Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 08:13 PM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
You don't get to decide those things. I am also not sure why it is a bad thing for Cleveland to be added to ACBJ.
His point (I believe) was not that Clevelanders can or will resist a Newhouse journal, but was contradicting your incorrect presumption that Cleveland did not have a local business journal prior to this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2020, 08:46 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
You don't get to decide those things.
Obviously, I don't get to decide such things, so apparently you have an ulterior motive in writing such a ridiculous statement. Do you think Americans shouldn't object to concentration of media control in any given market, let alone have the right to do so?

Do you or a relative or a friend work for Advance???

Quote:
I am also not sure why it is a bad thing for Cleveland to be added to ACBJ.
Advance entering the Cleveland business news market only would be a bad thing if Advance packages advertising deals with its other Cleveland properties in an attempt to run Crain's Cleveland Business, an excellent publication, out of the market.

Personally, Advance IMO has greatly destroyed the quality of The Plain Dealer. Many important stories are not covered, especially regarding the environment IMO, and the quality of editorial opinion at the Plain Dealer/Cleveland.com is embarrassing, even sickening, IMO. It's the only newspaper that I've seen that doesn't have an editorial voice, but instead regularly posts poorly reasoned individual opinions of the individual members of its editorial board.

Recently, the important decision of Sherwin Williams about establishing a new HQ was covered much better by a local blog than by Cleveland.com, as evidenced in posts in this thread.

It was disheartening when Advance was allowed to acquire the Cleveland suburban Sun Newspaper chain.

BTW, having regularly read local business publications from across the country, I much prefer Crain's publications to those of Advance. I also worry that Crain's Cleveland will have to reduce the quality of its editorial product in order to compete with Advance.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:49 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
His point (I believe) was not that Clevelanders can or will resist a Newhouse journal, but was contradicting your incorrect presumption that Cleveland did not have a local business journal prior to this.
That was certainly a major point, but as explained, I also find media concentration abhorrent.

Old 05-05-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
That was certainly a major point, but as explained, I also find media concentration abhorrent.
Got it...

Old 05-10-2020, 05:49 PM

210 posts, read 173,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Advance entering the Cleveland business news market only would be a bad thing if Advance packages advertising deals with its other Cleveland properties in an attempt to run Crain's Cleveland Business, an excellent publication, out of the market.

I also worry that Crain's Cleveland will have to reduce the quality of its editorial product in order to compete with Advance.

I have been pleasantly surprised by Crain's Cleveland Business. It's not the NYT or Fortune, but it's relevant and well written. I hope it continues to thrive.

Old 05-10-2020, 08:06 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/...ourth.html?m=1

Old 05-10-2020, 10:59 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,767 times
The bummer for me...from my window in the Grand Arcade condo building is Tower. It looks like that is going away.

It's at W St Clair and W4th-6th...parking lot directly across street.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:09 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2020/...plays.html?m=1

Old 05-14-2020, 11:18 AM

^ Really good news. It's great that so far that, with the exception of nuCLEus which appears to be struggling to get off/into the ground somewhat, major projects are continuing ahead during COVID (Sherwin-Williams, Harbor Bay/Ohio City Market Sq, and (just announced)... the 44-unit Washington Inn apts just announced:

https://twitter.com/chrisronayne/sta...36673%3Fs%3D19

https://www.ldaarchitecture.com/wasington-inn

Old 05-16-2020, 11:24 AM

100 posts, read 42,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
^ Really good news. It's great that so far that, with the exception of nuCLEus which appears to be struggling to get off/into the ground somewhat, major projects are continuing ahead during COVID (Sherwin-Williams, Harbor Bay/Ohio City Market Sq, and (just announced)... the 44-unit Washington Inn apts just announced:

https://twitter.com/chrisronayne/sta...36673%3Fs%3D19

https://www.ldaarchitecture.com/wasington-inn
I thought nuCLEus was still moving along in a revamped configuration. You did say somewhat in terms of getting off or into the ground as it has been a while since this project was announced. Getting rid of that parking area will be great, adding to cleveland's densifying downtown for sure.

Looking forward to the SW headquarters and hoping for at least a 500'+ building on Public Square but according to the article written by the blogger, it could be at least 600'+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland