Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:16 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,538 times

Advertisements

Walmart may = lower prices, but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 12:49 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
As a resident of the region, I'd have to be opposed to a full city-county merger. I don't think it's necessary and I actually think the unintended consequences would far outweigh the benefits. Plenty of successful regions are able to survive with multiple independent governments. That said, I do think there needs to be more regional collaboration and that a number of the suburbs would benefit from merging with each other. While we don't need one large city, we also don't need 60 or so different municipalities. There can and should be a happy medium. However these mergers should not be forced, only encouraged. That way suburbs can choose who they want to merge with and people will hopefully remain happy during the process. If you scare residents away, no one wins.

Additionally, the City of Cleveland shouldn't be looking for a "bailout" by merging with its wealthier, more successful neighbors. It doesn't need to and it would be counterproductive. Spreading mediocrity helps no one. Rising tides help everyone. If Cleveland makes itself more competitive, to the point that residents and businesses want to move back, the whole region will benefit. If it's looking towards mergers as the answer to all of its problems, Cleveland will have no incentive to work to improve itself. The city and the region need leaders who understand this point.

Last edited by Clevelander17; 05-09-2009 at 01:55 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 05:59 PM

Default Consolidation Doesn't = Bad. However...

Our Society is already way over "consolidated." Giving up ANY Independence, at this stage, = going the wrong way.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Our Society is already way over "consolidated." Giving up ANY Independence, at this stage, = going the wrong way.
I don't think so necessarily. It should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. I think a number of the smaller suburbs could merge to save money and still maintain the same level of services provided.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:54 AM

682 posts, read 1,579,611 times
Consolidation would be a quick fix. They simply need to deal with the problems that arise in every large city within a larger county:

1. Define who is responsible for what;
2. Set up the charters in a way that promotes transparency and accountability.

Here in Portland we have similar issues that crop up, albeit to a lesser degree. Individual elected commissioners have too much power over individual bureaus and they are sometimes mismanaged. Multiple layers of government (we have the city, county, and another regional entity called "Metro" which in charge of transportation, recycling, and a few other things) can add to the disarray.

I really think you need to vote the libs out, at least for awhile, even it is against your beliefs as a progressive. It's obvious from my vantage point that you have a single party system there which is hopelessly corrupt, and they will not clean up their act until you do something about it.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 PM

Cool Don't Sell American Ingenuity Short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I don't think so necessarily. It should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. I think a number of the smaller suburbs could merge to save money and still maintain the same level of services provided.
Right now, everybody is trying to raise taxes, in part, because we are in a Recession. It isn't gonna last forever. Population decline, on the other hand, may be a long term trend. If that is the case, then it seems reasonable to conclude that cities should begin cutting back on EXPENSES and perhaps even area. Look at what works in business. While Washington runs the printing press, companies in The Stock Market have caused a rally, because they beat everybody's expectations, in regards to their quarterly profits. They did it by making sacrifices. So, The Market had no choice, but to raise their stock price, even though their customer bases shrunk! You'd be amazed what you can do with less money, when you put your mind to it

On the other hand, a lot of fat pigs bit the dust, R.I.P.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Right now, everybody is trying to raise taxes, in part, because we are in a Recession. It isn't gonna last forever. Population decline, on the other hand, may be a long term trend. If that is the case, then it seems reasonable to conclude that cities should begin cutting back on EXPENSES and perhaps even area. Look at what works in business. While Washington runs the printing press, companies in The Stock Market have caused a rally, because they beat everybody's expectations, in regards to their quarterly profits. They did it by making sacrifices. So, The Market had no choice, but to raise their stock price, even though their customer bases shrunk! You'd be amazed what you can do with less money, when you put your mind to it

On the other hand, a lot of fat pigs bit the dust, R.I.P.
I don't disagree with that line of thinking. However one way of cutting expenses is streamlining government and get rid of duplications of services. The private sector uses mergers as a tactic, too. It's something that all entities, including the government, should always explore.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I don't disagree with that line of thinking. However one way of cutting expenses is streamlining government and get rid of duplications of services. The private sector uses mergers as a tactic, too. It's something that all entities, including the government, should always explore.
What has that got to do with Cleveland?

Old 05-11-2009, 12:28 AM

Quote:
What has that got to do with Cleveland?

That I believe that a number of municipalities in Cuyahoga County could save money, without adversely affecting the level of services provided, if they merged. And I think it can be done, on a smaller scale, without local governments getting too big (and bringing the associated problems of bigger governments). The idea of collaboration and in some cases mergers is something that should be looked in to.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:53 AM

Quote:

That I believe that a number of municipalities in Cuyahoga County could save money, without adversely affecting the level of services provided, if they merged. And I think it can be done, on a smaller scale, without local governments getting too big (and bringing the associated problems of bigger governments). The idea of collaboration and in some cases mergers is something that should be looked in to.
The City of Cleveland and who?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland