Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 21,108 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I hope everyone can be of some help to me. I am a 27yr old single female who is interested in maybe relocating to Wilmington (from NJ). I have read this forum, and even have taken a few trips down. I enjoyed my trips, and think Wilmington can really fit my needs. My main concern is that I have heard a couple of contradicting opinions about the ages of people who reside in Wilmington. Some say that it is a wonderful place to be in your late 20's and single. There are plenty of people to meet, to form friendships, and for dating. Then I have heard that this town is nothing more then a college age/ and retired town, with some married couples in the mix. I am passed the college stage of life, but I do still enjoy some nightlife! (I do enjoy going to sports bars once and awhile, but not constantly) so I am hoping the first opinion I heard is correct. I really like everything else I have heard and seen, I just dont want to be in an area where I feel like I am the only single one left! (and while I love to meet all types of people, I would like to have some friends and date men who are my age, or a few yrs older)

On a side note...I am aware the job situation in Wilmington isnt the greatest, and while I hope to find something, it isnt necessary the main concern I have. I am a college graduate, and have experience in a few different fields. I am very fortunate enough to not have to work to support myself for a little while, when I do move. (I have read a lot about job concern, so I figured I would just throw that in, to let everyone know I am aware of this)

One more question and I promise I am done haha. I have narrowed my search down to, two possible apartments. Pointe South Apts in Monkey Junction (6110 Riverwoods Dr Wilmington, NC 28412), and Cypress Pond at Porters Neck (211 Cypress Pond Way Wilmington, NC 28411). Being in my situation, which one would suit me best in your opinions??

Thank you all very much for any insite you can provide!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 10:49 PM

269 posts, read 666,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH229 View Post
Hey all! I hope everyone can be of some help to me. I am a 27yr old single female who is interested in maybe relocating to Wilmington (from NJ). I have read this forum, and even have taken a few trips down. I enjoyed my trips, and think Wilmington can really fit my needs. My main concern is that I have heard a couple of contradicting opinions about the ages of people who reside in Wilmington. Some say that it is a wonderful place to be in your late 20's and single. There are plenty of people to meet, to form friendships, and for dating. Then I have heard that this town is nothing more then a college age/ and retired town, with some married couples in the mix. I am passed the college stage of life, but I do still enjoy some nightlife! (I do enjoy going to sports bars once and awhile, but not constantly) so I am hoping the first opinion I heard is correct. I really like everything else I have heard and seen, I just dont want to be in an area where I feel like I am the only single one left! (and while I love to meet all types of people, I would like to have some friends and date men who are my age, or a few yrs older)

On a side note...I am aware the job situation in Wilmington isnt the greatest, and while I hope to find something, it isnt necessary the main concern I have. I am a college graduate, and have experience in a few different fields. I am very fortunate enough to not have to work to support myself for a little while, when I do move. (I have read a lot about job concern, so I figured I would just throw that in, to let everyone know I am aware of this)

One more question and I promise I am done haha. I have narrowed my search down to, two possible apartments. Pointe South Apts in Monkey Junction (6110 Riverwoods Dr Wilmington, NC 28412), and Cypress Pond at Porters Neck (211 Cypress Pond Way Wilmington, NC 28411). Being in my situation, which one would suit me best in your opinions??

Thank you all very much for any insite you can provide!!
Hi - Good questions - I am interested in Coastal NC too. What was it like when you visited? Do people bike a lot? Are there coffee shops around or a neat downtown? Thanks!

Old 06-24-2010, 09:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLH229 View Post
Hey all! I hope everyone can be of some help to me. I am a 27yr old single female who is interested in maybe relocating to Wilmington (from NJ). I have read this forum, and even have taken a few trips down. I enjoyed my trips, and think Wilmington can really fit my needs. My main concern is that I have heard a couple of contradicting opinions about the ages of people who reside in Wilmington. Some say that it is a wonderful place to be in your late 20's and single. There are plenty of people to meet, to form friendships, and for dating. Then I have heard that this town is nothing more then a college age/ and retired town, with some married couples in the mix.
think about it this way:

people of all ages want to live here, birth to death. however, it is difficult to support yourself here. incomes are some of the lowest in the state, while costs are some of the highest.

so the people who can afford to live here are mainly college students (living off loans and parents), and retirees, yes. however there are still many single people aged 25-30, "post college" people who managed to find a way to survive in this town. 30 to 55, when most people need two solid incomes to raise children, is the age bracket where it really thins out.

Quote:
(and while I love to meet all types of people, I would like to have some friends and date men who are my age, or a few yrs older)
too bad then, i'm single but i'm one year younger than you.

Quote:
Porter's Neck is a nicer area than Monkey Junction, in my opinion. I don't know anything about those two complexes.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 AM

Hi. I found this comment on another thread:

If you currently live in NYC and you move to Wilmington...... You'll be so bored in a week you are likely to shoot yourself. Wife and i are from north western NJ and we visited town last summer. Dead is the only word I have to explain it. We presently live in Greenville, NC, i dig it but wife does not. I am a tree hugger so rural America has a lot more to offer me.

I hear great things about Charleston however. Never been. Considering a job there.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ilmington.html

Old 06-24-2010, 11:47 AM

67 posts, read 175,364 times
I guess it all depends on what ya like to do: I am looking to move down there from Chapel Hill. Part of the reason is Grad school, part is the ocean. If ya like sports, the county offers programs and some of the local bars offer volleyball/corn hole tournaments along with music. UNCW has activities/sports/events as well. Carolina/Kuri beach is not too far away either. As long as you can deal with the occassional hurricane..lol.. Being "bored" is what you make it.

As far as meeting people.. doing the bar "events" is a great way to meet people.. or getting involved in county sports is another way.. or any of the other activities the county/city offers.

I always liked the area.. but that is just my opinion... hope this helps..

Old 06-24-2010, 12:21 PM

2 posts, read 21,108 times
Hey everyone. Thanks for your opinions so far. There are a few other areas that I am interested in including Charleson, SC...Virginia Beach, VA...or maybe even outside of Atlanta GA.

Dundermifflin...I liked the weather a lot. Being close to the beach was another plus. I didnt see too many people on bikes, however I might just not have taken notice to that. There were a bunch of coffee houses called Port City Java, around town, but I still stopped in dunkin donuts ha ha. Downtown was ok in my opinion. From what I heard it could be dangerous at times, but anywhere can be when you are out real late at night. I thought Mayfaire town center was nice.

Le-Roi...I am sure the one year wouldnt make much of a difference haha.

scattershot...I do agree being bored is what you make it. As long as there are things offered I would do my best to get involved.

Again, thanks for all your opinions...keep em' coming!!

Old 06-24-2010, 04:00 PM

135 posts, read 640,230 times
I agree with le roi on the age question.

If you're planning on spending a lot of time downtown, where the bulk of the bars are, then you'll probably want to go for the monkey junction location. Porter's neck is a nicer area, but it's a 30 minute drive down market to get to downtown. Monkey junction is also closer to carolina/kure which are typically less crowded than wrightsville.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:58 PM

23 posts, read 99,868 times
I'm a 24 year old male originally from NJ and went to college in a large city. About to wrap up my first year here and just some observations...

-It's fairly easy to fall into a work then go home and chill routine, especially in the winter and fall when things are fairly dead.
-Bar events felt more like mid 30ish people doing some fairly serious business networking rather than just hanging out meeting new people.
-A lot of activities are more word of mouth then openly advertised, especially sports leagues. Sites like meetup.com aren't as helpful here as other areas, mainly due to a lack of groups/variety.
-Easy to meet people and mingle...harder to make a steady group of friends. Turnover is fairly high in the area with the colleges supplying most of the mid 20's crowd.

After about 2 months here I was fairly bored. Downtown and the beach bars got old fairly quickly. I called some friends of friends who went to college here, and they were of the mindset it's a great place to be if you absolutely love ocean activities, attend college, are retired, or generally enjoy a slower pace of living.

That being said...those are just my experiences, and if you've visited and liked the vibe, then you'll probably enjoy living here. All depends on what you're looking for, and what you're used to. I don't know much about Porter's Neck, but I've heard those apartments are very good.

Oh and there are plenty of bikers. Last time I was down by Carolina Beach they had painted a bike lane down the main stretch.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmch91 View Post
I'm a 24 year old male originally from NJ and went to college in a large city. About to wrap up my first year here and just some observations...

-It's fairly easy to fall into a work then go home and chill routine, especially in the winter and fall when things are fairly dead.
-Bar events felt more like mid 30ish people doing some fairly serious business networking rather than just hanging out meeting new people.
-A lot of activities are more word of mouth then openly advertised, especially sports leagues. Sites like meetup.com aren't as helpful here as other areas, mainly due to a lack of groups/variety.
-Easy to meet people and mingle...harder to make a steady group of friends. Turnover is fairly high in the area with the colleges supplying most of the mid 20's crowd.

After about 2 months here I was fairly bored. Downtown and the beach bars got old fairly quickly. I called some friends of friends who went to college here, and they were of the mindset it's a great place to be if you absolutely love ocean activities, attend college, are retired, or generally enjoy a slower pace of living.

That being said...those are just my experiences, and if you've visited and liked the vibe, then you'll probably enjoy living here. All depends on what you're looking for, and what you're used to. I don't know much about Porter's Neck, but I've heard those apartments are very good.

Oh and there are plenty of bikers. Last time I was down by Carolina Beach they had painted a bike lane down the main stretch.
Oh man it sounds depressing. I am thinking Nashville. How is the beach? Thanks for the info.

Old 06-24-2010, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 99,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Oh man it sounds depressing. I am thinking Nashville. How is the beach? Thanks for the info.
I don't mean to scare you off...just 1 person's opinion, and mine is probably not the dominant one if you ask around.

The beaches are alright. I grew up going to beaches with boardwalks and other activities, but it's definitely a laid back scene (unless it's a spring/summer holiday and the tourists pile in...crazy traffic). I actually prefer North End of Carolina Beach over Wrightsville more often than not, since you can drive out on the sand, drink, and camp out if you please.

Like I said..it depends on what you're used to and what you want. If you hear 'city' and expect Wilmington to be NYC with some beaches, you'll hate it. If you're looking for a pretty laid back place, 'big' town feel, and don't mind your primary activity being hanging out either on the beach or at a bar then you'll love it.

That being said, "when in Rome" and all...it's time for some drinks. Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina