Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 06:54 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times

Advertisements

It's a little bit of a haul to get over to Wooster, but Ramseyer Farms is hands down the best outdoor option in the area in October for kids. A "barely walking baby" will be a little young for most of the games and activities, but I think you will still find enough to be worth it. Petting and feeding the animals, "swimming" in the corn pit, riding the hay ride, going down slides and jumping on the bounce pad together, and maybe trying the baby/toddler play areas.

There is even a dedicated private shed for breastfeeding and diaper changing.

I think it is worth it even with a baby, but definitely consider it when she is older. Coming from Florida, it would be a great traditional fall activity.

There is also an independent toy store just down the road called Toyrifix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2021, 10:03 AM

4,536 posts, read 5,103,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

The Waterfront Line is closed. So consider if you want to climb out of the Flats with a young daughter. Perhaps park there before relocating for the game.
Yes, and RTA also discontinued the C-Line trolley to the Flats, too, so there is currently zero public transp down there, so we've gotten used to hoofing it back 'n forth to Public Sq. (we've scootered over, too). One trick to circumventing most of the uphill walk is by taking the Aloft Hotel elevators 6-floors up to the hotel's front-desk lobby, but left-turning and heading down the hallway and out EW's front doors -- this cuts off 3/4s the uphill climb. I don't mind it normally, but if we're tired, full or a bit tipsy, then ...

Old 09-28-2021, 10:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Yes, and RTA also discontinued the C-Line trolley to the Flats, too, so there is currently zero public transp down there, so we've gotten used to hoofing it back 'n forth to Public Sq. (we've scootered over, too). One trick to circumventing most of the uphill walk is by taking the Aloft Hotel elevators 6-floors up to the hotel's front-desk lobby, but left-turning and heading down the hallway and out EW's front doors -- this cuts off 3/4s the uphill climb. I don't mind it normally, but if we're tired, full or a bit tipsy, then ...
As always, can't give you more cred, but GREAT insider tip!!!

Old 09-29-2021, 12:25 PM

Quote:
As always, can't give you more cred, but GREAT insider tip!!!
-- I meant EY, btw...

Old 09-29-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
-- I meant EY, btw...
The Ernst Young Tower and not the Aloft Hotel? The EY Tower lobby closes at 5 p.m. weekdays and isn't open weekends. So only of benefit for weekday, afternoon visits to the Flats.

If you meant the EY Tower, have you ever checked out the Aloft Hotel to see if it has an entrance at a higher elevation which can be accessed by elevator by non-guests? I called the Aloft and the operator said the only entrance is from the Flats, so, if accurate, an uphill walk is required with the Waterfront Line closed.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
The Ernst Young Tower and not the Aloft Hotel? The EY Tower lobby closes at 5 p.m. weekdays and isn't open weekends. So only of benefit for weekday, afternoon visits to the Flats.

If you meant the EY Tower, have you ever checked out the Aloft Hotel to see if it has an entrance at a higher elevation which can be accessed by elevator by non-guests? I called the Aloft and the operator said the only entrance is from the Flats, so, if accurate, an uphill walk is required with the Waterfront Line closed.
The Aloft's check-in desk/lobby is on the same corridor as EY's front entrance -- 6 floors up from the Flats. If you turn left toward EY as opposed to right, which goes into the Aloft, you will go down a glass corridor past several doors to an open grassy courtyard where wedding parties and other large events are held... So long as you don't try and go up in the EY towers, you can exit their main door anytime -- the guards don't bother you, so it's no problem.

Old 09-29-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
The Aloft's check-in desk/lobby is on the same corridor as EY's front entrance -- 6 floors up from the Flats. If you turn left toward EY as opposed to right, which goes into the Aloft, you will go down a glass corridor past several doors to an open grassy courtyard where wedding parties and other large events are held... So long as you don't try and go up in the EY towers, you can exit their main door anytime -- the guards don't bother you, so it's no problem.
I'm confused. The Aloft operator said that they don't have an entrance at the Flats level, which did seem strange. I've never been in either building.

So, if I'm in the East Flats, where do I enter the Aloft Hotel, and where do I then go to reach the elevator. Once you reach the elevator, you take it to the 6th floor, then upon exiting head left towards the EY exit?

TIA!

Old 09-29-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
I'm confused. The Aloft operator said that they don't have an entrance at the Flats level, which did seem strange. I've never been in either building.

So, if I'm in the East Flats, where do I enter the Aloft Hotel, and where do I then go to reach the elevator. Once you reach the elevator, you take it to the 6th floor, then upon exiting head left towards the EY exit?

TIA!
You enter the Aloft at the valet entrance next to Lago restaurant, here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5003...8i8192!5m1!1e2

The hotel lobby is not on this level -- it is just an entrance. You must take the lobby 6 floors up (from the Flats) to get to the hotel lobby level -- this is similar to the Ritz-Carlton's setup at Tower City where the lobby is on an elevated level... and, again, exit the EY lobby at that level -- EY and Aloft are connected by the aforementioned corridor.

Whatever they are telling you on the phone: don't listen to them if they are saying you cannot do this. We use this uphill route back to downtown (West 9th Street) level all the time, and at all hours - even when Flats restaurant and clubs are closing.

Side note:

When the 'new' Flats East Bank was being developed, I had hoped some innovator would have built an escalator between the Flats and downtown levels -- it's a stiff uphill walk if you are not up to it. Other cities would have done this because they would treasure the Flats -- the new Flats are a hit. Instead, here in Cleveland, we make it tougher to access our treasure rather than making it easier. After COVID eased up a bit, the Flats East Bank morphed back into the huge hit it was becoming prior to COVID. But now there is no Waterfront Line Rapid service; not for 2 years... at least -- and even before the current bridge crisis, RTA was choking off Waterfront Line service -- cutting it off at 7p even on popular, crowded weekend nights.

But RTA steered everyone to their 'free' Trolley (C-Line) to/from the Flats, even though Trolleys stopped at 11p (well before many restaurants and most clubs closed) and the Trolleys would often get stuck in traffic.

Now, RTA isn't even running the Trolleys... why? On top of that, they now have traffic cops on weekend nights directing traffic so you cannot come up through downtown; you are now forced to drive over to the West Side to get out by car ... The only alternative? walk.

I love Cleveland but, time and again, we prove ourselves to be not ready for Prime Time ... at least from an entertainment and tourist standpoint. In fact, I still hear Cleveland make snide remarks about tourists -- the typical circle-your-wagons, Cleveland is for Clevelanders mentality... It's very frustrating.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:54 AM

11,058 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
You enter the Aloft at the valet entrance next to Lago restaurant, here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.5003...8i8192!5m1!1e2

The hotel lobby is not on this level -- it is just an entrance. You must take the lobby 6 floors up (from the Flats) to get to the hotel lobby level -- this is similar to the Ritz-Carlton's setup at Tower City where the lobby is on an elevated level... and, again, exit the EY lobby at that level -- EY and Aloft are connected by the aforementioned corridor.

Whatever they are telling you on the phone: don't listen to them if they are saying you cannot do this. We use this uphill route back to downtown (West 9th Street) level all the time, and at all hours - even when Flats restaurant and clubs are closing.

Side note:

When the 'new' Flats East Bank was being developed, I had hoped some innovator would have built an escalator between the Flats and downtown levels -- it's a stiff uphill walk if you are not up to it. Other cities would have done this because they would treasure the Flats -- the new Flats are a hit. Instead, here in Cleveland, we make it tougher to access our treasure rather than making it easier. After COVID eased up a bit, the Flats East Bank morphed back into the huge hit it was becoming prior to COVID. But now there is no Waterfront Line Rapid service; not for 2 years... at least -- and even before the current bridge crisis, RTA was choking off Waterfront Line service -- cutting it off at 7p even on popular, crowded weekend nights.

But RTA steered everyone to their 'free' Trolley (C-Line) to/from the Flats, even though Trolleys stopped at 11p (well before many restaurants and most clubs closed) and the Trolleys would often get stuck in traffic.

Now, RTA isn't even running the Trolleys... why? On top of that, they now have traffic cops on weekend nights directing traffic so you cannot come up through downtown; you are now forced to drive over to the West Side to get out by car ... The only alternative? walk.

I love Cleveland but, time and again, we prove ourselves to be not ready for Prime Time ... at least from an entertainment and tourist standpoint. In fact, I still hear Cleveland make snide remarks about tourists -- the typical circle-your-wagons, Cleveland is for Clevelanders mentality... It's very frustrating.
For many cities, "Covid" is just "austerity" by a different name. A socially acceptable reason to cut public access to everything. It is despicable, I agree.

Old 10-03-2021, 08:03 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,674,034 times
That connection through Aloft does sound useful if I end up heading that way-so I appreciate that!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland