Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:13 AM

55 posts, read 735,702 times

Advertisements

Hello, Can you please tell me the best cities areas near Wilmington for jobs & great schools.....We are going to start looking there soon but not sure were to start from? Also, can you please tell me what its really like there...do you love living there? Thanks !!

Is it a Safe place for familys to live? Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 06:46 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
Hello, Can you please tell me the best cities areas near Wilmington for jobs & great schools.....We are going to start looking there soon but not sure were to start from? Also, can you please tell me what its really like there...do you love living there? Thanks !!

Is it a Safe place for familys to live? Thanks again
I love Oak Island,Southport and Boiling Spring lakes are great places for family. Now about jobs.What kind of job are looking for? It depends what you are looking for but you might have to travel to Wilmington that is about 45 min to hours depends on the bridge.

I lived on Oak Island for 2 years and my kids love it. We have beautiful Oak Trees every where. We are five blocks from the beach and dogs are allowed on the beach with there leash. My kids are able to ride there bike anywhere on the island with a parent of course. You can also have a golf cart but can't drive it on the main street. Um now I have to tell you the Middle and High School is not so great. My daughter goes to Southport Elementary school which is a good school. I never had any problems with the school teacher or principle. I hope I help some.
Good luck looking for a place for you and your family.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:47 PM

24 posts, read 138,488 times
I am looking for the same information.
Planning to locate in June 2008. I especially need information on schools. I have a daughter who will be entering high school then and both adults work in education (1 elementary teacher, 1 high school athletic director and coach.)
We will be relocating from Baltimore, MD - so comments about congestion and traffic and prices should keep in mind the area I am coming from.
Thanks for any help and let me know what you find out.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:45 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,185,850 times
I'm in Belville...it's a Leland zip code but it's off 133 heading toward Southport. NOT in an HOA subdivision. I see several homes for sell...lots of trees, nice yards. It's an older subdivision in front of the one I am in. My neighbors are really friendly. Liz

Old 07-12-2007, 10:04 AM

69 posts, read 453,977 times
I am relocating to Wilmington in August and have looked at many of the areas. I ended up going with an area North on Hwy 17 almost to Ogden. It is a nice area. But there are many nice areas around town too. Monkey Junction is popular and Forest Hills is a pretty place. Downtown is the place you have to be careful where the place is just because the areas can go from good to bad really quickly. I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!

Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 PM

24 posts, read 138,488 times
This was very helpful. I didn't hear from anyone else about areas changing in downtown Wilmington, so that is a big help. I am hearing a lot about crime and unsafe roads. (I need comments because I won't get a feel for these things in a few visits.) I suppose I could rent temporarily but would rather do careful research and visit so I can invest in the real estate there.

The issues I am having a hard time balancing are crime and road safety vs. hurricane issues and also being in a popular area for my daughter to spend her high school years in. This is a hard thing to determine.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:43 PM

69 posts, read 453,977 times
I have been down 5 times this year and have loved it every time. I dont know about the high crime but I would imagine that is mostly downtown like any city. There are lower income neighborhoods surrounding the pretty, historic district so you just have to watch where you are like I said.

As for unsafe roads, I dont know what people are talking about when they say that. Maybe just the traffic when it's a busy time by the beaches? that is my guess.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:06 AM

55 posts, read 735,702 times
thanks for your help.Can someone please tell me how the roads are there since they are not safe, Iam worried about that. Thats a main reason why i was trying to avoid some areas. Please let me know & are there areas that you think are the very best to look at? thanks

Old 07-14-2007, 07:20 PM

122 posts, read 482,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello47 View Post
thanks for your help.Can someone please tell me how the roads are there since they are not safe, Iam worried about that. Thats a main reason why i was trying to avoid some areas. Please let me know & are there areas that you think are the very best to look at? thanks
With lots of tourist traffic in the summer, none of the main roads are safe and most don't have sidewalks. Staying away from the major "beach" roads will help, such as College Rd., Market St., and Eastwood Rd.

The fastest growing area in New Hanover county is the Myrtle Grove (aka Monkey Junction) area, where S. College Rd. (Hwy 132) and Carolina Beach Rd. (Hwy 421) converge. Another plus about this area is that it is just outside the Wilm city limits, so property taxes will be half as much (you only pay county, not city but still have county water/sewer). There are lots of new subdivisions and schools in that area as well (south of that intersection). Also, the northern part of the county in an area called Ogden, where Market St. (Hwy 17) and Gordon Rd. converge. Again, the Wilm city limits ends just before Gordon Rd, so any of the subdivisions along Gordon Rd. (which are 10 yrs. old or less....I live in Alamosa Place subdivision) you will only pay county property taxes. Plus there are new schools in this area as well.

If you have looked for any houses for sale online and see some that interest you, give me the address(es) and I can tell you if its a good or bad part of town. Like any other growing city, there are "rings" that eminate from the city center that are either depressed, undergoing revitalization, or new construction.

Like a previous poster said, you can travel 1 block and go from million dollar homes to ghetto public housing, so you really need to do some real estate research and find out what house you could afford, then find out what neighborhoods they are in.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:04 PM

3,289 posts, read 9,185,850 times
However, LOTS of the new subdivisions off Market in the Ogden area that *I* saw looked like cookie cutter subdivisions. And were very small houses for the price range (as in 1100 - 1400 sq ft). And no trees to be had.

There are some rally nice houses in the Northchase subdivision. But anywhere in New Hanover you face higher properties taxes than you will in Pender and Brunswick Counties. Leland is growing like gangbusters. Now, there IS the issue of bridge traffic but there are two bridges across to/from Wilmington not one. Pender County doesn't have the issue of the bridge and Castle Hayne, Rocky Point along with Hampstead are all growing as well. Mostly it depends on where your job is located.

As far as roads not being safe...I haven't found them any less safe than any road any where else I have lived...Monroe, MI, Columbia, MO, Pittsburgh, PA, Atlanta, GA, Fullerton, CA, Greenville, SC...so any less safe...???? I don't know where people are getting that notion?

As far as hurricane issues, I was talking yesterday to a lady who picked up some stuff I had listed on freecycle who has lived here all her life...she said that hurricanes just aren't that big an issue here. She's lost a roof or two in the last 40+ years, and some tree damage but that's about it and she lives 6 blocks from the ICW (Intercoastal Waterway). Maybe she's just been lucky? Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina