Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 08:57 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I thought of hipster as being synonymous with yuppie....i see there is a difference. Guess i don't keep up enough with modern terminology! Not sure what the OP meant by the term when he/she used it. I guess my thinking is more that an area is being "discovered", going "upscale" when a Starbucks opens...at least that's how it went back in Seattle....but that was a few years back as well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 09:11 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Default Maggie's Donuts opens in Chardon

A diet-breaking donut shop isn't hipster or yuppie IMO, but it fits well into Chardon's culture IMO.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...uts-in-chardon

The picture of Maggie's glazed donuts reminds me of the famous glazed donuts of the legendary Hough Bakery chain. I see a trip to Chardon in the near future, although I've slashed my donut buying in Lake County.

https://maggiesdonuts.com/

It looks like Maggie's started in Middlefield just over 50 years ago.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:29 AM

469 posts, read 433,316 times
Just for fun…from Wikipedia:

“The 21st-century hipster is a subculture (sometimes called hipsterism)[1][2] that is defined by claims to authenticity and uniqueness yet, ironically, is notably lacking in authenticity and conforms to a collective style. The subculture embodies a particular ethic of consumption that seeks to commodify the idea of rebellion or counterculture. Fashion is one of the major markers of hipster identity.[3][4][5] Members of the subculture typically do not self-identify as hipsters,[1] and the word hipster is often used as a pejorative for someone who is pretentious or overly concerned with appearing trendy or fashionable in a non-mainstream way.[6]

Stereotypical fashion elements include vintage clothes, alternative fashion, or a mixture of different fashions, often including skinny jeans, checked shirts, knit beanies, a full beard or deliberately attention-grabbing moustache, and thick-rimmed or lensless glasses.[7] The subculture is broadly associated with indie and alternative music. In the United States, it is mostly associated with perceived upper-middle-class white young adults who gentrify urban areas.[2][4][8][9]

The term hipster in its present usage first appeared in the 1990s and became particularly prominent in the late 2000s and early 2010s,[10] being derived from the earlier hipster movements of the 1940s.[11]”

IMO the real decline of hipsterism started in 2011 or so, around the time the Portlandia TV show started skewering the movement with its clever parodies.

I do see hipster activity around CLE, with Lakewood probably the hotbed, some elements in Cleveland Heights, and of course the gentrified areas in neighborhoods like Ohio City and Tremont. “Barometers” of a hipster area include things like vegan restaurants, tattoo parlors, and indie coffee shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland