Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 01:56 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris42 View Post

So here's what I want to know from those of you who have left Cleveland, and I really hope you take my questioning sincerely, because I'm not trying to act like a jerk, I just care for my community.......

1. Of those of you who left, how many left because of jobs being cut from the old steel workforce? If you did leave, did you try to find other employment in Cleveland in a different career path, or stay in your own and move elsewhere?

It seems to me that there is this "old-school" of thinking that goes on among people from the good old days of Cleveland that think industry leaving means no jobs. But there is a ton out there in different areas, I know I've met with a ton of people who are starting various technology companies in the area. Obviously, Free Trade has hit America, not just Cleveland, with job loss. But if you can't change with the world, then what else would you expect other than despair? Maybe you're not producing steel anymore, but there are companies out there looking for people who can learn how to fix printers, computers, etc. What's the difference?

2. How many of you who left for greener pastures received a college degree? If so, did you look for jobs in your career path in Cleveland first, or blow it off altogether?

In the late 1970's my dad took a job, and was able to retire when he was in his 50's, and he lives pretty well, especially considering he never made above middle-middle class wages. He had no high school degree.

Obviously in today's world, there's not a chance in hell that could happen. So if Cleveland has only 22% of Ohio's college grads, where is everyone else going? Are cities like Columbus hiring younger people? And why are there so few college grads in Cleveland? I'll never win a Nobel Prize, and I have to save up to be poor, but I have a college degree. Why, then, aren't more people in this town considering it as an option, especially with so many companies out there willing to pay, or help pay for it?

3. How many of the negative posters on Cleveland live in the more poverty stricken areas of the city? How many of you are seeking employment or are employed? What is the feeling about the community in your area?

A city can only be as strong as its weakest link, in this case the poor. I'm beyond poor myself, but I feel great about my future because I see way too many positives about this area to leave. It doesn't seem like people in my financial bracket feel the same way, however.

I refuse, and won't accept the racial crap that I see on these boards, so let's not even start it here.

What I do wonder is what are you doing as a less-fortunate person to pick yourself up? Where did your education begin, and when did it end? Can you finish?

Obviously this is a tough issue, because there are many factors that can force someone into poverty, thus making crime look like a much more attractive offer. I know when I was in high school, there wasn't a rule around that I couldn't wait to try to not get caught breaking. But I also knew that without a diploma, I would be screwed. And if you don't share that same urgency, and are looking for hand-outs later on (I said hand-outs, not HELP), then maybe you should be the one to leave the city.

Again, these are things that I have been throwing around in my mind. There's some fact here, but mostly one guy's opinion. I just think there are too many positives about this town to let a few ruin it. And there's been far too much complacency in this town towards people with that attitude.
1. Never been involved in the steel industry myself. My brothers were affected, couple of them retired and one was retrained into a different field. All of them still live in the Cleveland area. I resigned from my high-tech job to seek better opportunities in my field in AZ.

2. Yes, of course I have a degree and worked in my field throughout my adulthood in the Cleveland area.

3. Never lived in poverty, or in a poverty area. Lived in a decent Cleveland neighborhood until it went down hill and then moved to the burbs.

Relocation takes money. People who are jobless and live in poverty have a harder time moving elsewhere and are usually stuck where they are. Also, moving out west or southeast costs more due to higher cost of housing etc.

Don't forget that a degree although very helpful will not give you job security. Many engineers, IT professionals have lost their jobs due to outsourcing. Not just in Cleveland but all over the US. I have not been affected by outsourcing, so far.

Main reason for moving: better job opportunites, better weather and overall better quality of life.

I'll give you one example: I received 6 job offers in 3 months of job hunting. 1st offer came in 6 weeks. All in my high-tech field.
I actually had a CHOICE. That NEVER happened in Cleveland. At least not to me. That was a pleasant surprise! If I didn't have to wait for an extensive background check that took 4 weeks, I would have been working in 2 months. As far, as outsourcing is concerned, I may not need to worry about it since I am in the aerospace industry. Due to national security thay can't outsource certain areas of operations. Lucky me!
Not so at my old place in the Cleveland area, since they are actively consolidating and moving certain operations to Asia and Mexico.

That is being poractive and not reactive!

How did your interview go on Monday? Did you score?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM

19 posts, read 64,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
1. Never been involved in the steel industry myself. My brothers were affected, couple of them retired and one was retrained into a different field. All of them still live in the Cleveland area. I resigned from my high-tech job to seek better opportunities in my field in AZ.

2. Yes, of course I have a degree and worked in my field throughout my adulthood in the Cleveland area.

3. Never lived in poverty, or in a poverty area. Lived in a decent Cleveland neighborhood until it went down hill and then moved to the burbs.

Relocation takes money. People who are jobless and live in poverty have a harder time moving elsewhere and are usually stuck where they are. Also, moving out west or southeast costs more due to higher cost of housing etc.

Don't forget that a degree although very helpful will not give you job security. Many engineers, IT professionals have lost their jobs due to outsourcing. Not just in Cleveland but all over the US. I have not been affected by outsourcing, so far.

Main reason for moving: better job opportunites, better weather and overall better quality of life.

I'll give you one example: I received 6 job offers in 3 months of job hunting. 1st offer came in 6 weeks. All in my high-tech field.
I actually had a CHOICE. That NEVER happened in Cleveland. At least not to me. That was a pleasant surprise! If I didn't have to wait for an extensive background check that took 4 weeks, I would have been working in 2 months. As far, as outsourcing is concerned, I may not need to worry about it since I am in the aerospace industry. Due to national security thay can't outsource certain areas of operations. Lucky me!
Not so at my old place in the Cleveland area, since they are actively consolidating and moving certain operations to Asia and Mexico.

That is being poractive and not reactive!

How did your interview go on Monday? Did you score?

Funny, and true story about outsourcing......

A couple of months ago someone called me to do a pre-screening interview for a job I applied to on the phone. I won't say what company I applied for, but it is in NE Ohio. To make a long story short, the job I applied for was a simple customer service position, and it was obvious that the person I was talking to was overseas. I could barely understand her, and I couldn't answer any of the questions, because of the language barrier.

ON A FREAKING PHONE INTERVIEW for a job that entails answering phones, this scum of a corporation felt it would be appropriate to outsource it to another country!

Now, let's use a little common sense here. If the damn person who is interviewing me, for a job that consists of talking on the phone, isn't in the country, how am I, as a potential employee going to view that job's stability potential? IF YOU SAID "NOT WELL," you get a gold star. Unreal.....

I won't hear anything from my interview Monday until sometime next week. It was the first of a couple of interviews. I have my fingers crossed, but after going through so many interviews, I have no clue anymore if I gave a great interview, or a lousy one. But thanks for asking!

Old 09-09-2008, 09:29 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,984,887 times
was it Progressive?

Old 09-09-2008, 11:00 PM

19 posts, read 64,019 times
It wasn't Progressive

Old 04-07-2009, 11:33 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Question Is It Clevland or Is It You?

Our elites merely pretend to address our problems. So, this hurts morale.

Of course, Cleveland isn't unique. Nevertheless...

Old 04-07-2009, 12:04 PM

89 posts, read 449,907 times
i lived in a very poverty stricken area, it was ghetto as hell and very grim in character. the area i lived on was st. clair with my mother until i was around 13. i moved and now live in a decayed section of hartford, ct (nowhere near as bad as st clair, though). i am on my own and have my HS diploma some college education and a good job. i am currently saving as much money as fast as i can to buy a house in danbury, ct. the house i live in now is actually tilted and VERY rundown and i also have to clean garbage that people throw in my extremely decayed yard everyday of the week. i try to do the best i can but i am not rich and do not have the money to fix my current residence. if i still lived in eastside cleveland, this would the same exact scenario just in a different state. i am trying my hardest to make my life better and i believe i am doing a damn good job despite my enviroment. to sum up the answer to your question: yes, i believe it is the person not the city, but some people still care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland