Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2022, 10:17 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times

Advertisements

All the models are suggesting a major winter storm for NE Ohio...deviations of track could give us more rain or more snow but a high impact storm regardless....the biggest problem from heavy rain would be that it would lead to a lot of flooding w/ the snow pack melting but also blocking the sewers...then couple that w/ the frigid air behind and we could be dealing w/ a lot of ice around. If you have any drains on your streets that are covered and blocked by snow, especially from the plowing, try and clear them if you can. That will allow the snow melt and rainwater to go where its' supposed to instead of standing around.

I think a foot or more is clearly going to happen after it transitions of it stays on the current track...but again, these storms from the SW are so tricky to forecast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2022, 04:30 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Default Cleveland Hts. unicorn clears driveways

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Winter storm Landon is on the way, with the potential for heavy snow Wed through Fri this week.

https://fox8.com/news/winter-storm-l...hat-to-expect/

My alerts are suggesting 8-11 inches of snow possible..

Since this one involves rain transitioning to freezing rain and snow, this one is giving the forecasters fits.

I would keep the snow blowers and shovels handy.

SlideRules, is this you???

Cleveland Hts. unicorn makes appearance after a Lakewood debut. (Click on link under "now playing" for audio)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sn...?ocid=msedgntp

I wonder if this is a Greater Cleveland tradition in the making, and whether we'll get an appearance from a dinosaur or even hometown Superman!

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ly-thing-to-do

A snow-blowing panda already has taken to driveways in Elyria Township in Lorain County.

Panda-monium in Elyria Township (news5cleveland.com)

Inspired by the "Avengers," perhaps an army of "Removers" could tackle Cleveland's streets after every snow storm. Perhaps I have snow fever.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-03-2022 at 05:02 PM..

Old 02-03-2022, 08:04 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
9 inches today for me in Collinwood/Euclid area. Still not as much as the 15 I had on MLK Day. Probably add a few more inches into tomororw though.

Old 02-03-2022, 08:50 PM

469 posts, read 432,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
SlideRules, is this you???

Cleveland Hts. unicorn makes appearance after a Lakewood debut. (Click on link under "now playing" for audio)

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/sn...?ocid=msedgntp.
Hey that’s awesome! But not me…I’m the moron in CH spending half the day with an old fashioned shovel losing the battle against the white stuff. Tweaked my back today. I have a Snow Joe on order. (Thanks for the links in your separate post….).

Shaping up to be quite a winter!

Old 02-03-2022, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Hey that’s awesome! But not me…I’m the moron in CH spending half the day with an old fashioned shovel losing the battle against the white stuff. Tweaked my back today. I have a Snow Joe on order. (Thanks for the links in your separate post….).

Shaping up to be quite a winter!

We'll probably have to wait until next year for a review of your new Snow Joe, if we have snow next year.

It appears that the "cold front" moves further north every year, not surprising given continuing, even accelerating Arctic amplification.

Our big snow storms now seem to come out of the south, when there is sufficient cold air to convert all of that Gulf of Mexico moisture into snow as a result of GOM moisture more frequently reaching Greater Cleveland from mid-December until mid-February.

We haven't had much lake effect snow this year, despite not much ice cover on Lake Erie.

So the operative question becomes how rapidly will be the decline in the frequency of Arctic air masses reaching Greater Cleveland during this two-month window, and how much will the window shrink in coming years.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-03-2022 at 10:37 PM..

Old 02-04-2022, 09:12 AM

Had a foot in Shaker...shoveled 10" off my driveway last night when I got home and woke up this morning w/ 2 more inches.

Definitely called this storm pretty accurately.

Going to get frigid tonight.

Snow has covered the ground now for 19 straight days.

Old 02-05-2022, 06:59 AM

469 posts, read 432,717 times
This last 10-12” round put me out of commission. Between the long driveway and the walkways/porches/decks, I ended up on the couch on ibuprofen with a seized up lower back. It has been a humbling reminder that I’m not a 25-year old…lol.

From here on out, I’m using a snow blower. I don’t care if it’s only once per year. It’s a worthwhile insurance policy for me.

I may be a good cautionary tale for anyone new to this type of climate.

Old 02-05-2022, 08:51 AM

Quote:
This last 10-12” round put me out of commission. Between the long driveway and the walkways/porches/decks, I ended up on the couch on ibuprofen with a seized up lower back. It has been a humbling reminder that I’m not a 25-year old…lol.

From here on out, I’m using a snow blower. I don’t care if it’s only once per year. It’s a worthwhile insurance policy for me.

I may be a good cautionary tale for anyone new to this type of climate.

We continue to engage in activities far longer than we should do so. Given my age and physical condition, I probably should ditch my beloved, 20+ years-old snow blower. Instead, yesterday I spent 2 1/2 hours, exclusive of a few breaks, cleaning my drive and sidewalks as well as those of a few neighbors.

Did you notice that Snow Joe offers intriguing electric snow shovels/snow throwers that might be excellent for porches and decks (which personally I would defer to a thaw!).

Most of our current snow accumulations likely will be gone by the end of next week.

My goal this year is to get cables back on my roofs (wiring already is in place). I hate worrying about ice dams (even though I have four feet of water shield plastic under my new roof) and have been greatly annoyed/worried by icicles hanging from the roof and dripping onto my front stoop creating an ice hazard requiring scraping and calcium chloride treatments.

I thought I could avoid replacing the cables as they failed given our more mild winters. Like you with your snow blower purchase, I've changed my mind in the last few weeks.

Old 02-05-2022, 09:08 AM

Yesterday (2/4), I used my snow blower for the third time this winter season in Lake County. We had around 9-11 inches of snow, depending upon where I measured (there was much drifting with even higher accumulations on lawn areas/nearer roofs, which were greatly blown clean by the wind).

Many persons in my neighborhood used their snow blowers both Thursday and Friday. I did not, so had to deal with 20 inches of half-frozen snow on the driveway apron.

Again, this was excellent snow blower snow, just moderately heavy, but candidly, it seemed a much tougher task than the greater MLK storm. Perhaps the novelty has warn off, but most likely the snow packed on the apron required much more pushing/grinding even for my large snow blower given the colder temperatures freezing the mess. With a smaller blower, I first would likely have had to break up the apron dam with a shovel or even an ice scraper/chisel.

So much for my practice of waiting to clear snow until both the storm has stopped AND the streets have been cleared. We seemingly had constant snowfall for about 36 hours (I heard on the WEWS weather report that we very unusually had two storms that overlapped).

Old 02-07-2022, 01:53 PM

Saturday I had my mom's dogs out on the ice at Edgewater...several people had dogs out on the ice playing ball w/ them...they had a blast. Thankfully I wasn't on the ice yesterday...I guess the winds pushed it offshore...but Saturday it looked like it stretched out miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland