Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:25 PM

10 posts, read 33,576 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am new to this forum. My mom and I are considering a move to Ohio. We are fed up with the politics of the northeast. After much research, and meeting several people from Ohio, we are considering a move. We love the warmer climate, but, are willing to negotiate the four seasons for living around warmer people. Does the area around Cleveland get very harsh winters? I have a BS in Psychology, but have worked in an office environment, and with computers to an extent. How is the employment situation in the Cleveland area? My mom is a senior with an extensive professional singing background, very outgoing and people oriented. Are there opportunities for seniors in the Cleveland area?

Thank you.

Crista
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 06:22 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
Well, to summarize responses to your questions

- Winters are pretty tough, generally quite a bit of snow with wind and temperatures frequently in the teens and 20's

- Employment is tough all over the USA, however Cleveland has a comparitively low cost of living so you won't need a whole lot of money to get by fairly well

- Greater Cleveland is one of the most accepting and engaging cities I have ever been associated with, so your mom should be fine if she gets out and about

Old 11-29-2008, 06:05 AM

10 posts, read 33,576 times
Thank you for the information. Have a wonderful holiday.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:21 AM

44 posts, read 177,341 times
Why Maple Heights? This suburb has had its share of crime problems, and the housing prices have really plummeted. There may be some good values there, and you can get a fairly nice home cheap, but the schools have really went downhill and the city services have also suffered. I think that there are other cities nearby where you can get a better value for you buck, even though you may pay more initially for your home.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:31 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
cheaper better suburbs with less crime than Maple Heights:

North Olmsted, Berea, Brook Park. Heck Parma is better. Im sure east siders could come with a list also. Mine are all west side.

Old 12-16-2008, 01:41 PM

74 posts, read 223,895 times
I would stay away from the Maple/Garfield Heights area. A better option would be Lakewood... Friendly and family oriented town with a nice park on the lake and plenty of shops and restaurants. If your mom sings, there is a great performing arts center there. Downtown Cleveland is very accessible via public transportation (bus or train).

Winters, well, I consider us a tough breed here because of the harshness they can bring. Get through a couple of them and 30 degrees will feel like a heat wave to you, too.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:59 PM

31 posts, read 172,931 times
Default Location Location

I strongly suggest that you do not move to Maple Hts. There are many other areas more suitable for a professional such as yourself. Safety is an issue there. Here is a list of more preferable cities:

Eastside:

Hunting Valley
Chagrin
Solon
Aurora

Westside:

Rocky River
Westlake
Avon
Avon Lake
Bay Village

Southside:

Stongsville
Brecksville
Broadview Hts
North Royalton

While no area is crime free, these are all nice communities with access to Cleveland and Akron. They are safer than the city you suggested and communities that I would live if I were to move. I would suggest taking a few days before you move and visit one area in each location, if possible. Talk with the local businesses ( hotels, eating establishments etc) as they will give you a perspective you may not see or receive. I did this when needing to set up another home away from home in Indy. It worked out very well and I located a city that was just right.

Best in your new location.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:12 PM

12 posts, read 37,438 times
DO NOT MOVE TO MAPLE HEIGHTS!!!! Some affordable eastside suburbs would be Solon, Lyndhurst, Aurora, ,Shaker Heights and University Heights.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 PM
EMJ

2 posts, read 10,886 times
I would not move to Cleveland at all. I live here and I'm trying to get out. The weather sucks and so does the job market. If you go downtown on a weekday after 6:00 its a ghost town. There is nothing to do.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 PM

5 posts, read 17,451 times
Stick with the west side, the sandlot list above is good, but a few that can be added to it are Olmsted falls/Twp., Berea & N. Ridgeville (desirablity in that order).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: