Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM

54 posts, read 185,961 times

Advertisements

Earlier today, I was talking to one of my neighbors, and she remarked that she was so relieved that neither of her kids had to attend school on May 1, because it's "May Day", a day when inner-city black/minority youths travel to the suburbs and assault white kids. I did some searching online and found out that apparently its also called "beat up a white kid day", and the only story regarding it that I found in my search results was an incident in 2003, where a bunch of black youths jumped a 13-year old white girl. Several of them received felony assault convictions.

I have only lived in the cleveland area for about 2 years now, so I was wondering if any of you knew anything about this so-called "tradition". Is this crap something that still goes on. And if it does, are the local law enforcement and government officials actually doing anything to put a stop to it. This whole thing is stupid. Yes, I know the inner-city minority youths may be going through some hard times, but beating up some white kid you don't even know is NOT the answer.

I guarantee you, that if this were "beat up a black kid day", you would have jesse jackson, and the naacp, calling for the perps to be hanged. And Mayor Frank Jackson would probably be doing the same.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:18 PM

114 posts, read 305,673 times
I'm not an inner-city youth nor do I have kids, but I've never heard of this before. This is quite disturbing if true!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,628 times
I thought long and hard about the correct answer , there is none , It is true and not ,
Never did I hear that suburban school districts were affected .
But when my nephew went to John Marshall ( Cleveland City Schools ) it was something he
would say over and over with great concern , 10 years or so ago ! I was blown away that
he had to worry about that .As with all bad things it gets in the news more then the good!
I have My Story that is part of history , I lived on the east side of Cleveland way before
"Bussing " I went to a catholic school (all white ) until the 7th grade , then went to (mid 70 's )Cleveland City Schools ,At this time ,the eastside school i went to was 99 % nonwhite
during some of the most crazy unrest in Cleveland's history , Yes I got jumped , wondering
why in my mind ( really not knowing why) the unrest that was out there .
That said , A girl (thank god for girls) " said " What did that white boy do to u ? The dude said But But , she made him think ! I went to school the next day
The point of this is , everyone truly is different , Peace to all

Last edited by citydudeallover; 04-23-2010 at 02:39 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM

9 posts, read 22,181 times
No offense at all, but this isn't the 80's/90's, I don't think anyone is really on this anymore, I hang around all my friends here in Cleveland alot, they have white friends and actually most of them never even heard of ' May-day '. I'm just saying I don't think this is done anymore, that's all. ^^

Old 04-23-2010, 09:12 PM

54 posts, read 185,961 times
well we know it happened as recently as 2003.

and no offense taken.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:17 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,770 times
I've heard about 'May Day' before, not too sure if its true. What I do know however is that black hatred towards whites, and the willingness to act out on these feelings with violence is still ever present. There are people I know who've been called foul names/insulted just walking around Tri-C downtown campus. Teachers also get this directed at them, today and in the past. Both of my parents are former inner city teachers and experienced all of this.

As for violence, you see it pop up in the news every now and then. It of course does not get the attention that the rare white on black crime gets.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:31 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmc783 View Post
well we know it happened as recently as 2003.

and no offense taken.
What we know is that an isolated incident occurred. Nothing more nothing less. As far as I know, Mayday is nothing but a sick urban legend.

Also, I walk around Tri-C metro and Cleveland State a few times a year. I've never once seen, heard of, or been victim of a racially charged verbal attack (yes, I am white).

Old 04-26-2010, 07:31 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,487,636 times
This was around in the early 90s when I was in HS, and is still very much active in the Cleveland Public Schools today. The place is a complete cess pool, and the inner city black youths harass and beat up the few remaining white children on a daily basis. There is a reason white people leave the craphole of the Cleveland Public Schools. It started with bussing in '70s and continues at an alarming rate. You can try to sugarcoat it all you want, but whites, especially white girls, fear for their lives in the CPS.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 AM

302 posts, read 1,100,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post

Also, I walk around Tri-C metro and Cleveland State a few times a year. I've never once seen, heard of, or been victim of a racially charged verbal attack (yes, I am white).

Just because you walk around there a few times a year and have not heard of anything is not at all a good indication that nothing exists. My information comes from a student there, so I think I'll take it over your few times a year. Perhaps the blacks that said it were not even students, just area thugs who wanted to stir up some trouble. Who knows. The fact remains that it still happened, and that things like this are still a problem in the inner city where whites (and other blacks) are under "attack" by the thugs. You get whites who get verbal abuse and occasionally beat up, and then you've also have fellow blacks who get made fun of and told to get back in line with things when they try to improve their lives and get an education.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:28 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
It started with bussing in '70s and continues at an alarming rate. You can try to sugarcoat it all you want, but whites, especially white girls, fear for their lives in the CPS.
Come on. Seriously? I know it's fun to bash the CMSD, I know it is not considered a great school district, but I do have a hard time believing the white girls at John Hays "fear for thier lives"?!?
Obviously, I don't know, but that sounds like pure BS to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland