Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 10:24 AM

254 posts, read 307,822 times

Advertisements

As I'm house-hunting, I'm wondering how folks here feel about the Clark-Fulton neighborhood, especially the general area around the Clark-Fulton intersection, St. Rocco's, etc.

Would you feel safe living in this area?
Would you feel safe running/walking outside (in the daylight) in this area?
Would you feel safer here or in Cudell?
Would you feel safer here of in the West Blvd neighborhood?
Would you feel safer here or in Tremont?
Would you be satisfied with the surrounding retail in this neighborhood?
Do you or anyone you know have any experience with this neighborhood?
Do you think this neighborhood is improving or getting worse?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 02:04 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,321,711 times
I don't have more than a passing experience with the neighborhood as it is now (compared to when I was a kid when there was a strong Italian presence), but I know a couple different people who live in the area and seem to like it.

I've passed through during the daytime, walked a little bit and stopped at places like McDonald's and Walgreens, and felt OK, didn't feel unsafe. Have no idea what it's like at night, though.

Except for fast food and drugstores, retail in the area seems rather lacking to me. Where does one grocery shop, for example? What businesses there are appear to be mostly Hispanic-oriented. I hear Tesca on West 25th is a great place for Mediterranean food, although I have not tried it yet.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:10 PM

11,063 posts, read 12,460,703 times
I have a weird affinity for the place. It's interesting. I dont think it's all that bad. But never lived there. I'd be careful about buying though. The st roccos area seems like the best part. Rent a year and decide.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:18 PM

254 posts, read 307,822 times
Quote:
Where does one grocery shop, for example?
This is a valid criticism. Unless one is satisfied with Sav A Lot, one definitely drives out of the neighborhood to get groceries. To be fair, that's probably the case with most Cleveland neighborhoods.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
This is a valid criticism. Unless one is satisfied with Sav A Lot, one definitely drives out of the neighborhood to get groceries. To be fair, that's probably the case with most Cleveland neighborhoods.

West side market or Dave's Ohio city arent that far.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:03 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,944 times
https://www.lavillahispana.org/about-la-villa-hispana

https://www.freshwatercleveland.com/...lvh051619.aspx

Old 09-16-2019, 07:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,985,978 times
I don't have any firsthand experience with the neighborhood other than passing through, but I would consider where you are in life and where you will be in the future.

I lived in a somewhat similar area in another city, and it was a good fit for that stage of my life (bought at 25 as a single male). Now over 30, married with a kid, and much less free time (for repairs and neighborhood volunteering)...it wouldn't be as good of a fit.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
West side market or Dave's Ohio city arent that far.
They're far enough to be a problem for those who need walkability. Of course, one does see people bring their grocery carts onto the bus and block the aisle. I for one never want to become one of those people.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbowes80 View Post
I didn't even realize there was a Save A Lot in the area. (I'm guessing the 3024 Clark Avenue location is where the Pick-n-Pay used to be?) They do have low prices on most items, but not many brand names (if that matters) and a rather limited selection overall. (They're like a more ghetto version of Aldi.) But better than nothing, I suppose.

Old 09-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
They're far enough to be a problem for those who need walkability. Of course, one does see people bring their grocery carts onto the bus and block the aisle. I for one never want to become one of those people.
All my years in Boston, I never lived close to a grocery store (1.5 miles was the closest) and I was one of those people in the winter. Wasn't great, but doable. Not sure why grocery stores are such a problem all over. Every neighborhood should have one right in the center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland