Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:55 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times

Advertisements

I dont really know anybody that thought about the winter weather when they were picking out their car. Its not that bad over here and pretty much any car will do in the winter, people around here drive every car you can think of in the winter. The only area around Cleveland I would worry about is the areas far East and NE of Cleveland. If you live in the city or on the westside or close Eastside suburbs it shouldnt affect which car you should pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 08:47 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
wait till you see what the snow tires are going to cost you on the scion, you will want rims to go with them i'm sure... would hate to ruin nice chromes or mags... the tc is lousy in the snow.. performance sized.... remember the geo storm gsi.. oh what a nightmare... or think of a miata... oh even worse

Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 10,207 times
Default Car selection for Cleveland winter

Hey, I'm back here..
Thanks to views from you all, have decided on the car, am in final deal stage..
Will anyone please tell me if GAP Insurance is compulsory?
I have understood how I will benefit, the question I have is, is it legally required?

Thanks as in the past..

Old 06-07-2008, 09:17 PM

436 posts, read 1,647,412 times
Well, forgive me for being slow, but I really have no clue what that means.
However, on the other hand, basically as long as you don't ride peoples' bumpers and drive recklessly or fast, you will be fine. I can't say much for the other drivers on the road, but just do those few things and you'll lessen your chances of an accident.
As far as snow tires...I wouldnt waste the money. If you are going for a sportier car, granted they might come with performance OEM tires, but I really don't think that you need snow tires.
I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX that has coilovers (it's lowered - about 3 inches off the ground) and aftermarket Enkei's with Nitto NeoGens on them. All I do is raise the car in the winter (otherwise its a snow plow) and switch out the wheels to the stocks, which have all-weather tires on them. I have never had any problems.
I have, however, seen trucks and AWD SUVs in ditches so don't let that fool you.

So, basically, as long as you don't drive like a complete moron - watch your distance and your speed - then you'll be alright. No snow tires needed. Promise. Now, I know that you can customize the Scion TC quite a bit, so if you end up purchasing the car with low-profile tires, just be aware that you will need to switch them out. Believe me - I have been in the Civic in the snow with the aftermarkets on enough to know that sliding around in the snow is not fun - unless you are drifting or doing donuts in a large parking lot.

Hopefully, you will understand all that I said above (I know some people won't). Btw - I would go with a Japanese car (sorry, American car lovers - maybe I'm biased?)
Remember - you only need all-weathers.

Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 PM

gap insurance is not legally required, if a dealer tells you that, walk out and go to another one... gap insurance is another big profit maker for the dealership, just like extended warranties.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:29 PM

13 posts, read 28,098 times
Default Vehicle for winter

I was looking to purchase an Acura RDX. Do you think this vehicle will be too high off the ground during the winter?

Acura RDX Review - Edmunds.com

This is a link for a pic of the car.

Thanks so much.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 AM

436 posts, read 1,647,412 times
Too high off the ground during winter? I don't think that would be an issue. Typically stock SUVs and trucks have a reasonable center of gravity so that they are safe and won't tip over. Usually the AWD trucks and SUVs you would see in the ditches have nothing to do with the large amount of ground clearance they have, but rather with the stupidity of the driver behind the wheel. They don't realize that AWD means nothing when speed, following too close and not paying attention come into play when you are driving in winter weather conditions. (Sry not trying to scare anyone).
Aside from that, higher ground clearance means still being able to drive around after a large snowfall without getting stuck or ripping out portions of bumpers, etc (where as I have to garage my car and am stranded at home).

Acuras are very good cars. They are the 'luxury' side of Honda.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM

18 posts, read 35,185 times
formerly from cleveland i would consider any of those to be perfectly reliable for snow driving i may shy away from the scion tc but the others are all well tested in cleveland weather

Old 06-13-2008, 07:56 PM

you should be able to save a lot off list.. suv's are completely and i mean completely dead in the water right now. the rdx is considered a crossover.. negotiate hard... walk away, they WILL call you back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland