Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:47 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
I've traveled all over US and have never met anyone who thought that those cities had booming ecomomies and low unemployment. At least, not for the last decade +. What Forbes reported isn't new shocking news.
They why did they make the report at all? And why give it such a stupid headline, if not just for attention?

More attention = more money from sponsors = loss of credibility. (for me, at least)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2008, 09:37 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
They why did they make the report at all? And why give it such a stupid headline, if not just for attention?

More attention = more money from sponsors = loss of credibility. (for me, at least)
Actually, I don't see it that way, but I'm not surprised that some people do. The reality is Free Trade has gutted the economies of those areas and they are dying faster than anywhere else, because WE DON'T MAKE ANYTHING IN AMERICA ANYMORE (remember, the exception doesn't prove the rule).

I'm sure many people assume that those areas have stabilized. Well, guess what, they haven't! The loss of manufacturing is still killing America. It destroyed Great Britain and it will do the same thing to America. So, it is news to every American.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:44 AM

Remember, Free Trade was supposed to be good for America and "everyone" still seems to think that. So, for them, this article is "news," that they need to be confronted with, at every opportunity.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:51 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
I've traveled all over US and have never met anyone who thought that those cities had booming ecomomies and low unemployment. At least, not for the last decade +. What Forbes reported isn't new shocking news.
You are both making the same point.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
No, the statistics were probably accurate. The headline was fabricated to paint the city in a bad light for no reason. Before Forbes called them "dying," how many people did you know who thought Cleveland, Canton, Datyon, Youngstown, Flint, Detroit, etc. had booming economies and low unemployment?
According to this report there are troubled cities all over the U.S.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/227/story/46856.html

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 08-10-2008 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: fix

Old 08-10-2008, 08:30 PM

682 posts, read 1,578,508 times
My first reaction to this was simply that geography is destiny. We moved from a manufacturing economy which greatly favored the Great Lakes region, to an information economy where people can work wherever they want... so they are increasingly choosing warmer climates. This may change, but for now, it is what it is.

I'm fascinated at how different cities are coping, since I don't think there is a magic formula to turn it around. There is definitely more vulnerability to the Lyle Lanleys of the world, so you have to be careful. Given what's going on with Cuyahoga County, I think I'm preaching to the choir here.

But in the end, really, who cares what Forbes magazine thinks of Cleveland? Just enjoy your life, count your blessings, and do what you can to make Cleveland a better place to live. If Cleveland continues to "die", so be it... at least your housing will be affordable, you'll have fewer traffic jams, cleaner air and water, and you'll have better amenities than other cities of the same size... which, coincidentally, sounds like just the recipe for a comeback.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:38 AM

52 posts, read 162,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
i'd love to see a 25% tariff, everything comes from china anyway.... get serious... if that happens, the whole country will collapse.. because the american goods cost to much anyway.. what they need to do is stop paying the american automakers $40 bucks an hour to sit on an assembly line.. the good days are over for those guys
Why is it ok for executives who run companies into the ground to make millions but people on an assembly line aren't supposed to make a decent living?

Old 08-27-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saba2r View Post
Why is it ok for executives who run companies into the ground to make millions but people on an assembly line aren't supposed to make a decent living?
We have a right to demand that the corporations that sell us products, make them here in The United States of America.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cactus Leaguer View Post
My first reaction to this was simply that geography is destiny. We moved from a manufacturing economy which greatly favored the Great Lakes region, to an information economy where people can work wherever they want... so they are increasingly choosing warmer climates. This may change, but for now, it is what it is.
Our "information" economy is moving to China.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland