Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,262,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbmbirds View Post
what would be a good town with a college near by? i want to relocate out to the coast and buy a 300k+ home some where near the beach with in 10miles
If the university doesn't have to be in the same city, Greenville is approximately an hour away from most of the Crystal Coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2010, 05:55 PM

42 posts, read 91,401 times
i really wanted to get a home with in 10 miles of the beach... or even one of the little homes on oak island.
they are around 200k for a nice size home within 1 mile of the beach.

where are the closest colleges... i will only need to do one inclass course per semester... the rest can be online

Old 07-25-2010, 06:37 PM

1,977 posts, read 4,209,485 times
Quote:
i really wanted to get a home with in 10 miles of the beach... or even one of the little homes on oak island.

where are the closest colleges... i will only need to do one inclass course per semester... the rest can be online
What are you majoring in? Brunswick Community College is located in Bolivia...about 20 miles from Oak Island. UNCW is going to be the closest major university.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:16 PM

42 posts, read 91,401 times
computer science..

Old 07-25-2010, 10:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:

The ONLY universities anywhere on the NC Coast is UNC-Wilmington, in Wilmington, and Elizabeth City State, in Elizabeth City (a "historically black" university. I would think you could find a list of NC universities through a Google search, and then examine what towns are near them.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:47 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
Technically East Carolina University is on the coast, just not on the beach.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:48 PM

24 posts, read 110,390 times
Thanks for all of the input! I am not really going to move somewhere just based on books, just saying that it peaked my interest and made me look into NC more.

I would really like to find a town that is on the coast, I have read that New Bern is 45 min away from the beach and there is not too much to do for someone in there 20's. I would like to be able to have the option of going out even if I dont want to all the time. Wilmington seems like it might be to big/dangerous for me. I have not read many good threads about it at least.. I am into art and culture and I would like to meet some people around my age. Oh yeah and I would bring along my best friend (my pup) so I definitely want to find a pet-friendly town.

thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 11:58 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Technically East Carolina University is on the coast, just not on the beach.
East Carolina offers a good marine biology and maritime archaeology departments

Old 11-10-2010, 12:08 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestar9 View Post
I would really like to find a town that is on the coast, I have read that New Bern is 45 min away from the beach and there is not too much to do for someone in there 20's. I would like to be able to have the option of going out even if I dont want to all the time. Wilmington seems like it might be to big/dangerous for me. I have not read many good threads about it at least.. I am into art and culture and I would like to meet some people around my age. Oh yeah and I would bring along my best friend (my pup) so I definitely want to find a pet-friendly town.
Pet-friendly isn't a problem anywhere. If you're in your 20s AND want to be on the coast, you really are looking at Wilmington. It is actually NOT a large city at all, and just outside town there is still a lot of "small town" feel. The college is what makes the young population so high; most other coastal towns in NC are known as retirement destinations and/or tourist places and the only work would be tourist-related such as working in restaurants and stores (and probably seasonal).

Wilmington isn't Chicago or NYC for culture, but there is stuff there. Since you talk about wanting "culture" on the one hand and thinking Wilmington "might be too big for you", that is kind of a rock and a hard place situation, since "culture" is pretty directly related to size of the town/city, unless it's a place particularly known for the arts, such as Asheville (which of course is mountains, not beach). I'm just letting you know that the criteria you're listing:

-good for young people
-good for culture
-not a "big" city
-on the coast

might be at odds with each other, and really in NC your ONLY bet for these is Wilmington.

You might look into Charleston, SC, or Savannah, GA, both "artsy" coastal towns, but they are an even bigger than Wilmington.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:34 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,901,000 times
I disagree. Morehead City sounds exactly what she's looking for.

-It's on the coast.
-Culture (it and Beaufort were listed as one of the best small art towns in the US. )
-not a big city
-good for young people (Buffalo Wild Wings, and Hooters are popular night spots, as well as Tun Tavern in Havelock and Various other clubs/bars between Havelock and Atlantic beach that cater to a younger crowd among varying demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina