Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 09:42 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,486,704 times

Advertisements

I'll take "Rust Belt" over this any day. We have our faults but we can breathe and are fairly safe from the most dangerous natural elements in the Cleveland area.

https://www.newstimes.com/news/artic...t-13191579.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2018, 10:22 PM

220 posts, read 322,565 times
I agree. In a world, a couple degrees warmer on average, Cleveland is geographically well positioned. It'll be interesting to see how cities adapt to climate change especially in places like Miami and New Orleans with sea level rise, Houston with flooding, and Pheonix et al. with excessive heat.

Speaking of climate change, the Office of Sustainability is hosting a sustainability summit this month Sept. 20th and 21st. Purchase tickets here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-su...ts-46540226069
I went last year and had fun. I joined a working group focusing on the Cleveland Climate Action Plan, highly recommend going if you into this sort of thing.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:23 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,333,130 times
I fear Cleveland is on its way to becoming a Heat Belt city. Now we get temps in the mid-90s on days in May and September... IIRC that was almost unheard of when I was a kid. And has anyone else noticed it doesn't seem to cool off as much as it used to on summer nights? Used to be, daytime highs in the mid-80s meant overnight temps in the mid-60s. Now on such days it often doesn't go below the mid-70s at night.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedRustbelt View Post
I agree. In a world, a couple degrees warmer on average, Cleveland is geographically well positioned. It'll be interesting to see how cities adapt to climate change especially in places like Miami and New Orleans with sea level rise, Houston with flooding, and Pheonix et al. with excessive heat.

Speaking of climate change, the Office of Sustainability is hosting a sustainability summit this month Sept. 20th and 21st. Purchase tickets here:
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/2018-su...ts-46540226069
I went last year and had fun. I joined a working group focusing on the Cleveland Climate Action Plan, highly recommend going if you into this sort of thing.
My poor West Coast and PNW friends really suffered this summer and summers have also been unseasonably hot for the last three. Another reason to be glad I moved here four years ago! AC used to be a novelty in Portland, now it's a must have item. They are learning to adapt but the horrible smoke filled air from the fires can't be remedied. People were literally stuck in their homes for days because it was too dangerous to leave.

I didn't like this miserable heat here any more than anyone else but it was still one thousand times better than what friends and relatives had to live with on the West Coast.
It may have been the warmest here since the fifties but everywhere had a record heat, even Europe. We are in a good place in Cleveland.

Old 09-06-2018, 10:27 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,381,736 times
https://www.google.com/amp/s/article...story_find.amp

Old 09-06-2018, 12:51 PM

Michael Eseme the channel 3 wheather guy said it was not since the '50's we had this many 90 degree days in one summer. I should have clarified that when I said "warmest."

Old 09-08-2018, 01:30 PM

227 posts, read 199,192 times
20 - 30 years from now much of that sunbelt migration will be returning in mass. Cities like Phoenix and Las Vegas should not even exist... they are unsustainable and will be abandoned, full stop. But also much of California and Texas, Denver... basically everywhere west of the Mississippi has a shrinking ceiling in terms of heat and drought. Temps are projected to rise 10 degrees in some of those cities. Populations are set to double in that time frame as well. These compounding forces (heat, drought and pop increases) will run the Colorado River dry just as our oil tap runs dry (40 years max). That will be a scary time and place to be.

Sea level rise will also put lots of pressure on places like HOU, NO, most of Florida, even BOS and NYC.

So yes. Cleveland is positioned well, geographically speaking. Sitting on a large body of fresh water certainly helps. However, we need to start taking better care of it.

Old 09-08-2018, 03:14 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,907,183 times
The Rust Belt has some of the best climates in terms of 4 seasons and a comfortable summer

I agree that Cleveland is well situated in terms of location. It is very unlikely to experience drought or the other horrors that come with the arid climates of the West. I often wonder why some of the populated places out west have people there to begin with: "Hey, this place gets 100 F for half the year and under 5" of rain a year...looks like a cool place to move!" What?!

Old 09-08-2018, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
The Rust Belt has some of the best climates in terms of 4 seasons and a comfortable summer

I agree that Cleveland is well situated in terms of location. It is very unlikely to experience drought or the other horrors that come with the arid climates of the West. I often wonder why some of the populated places out west have people there to begin with: "Hey, this place gets 100 F for half the year and under 5" of rain a year...looks like a cool place to move!" What?!
You and me both. I have family in Santa Monica. Ugh! Not for me. Hot, hot, hot!

Old 09-09-2018, 07:56 AM

227 posts, read 199,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post

Yeah, I mean it's got to be the jobs. Why else? Lots of retirees (used to? still do?) like the dry, warm air, but holy crap is it uncomfortable to me. Maybe they're subconsciously preparing for Mars?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland