities cashed in on the Gold Rush for short-term results and will that lead to long-term consequences?
Sorry, not interested in delving into all this. GOOGLE is your friend.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:44 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouldnm View Post
I think we would all like to see Cleveland grow, but not at the rapid pace that boom towns grow. The bulk of my family lives in Chicago, and honestly, I miss the Chicago of my childhood (before it became a boom town). I really don't like the glitz at all. One reason I like Cleveland is that it reminds me of the Chicago of my youth before it became snob city!
How ironic. One reason I liked Chicago is that in some aspects it reminded me of the Cleveland of my youth (the densely-populated Cleveland that still boasted more than 800,000 people)... still had department stores downtown on State Street... throngs of pedestrians downtown... neighborhood Sears stores, etc.

Old 05-03-2018, 02:48 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
To me that's not specifically a Chicago problem, or a Portland problem, or an [insert city name here] problem... it's an American problem. I've tried to think of an American city that has made a spectacular comeback while bucking that trend, but so far I've come up empty handed. I'm not at all confident that Cleveland can pull it off.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:03 PM

171 posts, read 148,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
How ironic. One reason I liked Chicago is that in some aspects it reminded me of the Cleveland of my youth (the densely-populated Cleveland that still boasted more than 800,000 people)... still had department stores downtown on State Street... throngs of pedestrians downtown... neighborhood Sears stores, etc.
Don't know how recently you've been to Chicago but one thing I've noticed in the last 15-20 years is the proliferation of chains. It's lost a lot of its local flavor. To me Cleveland still has a lot more local flavor. But, yes, the downtown could use a facelift.

Old 05-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
To me that's not specifically a Chicago problem, or a Portland problem, or an [insert city name here] problem... it's an American problem. I've tried to think of an American city that has made a spectacular comeback while bucking that trend, but so far I've come up empty handed. I'm not at all confident that Cleveland can pull it off.
But I don’t think it’s to the extent of Portland and Seattle which have experienced such lightening fast growth. Other cities might have become more expensive places in which to live but salaries and housing have at least somewhat kept up.

I’ve watched Portland making mistake after mistake when it comes to its growth especially in the area of housing. Go to their forum in CD and read what people have to say about a new proposal for an MLB stadium. It’s a good example. Read the thread about the upcoming mayoral election.

That entire forum is moribund other than a few sparks like those that come up every now and then. It reflects how people are so complacent about that city, they’ve given up. People here still care enough to discuss what goes on where they live. I’m watching Cleveland doing better so far. That’s all I can judge by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland