Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,631,303 times

Advertisements

Oh but Philadelphia is.

From having lived there, and going through the personal experiences I can tell you now, and especially after living in Downtown Cleveland for a month, Cleveland is safer, and I feel safer here. Now, I am not saying Cleveland does not have its problems, but for some of the people in the Cleveland sub-forum who want to make Cleveland out as a city that is the most dangerous in the country that could compete with Detroit on crime, not only on a personal level do I feel safer in Cleveland, but there are many sites out there with mixed results.

In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

Now, there is no intention on setting arguements here, just another point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 06:45 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
Oh but Philadelphia is.

From having lived there, and going through the personal experiences I can tell you now, and especially after living in Downtown Cleveland for a month, Cleveland is safer, and I feel safer here. Now, I am not saying Cleveland does not have its problems, but for some of the people in the Cleveland sub-forum who want to make Cleveland out as a city that is the most dangerous in the country that could compete with Detroit on crime, not only on a personal level do I feel safer in Cleveland, but there are many sites out there with mixed results.

In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

Now, there is no intention on setting arguements here, just another point of view.
This list is actually based on metro areas, not cities. Although I think this is a more accurate comparison than just comparing the crime rates of central cities.

I'm surprised you did not feel safe in downtown Philly. To me downtown Philly seems safer than downtown Cleveland because it has more street life and City Centre consists of much higher class neighborhoods than what you will find surrounding Cleveland's downtown (or anywhere in Cleveland proper for that matter).

Old 06-23-2009, 07:26 PM

436 posts, read 874,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I'm surprised you did not feel safe in downtown Philly. To me downtown Philly seems safer than downtown Cleveland because it has more street life and City Centre consists of much higher class neighborhoods than what you will find surrounding Cleveland's downtown (or anywhere in Cleveland proper for that matter).
Downtown Philly looks worse than Detroit, blocks after blocks of cracked building will immediately turn your stomach upside down. I was there one and half years ago and I was surprised by the way people drive over there: They rush the red light in a wet snowing night and the driver hon in full of confidence during this procedure.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
The second sneak attack towards me in one day. Come on people, grow up a little bit. Not to mention that the list doesn't really have anything to do with Cleveland so I don't see any other reason you would see to put it in the Cleveland forum except attacking me and everyone else who said Cleveland was more dangerous in that other thread.

Now, first and foremost these are metro area numbers, we were discussing cities. As far as what I think of the metros firsthand, they seemed about the same to me, maybe Philly slightly worse.

I will tell you that I'm almost positive there is no recent stats that show Philly as more dangerous than Cleveland as a city. Overall Philly is rough, but Cleveland is just worse and has a higher crime rate. That's all.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:24 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,092,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
The second sneak attack towards me in one day. Come on people, grow up a little bit.
I'm going to assume you wrote this bit of melodrama before you read my reply in my thread about neighborhood crime rates. My post has little to do with you, but if you're so sure it does, then maybe it does.

People with opinions on solid ground, like mine, aren't immature or in need of growing up because they differ with you. It's called discourse. In college, I majored in History with a concentration in Arabic studies - most of my classes were situated with political science majors with IR affairs concentrations. There were kids who couldn't deal with differing opinions, especially when speaking on Israeli-Palestinian IR - I saw a girl and a guy both cry while debating. I'd hate to wonder if you feel like I personally attacked you because I said Chicago's worst neighborhoods were more dangerous than Cleveland's worst neighborhoods, what you might have been like in actual heated forums.

If you notice, I have made my posts very cautious and make sure to say when you've made a good point. Do I agree with your overall thesis? No, I don't - but I don't pretend like you have no idea what you're talking about, because you do.

So don't dare tell me to grow up, tell me I'm immature or rely on any other sort of ad-hominem because that's crap and you're too smart to rely on that.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:29 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,972,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Downtown Philly looks worse than Detroit, blocks after blocks of cracked building will immediately turn your stomach upside down. I was there one and half years ago and I was surprised by the way people drive over there: They rush the red light in a wet snowing night and the driver hon in full of confidence during this procedure.
I don't believe you were downtown, friend. Center City is one of the finest urban neighborhoods in the country. A lot of the rest of the city is how you describe, though.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:47 PM

436 posts, read 874,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
I don't believe you were downtown, friend. Center City is one of the finest urban neighborhoods in the country. A lot of the rest of the city is how you describe, though.
I took taxi from airport to one sub 20mile north east of Philly. It was sixers game night and the stadium looks nice. Other than this, the whole city is pretty much very depressing.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:48 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,212,438 times
Quote:
You have obviously never been to downtown Philly. It is very nice. One of the best urban areas in the country actually. There are sections of Philly like you described, but they are not downtown.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
Quote:

There is a strong likliehood that you may have been in some other city and thought you were in downtown Philly.

This is what downtown Philly looks like.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times
That write up of metro Philadlephia has more holes in it than 5 lbs of swiss cheese. They have the metro area population of Philadelphia at 3.8 M. Philadelphias metro population is a 5.8 M and thats being on the conservative side.

Philadlephia has its fair share of bad areas including parts of the city,Camden,Wilmington,Chester but they apparently forgot to count the 2 million people that live in Bucks,Montgomery and Chester County , 3 of the top 50 wealthiest counties in the USA.

This is an outrage,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: