Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 01:28 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
She asked about crime in Cleveland. And, as usual, I responded with the truth. And I think everyone on this forum understands the difference between crime totals and crime rates - to suggest that the OP wouldn't understand that (especially when my post references crime rates) is truly condescending in my opinion.

OP - there are many real estate agents and others on CD who have a vested interest in enticing people to move to their particular location, so be mindful of that. The reality is that Cleveland has high rates of murder, robbery, rape, etc. And, of course, like any city, much, but not all, of the crime is concentrated in areas of poverty. So like I said in my post, if your daughter avoids bad areas, she'll greatly reduce her risk of becoming a victim. But with that being said, violent crime does exist in more tourist-friendly areas including downtown, Tremont, and Ohio City, but at lower rates than East Cleveland, for example.
Really, who vacations in East Cleveland? That would be like visiting NYC and traveling to East New York or Jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2021, 01:46 PM

194 posts, read 189,873 times
Who said anything about vacationing in EC? If I didn't include the last clause above about EC, then one or more posters would have responded and said, "but the crime rates downtown are much lower than in East Cleveland." So I don't follow what your point is. Is something in my post above inaccurate?

And I, too, am from NY, except I'm from the city (BX) and not Strong Island.

Old 07-14-2021, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Who said anything about vacationing in EC? If I didn't include the last clause above about EC, then one or more posters would have responded and said, "but the crime rates downtown are much lower than in East Cleveland." So I don't follow what your point is. Is something in my post above inaccurate?

And I, too, am from NY, except I'm from the city (BX) and not Strong Island.
Ummmm. I am originally from the Grand Concourse. Both sides of my family are from the Bronx. For 300 years. We played in Poe Park and watched movies at Lowe's Paradise. Shopped in Alexander's.

My mother went to Walton High School and the Fieldston School. My father, Bronx Science.

That's funny...

Old 07-15-2021, 05:14 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You know what? You should be on the city of Cleveland's Bureau of Tourism and getting a nice paycheck with your informative posts!

I am mildly disturbed by people's perception of cities - including Cleveland, as being dangerous places. In general, there are not. As long as one stays in good areas - which in metropolitan areas are rather easy to distinguish because if you ask a local, or check a guidebook, the bad areas are well known.

Most of you know that I am originally from the NYC metropolitan area and that I grew up on Long Island.

When most people think of Long Island they think of upper-middle-class tract houses, Gold Coast estates, ocean beaches, conspicuous consumption, excellent schools, and shopping malls. And all of that is true.

HOWEVER - I'd rather be in Midtown Manhattan ANY NIGHT of the WEEK than in certain far Eastern Long Island communities that have country roads dotted with rusty house trailers and ill-kept tiny homes that are inhabited by people who are far less than welcoming, have families that go back to colonial times and seem kind of inbred and angry. There are places in upstate NY like that too. Give me Rochester or Buffalo any day of the week over the Appalachian part of NYS - or the "Bonnakers" of Eastern LI. Same with Shirley and the Mastics. No, that's not an early 1960s Girl Group, it's a rundown Eastern LI area strangely near the Hamptons that should be avoided.

Same for Warren where I live. I would rather walk around well-lit areas of Warren, with its nascent, but growing nightlife, art galleries, restaurants, wineries, and craft brewery, than walk around dilapidated Leavitsburrg, Braceville, or Parkman.

In a city, if you feel uncomfortable, there is usually someplace safe that is open at night, and where you can call for help if needed.

I have a friend from NY who flew into Cleveland last weekend with his teenage kids. They were very impressed by the number of good ethnic restaurants, - Lebanese and Ethiopian, as well as the Rock Hall and the art museum. They intend to return.
Exactly!

E.g., East Cleveland is not eastern Cleveland, but a separate municipality adjacent to University Circle. It is not a place to visit for a tourist, except for Lake View Cemetery, one of the nation's great Victorian cemeteries and home of the exquisite Wade (Jeptha Wade was a co-founder of Western Union, the telegraph monopoly) Memorial Chapel and Garfield Monument. The Wade Chapel, I believe, is the only Tiffany interior left in the U.S. with one of Tiffany's very best stained glass windows. The Garfield Monument is the largest Presidential tomb in the U.S. with some excellent interior features. It's definitely worth a visit by an art-minded tourist.

The Healthline bus rapid stops in front of Lake View's main entrance. The main office there can provide a map (Rockefeller's grave site to the east (left) of Garfield Monument main entrance is marked by a giant obelisk that has been sand-blasted so is easy to find; leave a dime on John D.'s tombstone for good luck). The hike is uphill if walking. An alternative is take a bus to the southern entrance off Mayfield Road and walk downhill. Check for Covid hours for both the Wade Chapel and the Garfield Monument before visiting by CALLING. These hours likely are accurate, not note they are very limited. An informed tourist wishing to visit Lake View would need to be in Cleveland Thursday-Sunday, arriving early to fully utilize the very limited hours. Bring binoculars to enjoy the great views from the Garfield Monument terrace.

https://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/visit/hours-directions

Google transit is invaluable for a Cleveland tourist without a car. I believe the RTA website offers Google transit. RTA day passes are a bargain.

The heart of Little Italy is a short, safe walk downhill from the southern entrance on Mayfield Road near the Garfield Monument. Parking in Little Italy can be problematic, but there is lot near the Red Line rail rapid station.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-15-2021 at 05:22 AM..

Old 07-15-2021, 06:45 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
The east side certainly has its problems but I think we sometimes lose the bigger picture. Yes there are large areas where I would not want to live and would not recommend visitors ever go to. How they would ever stumble upon these places, I'm not quite sure. But it's true enough anyway. But let's be real, basically everything from the Cleveland Clinic/University Circle going east (south of Lake View Cemetery and Forest Hills Park) down between Mayfield to the North and Van Aken to the South is totally fine. It's not all equally nice but really functional as part of the city (even though this technically includes other municipalities than Cleveland) and is really no more "dangerous" than any other city in the country. Not all of it is equally sexy from an urban living/artsy standpoint, but I would have no problem walking anywhere in the area. I frequently do.

The main urban centers here would be (ranked in order of preference in my opinion)
1. Little Italy
2. Cedar-Fairmount
3. Larchmere/Shaker Square
4. Cedar-Lee
5. Coventry Village

You might make a case that Van Aken District and Fairmount Circle could also be considered some kind of center, but imo they are too specialized but they still play a positive role in the area.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Exactly!

E.g., East Cleveland is not eastern Cleveland, but a separate municipality adjacent to University Circle. It is not a place to visit for a tourist, except for Lake View Cemetery, one of the nation's great Victorian cemeteries and home of the exquisite Wade (Jeptha Wade was a co-founder of Western Union, the telegraph monopoly) Memorial Chapel and Garfield Monument. The Wade Chapel, I believe, is the only Tiffany interior left in the U.S. with one of Tiffany's very best stained glass windows. The Garfield Monument is the largest Presidential tomb in the U.S. with some excellent interior features. It's definitely worth a visit by an art-minded tourist.

The Healthline bus rapid stops in front of Lake View's main entrance. The main office there can provide a map (Rockefeller's grave site to the east (left) of Garfield Monument main entrance is marked by a giant obelisk that has been sand-blasted so is easy to find; leave a dime on John D.'s tombstone for good luck). The hike is uphill if walking. An alternative is take a bus to the southern entrance off Mayfield Road and walk downhill. Check for Covid hours for both the Wade Chapel and the Garfield Monument before visiting by CALLING. These hours likely are accurate, not note they are very limited. An informed tourist wishing to visit Lake View would need to be in Cleveland Thursday-Sunday, arriving early to fully utilize the very limited hours. Bring binoculars to enjoy the great views from the Garfield Monument terrace.

https://www.lakeviewcemetery.com/visit/hours-directions

Google transit is invaluable for a Cleveland tourist without a car. I believe the RTA website offers Google transit. RTA day passes are a bargain.

The heart of Little Italy is a short, safe walk downhill from the southern entrance on Mayfield Road near the Garfield Monument. Parking in Little Italy can be problematic, but there is lot near the Red Line rail rapid station.
I didn't know about the Wade Chapel! Thanks for the info. I am a sucker for Tiffany windows. Thanks for the heads up on calling first, too.

As to Little Italy, I have to admit, I haven't been to Cleveland's L.I. yet. If you are driving, where is the best place to park? I don't mind walking but we'd naturally be traveling by car. The Garfield Monument coupled with Little Italy sounds like a good summer activity.

So, I guess you would park near the cemetery and walk to Little Italy?

What is the absolute best Italian restaurant in Little Italy? There is no shortage of good Italian food in NE Ohio, but what is the BEST? My husband's first late wife was Italian so he has high standards.

Honestly, you should write a book about the area geared to both tourists and newbies. It would be interesting and informative.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The east side certainly has its problems but I think we sometimes lose the bigger picture. Yes there are large areas where I would not want to live and would not recommend visitors ever go to. How they would ever stumble upon these places, I'm not quite sure. But it's true enough anyway. But let's be real, basically everything from the Cleveland Clinic/University Circle going east (south of Lake View Cemetery and Forest Hills Park) down between Mayfield to the North and Van Aken to the South is totally fine. It's not all equally nice but really functional as part of the city (even though this technically includes other municipalities than Cleveland) and is really no more "dangerous" than any other city in the country. Not all of it is equally sexy from an urban living/artsy standpoint, but I would have no problem walking anywhere in the area. I frequently do.

The main urban centers here would be (ranked in order of preference in my opinion)
1. Little Italy
2. Cedar-Fairmount
3. Larchmere/Shaker Square
4. Cedar-Lee
5. Coventry Village

You might make a case that Van Aken District and Fairmount Circle could also be considered some kind of center, but imo they are too specialized but they still play a positive role in the area.
More good info. Can't rep you yet Jimmy. Or you. WR. All CITIES have good and bad areas. They aren't suburbs. I am so sick of explaiing this to others.

Old 07-15-2021, 11:38 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,237,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
It also happens to be, in my opinion, by far the best, most fun, and most interesting city of the three. And I don't think it's particularly close.
Agreed...I'd rank them

1) Cleveland
2) Pittsburgh
3) Columbus

Though the art scene in Columbus is pretty good in the Short North. Still if possible I'd change and go Cincinnati over Columbus....Columbus doesn't fit w/ Cleveland and Pittsburgh as much as Cincinnati does.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:09 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I didn't know about the Wade Chapel! Thanks for the info. I am a sucker for Tiffany windows. Thanks for the heads up on calling first, too.

As to Little Italy, I have to admit, I haven't been to Cleveland's L.I. yet. If you are driving, where is the best place to park? I don't mind walking but we'd naturally be traveling by car. The Garfield Monument coupled with Little Italy sounds like a good summer activity.

So, I guess you would park near the cemetery and walk to Little Italy?

What is the absolute best Italian restaurant in Little Italy? There is no shortage of good Italian food in NE Ohio, but what is the BEST? My husband's first late wife was Italian so he has high standards.

Honestly, you should write a book about the area geared to both tourists and newbies. It would be interesting and informative.
When I go to Little Italy, I typically do street parking on Murray Hill or Random Road. Chances are you will end up a few blocks from Mayfield, but it will be closer than parking up by Lakeview or Coventry.

People's views will vary on the best restaurant question, but I would go with La Dolce Vita or Guarino's. La Dolce Vita feels more modern and hip, Guarino's is very old school. But my favorite places to go in Little Italy are Presti's for their sandiwches and desserts, and then the Algebra Tea house just to chill (and I appreciate it's a place I can go hang out at night til 11 pm and not have to drink alcohol).

Old 07-15-2021, 01:28 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,095 times
I’d also put Michaelangelos at or near the top for Little Italy restaurants. I know the chef there has a national reputation as a great chef, and he splits his time between there and some ritzy ski resort in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland