Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 04:05 PM

122 posts, read 482,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
However, LOTS of the new subdivisions off Market in the Ogden area that *I* saw looked like cookie cutter subdivisions. And were very small houses for the price range (as in 1100 - 1400 sq ft). And no trees to be had.

There are some rally nice houses in the Northchase subdivision. But anywhere in New Hanover you face higher properties taxes than you will in Pender and Brunswick Counties. Leland is growing like gangbusters. Now, there IS the issue of bridge traffic but there are two bridges across to/from Wilmington not one. Pender County doesn't have the issue of the bridge and Castle Hayne, Rocky Point along with Hampstead are all growing as well. Mostly it depends on where your job is located.

As far as roads not being safe...I haven't found them any less safe than any road any where else I have lived...Monroe, MI, Columbia, MO, Pittsburgh, PA, Atlanta, GA, Fullerton, CA, Greenville, SC...so any less safe...???? I don't know where people are getting that notion?

As far as hurricane issues, I was talking yesterday to a lady who picked up some stuff I had listed on freecycle who has lived here all her life...she said that hurricanes just aren't that big an issue here. She's lost a roof or two in the last 40+ years, and some tree damage but that's about it and she lives 6 blocks from the ICW (Intercoastal Waterway). Maybe she's just been lucky? Liz
Also remember that since Brunswick county is now the fastest growing county in NC, it won't be long before Leland is as congested as anywhere else in this area. Also, how long can Hwy 133 remain 2 lanes? I heard a rumor that a new subdivision somewhere near Waterford or in that general area was approved for like 4,000 houses. Is that true? Thought you might know & could enlighten. Some people like the cookie cutter style. While I love a house that has unique styling, some of only have "cookie cutter" budgets, so it really comes down to how much house/how much style you can afford, vs. driving a good distance to work each day & spending more on gas & time in traffic (time is money, too).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 04:19 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Quote:
Was just curious, out of all those other cities you listed, is there one that you enjoyed living in the most?
While I grew up in Greenville, if I had my way, we would move back to the Pittsburgh area...not Pittsburgh itself but near there. Columbia was a great place to live too.

Quote:
I heard a rumor that a new subdivision somewhere near Waterford or in that general area was approved for like 4,000 houses. Is that true? Thought you might know & could enlighten.
Yes, it's called Brunswick Forest and it's over near the Super WalMart near Magnolia Greens. I've seen the place and it is going to be HUGE. NOT my kind of place at all. Homes are going to run in the 350k to 500k but no LOT to speak of. RIGHT on top of each other.

Quote:
Some people like the cookie cutter style. While I love a house that has unique styling, some of only have "cookie cutter" budgets, so it really comes down to how much house/how much style you can afford, vs. driving a good distance to work each day & spending more on gas & time in traffic (time is money, too).
Yes, I know some can only afford cookie cutter houses. But even THOSE could have left the danged TREES around them. The developers did not have to *BOMB* the lots to build, Know what I mean???? THAT is what I really object to. Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
While I grew up in Greenville, if I had my way, we would move back to the Pittsburgh area...not Pittsburgh itself but near there. Columbia was a great place to live too.

Yes, it's called Brunswick Forest and it's over near the Super WalMart near Magnolia Greens. I've seen the place and it is going to be HUGE. NOT my kind of place at all. Homes are going to run in the 350k to 500k but no LOT to speak of. RIGHT on top of each other.

Yes, I know some can only afford cookie cutter houses. But even THOSE could have left the danged TREES around them. The developers did not have to *BOMB* the lots to build, Know what I mean???? THAT is what I really object to. Liz
I think that's because of poor zoning laws (or lack thereof). They (the city or county gov't or whoever) should mandate that developers leave a certain number of original trees when building. But it seems the county officials are more interested in tax revenue from new construction & let the contractors do whatever they want just so they will keep building. It's the same where I live...cookie cutters with no tall pines remaining. So now there is very little shade on the houses & the A/C runs a lot more.

I think a lot of people now like the smaller lots because it means less maintenance. A lot of people don't want to spend hours (or an hour) mowing grass, pulling weeds, etc. Kids don't play outside anymore like we did growing up. A tiny yard outside and an X-Box video game thing inside keeps them happy. It's a different generation. Plus the contractors can squeeze more dwellings on a smaller space. Money talks I guess.

My friend Dan (who lives in Southport) moved here from Pittsburgh 5 yrs. ago and he still talks about it a lot. He won't admit it, but I know he and his wife miss it there. I'm from Cleveland and, believe it or not, I miss it there, too.

Quick question: how well received were you when living in PGH as a Southern transplant? My roommate has a very noticeable southern accent (he's from Wallace, NC) and I wonder how well he would adjust in an area like CLE or PGH where there is no accent?? Moving back North is a definite possibility for me this year after 11+ yrs. in Wilm.

Old 07-15-2007, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Quick question: how well received were you when living in PGH as a Southern transplant? My roommate has a very noticeable southern accent (he's from Wallace, NC) and I wonder how well he would adjust in an area like CLE or PGH where there is no accent?? Moving back North is a definite possibility for me this year after 11+ yrs. in Wilm.
We moved to a place called Coraopolis, up the river from Pittsburgh. We made some great friends there and were very well received. They had a blast with my accent. But the thing was, we didn't compare them with the south, we embraced the differences. We KNEW we weren't in the south and that helped. Liz

Old 07-15-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
We moved to a place called Coraopolis, up the river from Pittsburgh. We made some great friends there and were very well received. They had a blast with my accent. But the thing was, we didn't compare them with the south, we embraced the differences. We KNEW we weren't in the south and that helped. Liz
That is good to know. He makes fun of me because he says I talk like "the people on the TV news cast...no accent". Not sure if that is a complement or not. It is funny......most people on this discussion forum are from up north and wondering how well received they will be down here (I had absolutely no problem and made lots of friends in Wilm right away). But hardly do I see the reverse situation posted. Thanks for your reply.

Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM

24 posts, read 138,524 times
hey- i found an objective source for my traffic questions (since i am considering a move there from balimore.)

There is a web site called TRAFFICLAND.
I view it during various times of day... it has real time camera photos. The cams are ON your busiest roads. And I can tell you for certain that most roads seem mild compared to Baltimore. A few look the same.

Old 07-19-2007, 02:43 PM

5 posts, read 36,712 times
I have lived in Brunswick County since 1998. My wife and I moved from Memphis TN with no jobs. It did not take us lon to establish ourselves. I cannot think of anywhere else I would rather live. Your move will also depend on the type of work you are in, however Oak Island, Southport and boiling Spring Lakes are only 20-40 minute drive from Wilmington NC. As far as roads go, there are some dangers only because some roads to main highways are two lanes. If you are from a big city traffic will look like nothing. I hope some of this info is helpful

Old 07-19-2007, 03:24 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
Is it true that the Southport area has been less likely to be hit by a hurricanes? I think I heard this on the news. Wilmington seems to have hurricanes come there and stay for a while.

I think the traffic situation is probably the same thing we are experiencing in Union County, plus adding so many tourists. There are so many people who move here and assume that our laws will be the same as their laws back home. I have had so many people take the right of way when they were not supposed to and look at me like I am in the wrong. I did not know what was going on until I read one of the other forums. We have always been a little more alert when we go into the Wilmington area. I guess when some people go on vacation they put their brains on vacation too.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM

698 posts, read 3,267,757 times
Our gated cookie cutter development has lots and lots of trees(real tall pines as well as other smaller flowering trees,etc. and a wooded nature trail with a stream.

Old 08-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Our gated cookie cutter development has lots and lots of trees(real tall pines as well as other smaller flowering trees,etc. and a wooded nature trail with a stream.
I'm glad your developer was smart enough to leave them.

Altho some of the really tall pines look like they could be a danger in a hurricane. We have a few of those in our subdivision...super tall and only a little sprig of tree at the top. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina