Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 8,387 times

Advertisements

All these old memories!!!!!!! awesome!!!!
Ok here goes, I've been reading for hours some of these may repeat.....
The NIKE site on westwood in Fairview (who didn’t have a keg party there?)
The 1969 fire at 220 and Lorain billboard caught fire yes by the ice cream shop!!!!!Its still there.
Wager hill beach when there was sand there
pre I-90 when wager rd was 2 lanes
The trolly car that went from the westgate turnaround all the way downtown via detroit rd.
The westward restaurant top floor of higbees
westgate before it was covered just sidewalks mmmm kinda like it is now.
The movie theater on hilliard in lakewood by masterpizza can’t remember the name used to be the stag film place accross from 7-11
the bowling alleys : mahalls, madison square lanes, lakewood lanes, westgate lanes ,(that crazy silverpin lounge) river lanes
herbs tavern
martins corners
minotties
Michael’s restaurant
ED STINN
Penguin ice cream
Boulkin park
Red barn
Pat Joyce’s
Who didn’t save up for mountain jacks?
Taking the 55 downtown for a fake ID on west 4th
Scotts 5-10
Silvermans
Koniegs sporting goods
Giegers
Goldfish army navy
Malleys
Rocky river rec center pool
The blue chimney
Stichcomb hill
The westlake hotel before it was pink
CYC
Sunday Sunday Sunday dragway 42 and norwalk raceway park
Autoramma
Certain ethnic anything
Mushmouth
Shattered records
Camelot music
Peaches
The wax muesem
The mining company, oh that parking lot……..
Johns dinner
The flats before they cleaned it up the 4th time you know, when water burned
Speaking of that mayer, remember Tony’s diner at kamms
Phillips 66, or those annoying sohio prevent fuel line freeze up ads on wgcl or wixy 1260
Uncle vic
Dancin danny right
I’m sorry for any repeats but I could go on for days maybe someone from the west side remebers these?
That’s not to say anything bad about those people on the other side of the bridge
And no one has even touched on the whole south side thing yet….. wow so much to reminisce about this is great!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 08:13 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyramidion View Post
sohio prevent fuel line freeze up ads on wgcl or wixy
"...prevents fuel line freeze up, or Sohio pays your tow..." - cue annoying sound effect/music...

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM

Just thought of another jingle that they used to play on the elevator stations (wdok and wqal) - "Pick Jim Roberts Buick...and you will buy...Jim Roberts Buick..."

Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 8,287 times
Default more

Love this forum !

Some random memories (I'm 44), some mentioned before. 1st post of a couple:

- The Cleveland Aquarium (long closed)
- Arco gas stations
- Krogers grocery stores
- Stafford Park in Maple Heights (playing there and 4th of July fireworks)
- the opening of Randall Mall (basically closed now)
- Breakfast with Santa at May Co.
- Geauga Lake on St. Monica or Garfield Hgts. Day (yes, it is officially closed now, though there is still a water park there)
- Sea World (gone since the early 1990s)
- The Goodyear winged foot sign in Valley View with time / temp (doesn't work any more or removed)
- Lawson's chip chop ham
- Peaches record store at Southgate
- Hal Artz "The Showplace of Beautiful Cars" jingle (now folded)
- Daffy Dan's T-Shirts
- WHK's or WIXY's "Comin' on Country" jingle (I think that's what they said)
- The Bull outside Brown Derby steak house
- The Odyssey (when it was a true head shop in Bedford ;-) )
- my mom saving green Eagle (?) coupon books at the grocery stores
- Woodward Beverage in Garfield Heights (later added the Deli)
- city chicken
- the winter of '77-78
- Wishnawk Cherry Red pop (and O-Sos and Little Toms, the 7 ounce soda bottles)
- Teddy's Restaurant at Southgate
- Killer Hill (for sledding) in Garfield Heights
- The Blue Hole (closed due to the ADA) / Warther Museum in Dover (a drive from Cleveland, but thought I'd throw it in)
- The hockey team that played at the Coliseum, can't recall their name, Crusaders ?
- Valley View drive in (gone)
- The flea market in Aurora (now an outlet mall)
- Scene magazine / newspaper (still published weekly)
- Fannie Farmer candy store (gone)
- college kids painting your street address on the curb then asking for a donation

I *think* I remember the Kenny Kings wooden nickels.

I do remember the Cleveland Zoo plastic key.

My wife worked at Red Barn in high school.

Old 02-13-2009, 06:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_ronald View Post
- the winter of '77-78
We arrived in Cleveland from New Jersey in January 1978, the day before the great blizzard. It was really sunny and fairly warm that day, I remember it very clearly. We stayed at the Holiday Inn on Lakeside when first arriving, and I remember how tough it was to get around downtown when the blizzard hit.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:51 AM

3 posts, read 18,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exclevelander View Post
How about Hillside-Old Meadow milk? "Quality Check'd" (sic) Not sure that brand name was only limited to Cleveland (or Ohio) but man it was ubiquitous in Cleveland in the '70s. (I even remember their delivery milk trucks--they still had some as late as the '70s, although milk delivery was quite the anachronism by that point).

By the time I left Cleveland it was just "Hillside" and not sure if even that name exists anymore. It sure doesn't here on the west coast.

My grandfather, John R. Smyth, was one of the original founders of Hillside Dairy, and my aunt & uncles as well as my mom worked there as teens.....We had all of our milk delivered up until the late 60's, and also had Western Juice and Charlie's Chips deliveries as well!

Old 02-20-2009, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 18,612 times
- Sterling Lindner and the ginat Christmas Tree Ornaments
- Euclid Beach and Laughing Sal
- Commander Ray Chevrolet
- When The Buzzards Come Back To Hinckley.....
- WIXY 1260 and CKLW
- Big Boy Restuarants - exp the drive ins! Worked for the company for over 30 years....
- Kenny Kings diner on Euclid Ave - moved later on to Mentor to become Annabelle's Diner
- Warther Museum in Dover - he used to sit on his front porch and carve little pliers for the youngsters who visited - my brother still has his. Warther's wife also had her own museum - she collected buttons!
- The Cleveland Barons hockey team
- Euclid and Mentor Drive ins
- Cleveland Zoo and WMMS teaming up in a contest to name the baby aardvark - I think it was finally called "Cardshark"

Old 02-24-2009, 08:22 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Exclamation You're Thinking Of Record Revolution...

[quote=OhioNative;7376443]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF667 View Post

Oh, yeah, you're right. Was Redezvous the seedy looking place where you would go down some steep stairs? I do remember going to a couple of places in Coventry, because, again, they had great Beatles and other bootlegs (in the days before the internet).
Hey there...seeing your post brought back memories of happier times for me...just wanted to let you know the place with the 'steep stairs' was/is Record Revolution...I love vinyl, and a lot of my stuff came from RR back in the day...hope it's still there, and it's REALLY sad that the 'Vous' closed down...reminds me of an old Joni Mitchell song---'they paved Paradise and put up a parking lot'

Old 03-17-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_ronald View Post
Love this forum !

Some random memories (I'm 44), some mentioned before. 1st post of a couple:

- The Bull outside Brown Derby steak house
Yeah, I remember as a kid going to the Brown Derby for special occasions - I thought it was the fanciest place I had ever seen, and I hated it because it was grown up food, rather than a hamburger from Dairy Queen or Burger Chef (my favorite as a kid). I remember thinking that York Steak House was very classy, too!

Old 04-03-2009, 12:08 PM

12 posts, read 33,954 times
Not only Spang's donuts, Spang's birthday cakes. My cousins always had a Spang's cake for their birthdays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland