Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
The City of Cleveland and who?
The City of Cleveland and East Cleveland and Linndale. But when I say "Cleveland," I'm usually referring to the entire region. The City of Cleveland doesn't have to merge with anyone, however if some of its suburbs merged with each other, they, and the region, would probably be better off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 11:25 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
The City of Cleveland and East Cleveland and Linndale. But when I say "Cleveland," I'm usually referring to the entire region. The City of Cleveland doesn't have to merge with anyone, however if some of its suburbs merged with each other, they, and the region, would probably be better off.
I hear what you are saying, but the primary argument seems to be: if cities combine services they will save A WHOLE LOT OF MONEY. SO MUCH SO, THAT THEY WILL BE ABLE TO FUND MANY PROGRAMS THEY WOULD OTHERWISE HAVE TO ABANDON. I'm sorry, but I don't think that is true. It may seem like common sense, but quite frankly, it seems incompetent. I'll explain.

Lets say we combined a school system. We wouldn't need less classrooms, teachers, textbooks, heat, electricity or water. We wouldn't need less school lunches or people to cut the grass. What we would have less of would be a HANDFUL OF PEOPLE WHO MAKE A RELATIVELY TINY AMOUNT OF MONEY. That isn't savings, it is a power grab.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:17 AM

405 posts, read 1,214,458 times
Economies of scale...the cost of many resources don't grow linearly. Besides, many schools have undersized classes or can't offer classes because not enough students would fill the class (especially AP classes, electives, and extracurriculars). If two schools combined, each with a small choir, band, AP classes, sports teams, etc., you could probably get away with half the number of teachers, coaches, equipment, and facilities. The same goes for fire departments, police departments, etc. There is a lot of needless repetition when departments are so small.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:43 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,927,090 times
Wow I completely forgot about Linndale. Its so tiny. The new census estimates put it at a population of 90.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 AM

405 posts, read 1,214,458 times
Yet they give more tickets than any other city on I-71.

Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 AM

jam40jeff, you said this in that other thread that is now closed so I will reply in here:

"Those of us that have been around the country and actually live here (I know you live in Lorain County) know that there are many crime problems that need to be improved, but that Cleveland surely isn't far and away the most dangerous place in the country or a war zone everywhere you look like some would have you believe." -jam40jeff

You say that as if Im just going off of what I hear about Cleveland and have never been there. Cleveland is my birthplace, I even spent my early childhood there. I was born off Storer Ave. While growing up mostly Elyria and Lorain I was in the city of Cleveland very often and even lived in my old neighborhood and also off Superior near E85th for different periods of time. I lived in the city for a period of my adult life as well not long ago. I still have a lot of family and friends in the city of Cleveland and am in the city at least every week.

Ive also been all over the East Coast and Midwest, Plains, and part of the south. Dont act as if I dont know what Im talking about. Ive most likely been just as many places as you, and know just as much about Cleveland as you, if not more.

Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Economies of scale...the cost of many resources don't grow linearly. Besides, many schools have undersized classes or can't offer classes because not enough students would fill the class (especially AP classes, electives, and extracurriculars). If two schools combined, each with a small choir, band, AP classes, sports teams, etc., you could probably get away with half the number of teachers, coaches, equipment, and facilities. The same goes for fire departments, police departments, etc. There is a lot of needless repetition when departments are so small.
Well, The City of Cleveland has already solved that problem: there are simply some areas they don't police

Old 05-15-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
Yet they give more tickets than any other city on I-71.
I remember hearing about that now. Hasnt happened to me yet, thankfully.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:45 PM

"The residents of Linndale enjoy a close-knit community with frequent community activities. Linndale reinvests much of its income from traffic tickets into social services for residents. The town provides flu shots, a dumpster for public use, free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, a community mobile book library, and many other services. Traditionally, there is an annual Christmas party where each child in the village receives a gift. There are summer clambakes and other village parties, and frequent events honoring Veterans at the town's Peace Memorial."

Sounds like a nice town. Quite frankly, the norm these days is for people to disregard posted speed limits. I think that is dangerous. Remember, outside of old age illnesses, the most likely cause of death is automobile accidents. So, maybe you shouldn't be so critical of Linndale, Ohio.

Linndale, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,279,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
"The residents of Linndale enjoy a close-knit community with frequent community activities. Linndale reinvests much of its income from traffic tickets into social services for residents. The town provides flu shots, a dumpster for public use, free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, a community mobile book library, and many other services. Traditionally, there is an annual Christmas party where each child in the village receives a gift. There are summer clambakes and other village parties, and frequent events honoring Veterans at the town's Peace Memorial."

Sounds like a nice town. Quite frankly, the norm these days is for people to disregard posted speed limits. I think that is dangerous. Remember, outside of old age illnesses, the most likely cause of death is automobile accidents. So, maybe you shouldn't be so critical of Linndale, Ohio.

Linndale, Ohio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sounds like a city that doesn't understand the role of government, but enjoys wealth redistribution at the expense of non-residents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland