Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2009, 07:01 AM

223 posts, read 608,893 times

Advertisements

So anyway, back on topic... Heres what's been happening lately:
Man shot early this morning on Cleveland's East Side - Metro - cleveland.com

69-year-old West Side man says he shot 2 would-be robbers - Metro - cleveland.com

Two Cleveland men shot at West Side park - Metro - cleveland.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:49 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Default How far our sensibilities are from those

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
WRONG!

It says if thy brother trespasses against you, rebuke him, and IF he repents, forgive him.

Part of repenting is actually meaning it and actually stopping the offending behavior, as well as making the situation right again. If you cause an accident that kills my cow you make it right by replacing the cow, that shows you are sorry. If you rape a woman how can you ever unrape her? Unless she deems fit to pardon you, your life should be forfeit, period. Not to mention most of the thugs that do that sort of stuff are repeat offenders, they are NOT sorry, they never will be, they will take advantage of your generosity to victimize people again and again.
If we were true to Deuteronomy 22, then only raping virgins who were promised for marriage, out in the country, where, presumably, no one could hear her scream, would require execution. Otherwise, you must assume she did not scream for help and hence, you must execute them both. I wonder how they would have felt about young girls frolicking about in tight blue jeans

Having sex with a virgin, who is not promised for marriage, would require marriage, as well as a fine paid to the virgin's father. That's one motive to marry your daughters off young or, watch them like a hawk!

If a girl claims to be a virgin and her husband discovers she is not, then her penalty is execution. Of course, if his claim is false, then he must pay a fine and be "chastised" by the elders of the city. Still, they are to remain married. That made them both think twice! (and save the sheets from her wedding night!)

If a man commits adultery, then he and the woman he commits it with, are to be executed. I wonder how many Baby Boomers would get it for this one!

If a man has sex with a virgin, presumably consensual, who is engaged to be married, then they are BOTH to be executed. Brings new meaning to the word, "engaged."

Hence, Deuteronomy 22 appears to be concerned with a girl's consent as we've come to view consent, only in so much as it bears on her guilt in the extreme. In other words, if a promised virgin has sex with anyone, besides her husband, who was chosen for her by her father, then the presumption is, she is guilty as well and she should be executed. They had cities in those days and they had walls too. So, the burden on her to avoid temptation, luring behavior, dangerous situations and finally, to cry for help is immense. Moreover, there is an implicit acceptance, that an innocent girl could be executed and that it was worth the cost, in order to preserve chastity and order, based on arranged marriages, in the community.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:31 PM

980 posts, read 1,146,771 times
Funny how those "old dudes" just go around shooting up young guys and guns seem to spontaneously erupt in the strangest places

Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
"old dude just started shooting,"

I found that part kind of funny.

69-year-old West Side man says he shot 2 would-be robbers - Metro - cleveland.com

Old 03-11-2009, 10:40 PM

1,009 posts, read 874,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
If we were true to Deuteronomy 22, then only raping virgins who were promised for marriage, out in the country, where, presumably, no one could hear her scream, would require execution. Otherwise, you must assume she did not scream for help and hence, you must execute them both. I wonder how they would have felt about young girls frolicking about in tight blue jeans

Having sex with a virgin, who is not promised for marriage, would require marriage, as well as a fine paid to the virgin's father. That's one motive to marry your daughters off young or, watch them like a hawk!

If a girl claims to be a virgin and her husband discovers she is not, then her penalty is execution. Of course, if his claim is false, then he must pay a fine and be "chastised" by the elders of the city. Still, they are to remain married. That made them both think twice! (and save the sheets from her wedding night!)

If a man commits adultery, then he and the woman he commits it with, are to be executed. I wonder how many Baby Boomers would get it for this one!

If a man has sex with a virgin, presumably consensual, who is engaged to be married, then they are BOTH to be executed. Brings new meaning to the word, "engaged."

Hence, Deuteronomy 22 appears to be concerned with a girl's consent as we've come to view consent, only in so much as it bears on her guilt in the extreme. In other words, if a promised virgin has sex with anyone, besides her husband, who was chosen for her by her father, then the presumption is, she is guilty as well and she should be executed. They had cities in those days and they had walls too. So, the burden on her to avoid temptation, luring behavior, dangerous situations and finally, to cry for help is immense. Moreover, there is an implicit acceptance, that an innocent girl could be executed and that it was worth the cost, in order to preserve chastity and order, based on arranged marriages, in the community.

There was no need to describe in detail what Deut 22 says, I'm well aware of the chapter. For that matter I'm well aware of the entire book of Deuteronomy. For that matter I'm well aware of basically the entire Bible.

You are accurate in some regards but wrong in others, likely due to your lack of knowledge of Hebrew.

When you presume that a man has sex with a virgin, consensually, you are correct in the presumption but the implication you made by including presumably was a bit unnecessary. If you read it in the Hebrew you'll see that Deut 22 basically doesn't say a man can rape an unbethrothed woman and thus be able to marry her. It says if a man seduces/lies with/knows, an unbethrothed woman, he has to marry her. A woman is not obligated to marry a rapist.

Also I believe the logic behind stoning a woman to death if she claims she was raped but did not resist is that it is possible she is merely lying about being raped to cover for the fact that she may very well have been cheating on her husband. That's a case where the wronged party would make the call (the husband).

As for having sex with a virgin hoping you will be able to marry her, if the father doesn't approve of you you're basically dead, since you cannot restore the girl's virginity and you've made it considerably difficult for her to be able to marry, at least to be able to marry anybody of quality. So if you just jump the gun, have sex with a young virgin, and her father thinks you're a crud, he is in his rights to have you put to death.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
It's also a capital offense to have any sort of sexual interactions with another man's wife.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:

Blue jeans are definitely men's clothing... Let us consult Deut 22 on one of a number of clothing regulations for men and women...

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
Blue jeans are definitely men's clothing... Let us consult Deut 22 on one of a number of clothing regulations for men and women...

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.
I think I can sneak for most rational people on this board when I say that in modern times, the Bible should have absolutely nothing to do with how we decide our business. I am not even sure how a conversation went this in depth as it pertains to the Bible's place in society. In case you were wondering, it doesn't have a place. If there was any confusion however, it certainly shouldn't have a place. It is my contention that American society is as violent as it is because a book, which no adjective best describing it more than 'filthy' is so regarded and heralded. To me, it is embarassing that these oftentimes violent accounts of human mistreatment is actually looked up to by our society.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy4LyF View Post
I think I can sneak for most rational people on this board when I say that in modern times, the Bible should have absolutely nothing to do with how we decide our business. I am not even sure how a conversation went this in depth as it pertains to the Bible's place in society. In case you were wondering, it doesn't have a place. If there was any confusion however, it certainly shouldn't have a place. It is my contention that American society is as violent as it is because a book, which no adjective best describing it more than 'filthy' is so regarded and heralded. To me, it is embarassing that these oftentimes violent accounts of human mistreatment is actually looked up to by our society.

I hope you don't live in my state.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:28 AM

567 posts, read 1,446,027 times
if the bible was law we would be living under a dictatorship and be stoned and killed for every little thing we do. we would be forced to read the bible until we die of boredom. people would have NO rights and we would live like barbarians. millions of people would be killed for working on the "sabbath" day. it would be crazy! what sane person would want to live like the biblical days, when it was ok to marry kids(and still is in the middle east), have a whole town stone you for doing petty *****, and everyone was poor except law makers. imagine how the world would be!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland