Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:31 PM

436 posts, read 874,076 times

Advertisements

check greatschools.net, you will have the idea.

No public school 10miles around cleveland downtown radar would be desirable for me to put my kids in. Not even Shaker Hight, reason: their teachers are those among the best, but not the students. You see what I meant?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 05:48 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,552 times
So what explains the fact that they always have the most National Merit Semifinalists of any public school in the area, by far?

Even if the students were bad (which they are not), it's more important that the teachers and the class offerings are good (they also offer more languages, 7, and more AP classes than any other public school in Northeast Ohio) than the students being good. Your child will be learning from the teachers.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post

No public school 10miles around cleveland downtown radar would be desirable for me to put my kids in. Not even Shaker Hight, reason: their teachers are those among the best, but not the students. You see what I meant?
Ummm...teachers are what make a school good. Programs, teachers, cirriculum etc. B/c there are some students bussed in from other areas who are not necessarily the best students doesn't deter from it being a very well regarded school system. If a student wants to learn, Shaker offers some of the best, most indepth, progressive programs around. On the other hand, if your child is a sloughoff, send them to private school, or boarding school b/c they are going to joke around in whatever school system they attend.

Old 04-28-2009, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 285,342 times
Tremont is a great neighborhood, and they have some blue ribbon rated public schools. Ohio city and Detroit Shoreways have tons more young families, even than five years ago, schools not so great. I live in D.S. and am planning on starting a family soon. With what we save in property taxes, tax abated house, we will be able to send our kids to a private school called Urban Community School. I have a lot of young friends that send their kids there and they love it. If you really want the urban experience you'll be hard pressed to fill it with Shaker or other suburbs. Lakewood would be the closest, but for the long term their taxes are quite high.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:55 PM

Excellent choice, I know some people who went to Urban Community and loved it. It actually came to my mind as soon as you mentioned that you live in D-S, then I saw you already knew about it.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:21 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post

Not sure about that! Rocky River is a few miles west of down town and has great schools!

Old 04-28-2009, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Not sure about that! Rocky River is a few miles west of down town and has great schools!
Independence, Cuyahoga Heights, and Lakewood are also within 10 miles of downtown.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:16 AM

195 posts, read 668,798 times
I appreciate everyone's responses. You've been a great help and I will look into all of these areas when I take my trip up there.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:35 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conroy25 View Post
City living if possible. My wife and I and kind of foodies and enjoy the arts and diverse cultures. We cannot stand the bland suburbian "applebees" lifestyle. But if that is what we have to do for good schools, then I guess we'll bite the bullet on that. I don't want live in the ghetto but I don't want to live in "snootsville" either. I've heard Lakewood is where most people in my age range congregate; how are the public elementary schools there?
I usually recommend Lakewood High with qualifiers like "if your kid's in the gifted program," "if your kid has a lot of extracurricular interests," "if you're comfortable with some inner-city elements," etc., but Lakewood elementary schools I recommend without qualification. Lincoln is generally regarded as the best.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:45 PM

436 posts, read 874,076 times
Quote:
So what explains the fact that they always have the most National Merit Semifinalists of any public school in the area, by far?

Even if the students were bad (which they are not), it's more important that the teachers and the class offerings are good (they also offer more languages, 7, and more AP classes than any other public school in Northeast Ohio) than the students being good. Your child will be learning from the teachers.
1./ I am talking about the best of the best, no just "good" public school district.

2./ The public middle school of the district I am living in was crowned as national champion of 2008 scientific olympic contest, in addition to national No.5 for high school. There are constantly 8-10 students get the national merit award annually at this high school.

3./ How come teacher is the most important factor to judge a school? Strange. If you put OSU / Penn state students under the custody of Harvard / Yale / Princeton faculty staffs, would their alumni achievement and networking be the same today? There are no Cinderella in education. It is the quality of the student that make the greatest difference.

4./ My comment for shaker height is actually cited from a conversation between a teacher who is teaching in my school district and me. I do believe shaker is a great school, but can easily be a falling angel if you average the total performance of the entire school, not only just tunnel lighting on the AP course.

Last edited by mikemeatball; 04-30-2009 at 09:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland