Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2021, 10:53 AM

19 posts, read 25,744 times

Advertisements

My husband may be transferred to Cleveland sometime next year, and we’re looking for a neighborhood similar to Mt. Lebanon. I’m hoping someone here is either from Pittsburgh, or very familiar with it. For those not familiar, it is a walkable suburb with older homes, and a lot of kids. Kids walk to school, there is a lot of community pride, community events, and people are always outside. There are also a couple shopping/dining areas. We like how busy it is, and we like being close to the city. If anyone has any suggestions on areas to check out, we’d appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2021, 11:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twkxo View Post
My husband may be transferred to Cleveland sometime next year, and we’re looking for a neighborhood similar to Mt. Lebanon. I’m hoping someone here is either from Pittsburgh, or very familiar with it. For those not familiar, it is a walkable suburb with older homes, and a lot of kids. Kids walk to school, there is a lot of community pride, community events, and people are always outside. There are also a couple shopping/dining areas. We like how busy it is, and we like being close to the city. If anyone has any suggestions on areas to check out, we’d appreciate it!
Shaker Hts. (esp. IMO the Fernway School neighborhood) on the east side, and Rocky River on the west side.

Read through this thread beginning with post 3.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

This thread focuses on west side communities such as Rocky River.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...mmunities.html

Greater Cleveland has excellent park systems. Many home purchasers enjoy locating within walking or biking distance of one or more metroparks.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...etroparks.html

Use the search engine to find the many threads discussing Cleveland and Pittsburgh, often in the city vs. city forum.

Good luck!

Old 11-09-2021, 11:15 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twkxo View Post
Sounds a lot like Lakewood to me.

Old 11-10-2021, 01:01 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, & Lakewood.

Shaker Heights is the closest analog to Mt. Lebanon for sure. Older suburb with nice architecture, similar population size, light rail lines, has a degree of walkability, and is one of the short-list suburbs that transplants move to. Shaker is far more socially liberal and diverse than Mt. Lebo, though.

Lakewood is a bit more dense and urban. It's kinda hard to pin down a comparison to Pittsburgh. Maybe it's most like Dormont/Mt. Washington/South Side?

Cleveland Heights is technically a suburb, but it would be actually be similar to living in some of the East End neighborhoods in Pittsburgh proper. It's adjacent to Cleveland's University Circle neighborhood, which is similar to Oakland. It's a big place and neighborhood vibe varies greatly, so you'd have to check out multiple areas to give it a fair shake.

Old 11-19-2021, 12:22 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Shaker Heights and Lakewood were the top two Cleveland suburbs that came to mind for me. I live in Pittsburgh and visited Cleveland very frequently before the pandemic because I really like Cleveland.

Old 11-29-2021, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 2,465 times
If you're open to the Akron region I'd also suggest Hudson or Cuyahoga Falls. Also close-knit communities w/ neotraditional downtown areas and a lot of mom/pop small businesses.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:26 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Shaker Hts would definitely suit your needs...of course knowing your housing budget would be most helpful. Shaker has very high taxes, but because of that, it keeps the cost of real estate slightly lower than you would think...and those taxes allow for a lot of great services in town. I live in Lomond neighborhood and it's full of a great hold houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland