Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 7,906 times

Advertisements

What are you looking for and in what price range? I'm sure someone could help if we knew what you were looking for in a little more detail. I do know there are some popular places in Leland, NC which is about 5 minutes south of Wilmington. It is growing rapidly due to the proximity to Wilmington, but it's not in the hustle and bustle and also Leland is in Brunswick County, so you'd enjoy lower property taxes as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 AM

76 posts, read 162,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suedonym View Post
are you in the area or looking from outside?

with a good agent, and the right house and seller, i imagine you can get a good deal on something. However, a lot of sellers still have the mentality of what THEY think their house is worth as opposed to what the market (ie: buyers) think their house is worth.
This might be a large part of our problem. And THAT is what is what prompted my first post. We made an offer on a house in a great neighborhood (loved the neighborhood, the house was just okay, no flood plain though so DH was happier). The comps, furnished by the selling agent, were $289K in the neighborhood, $305K foreclosure 1/2 mile outside the neighborhood, and $330K (that house had an in ground pool) 2 miles away.

So after negoiating a bit our top offer was $305K. They declined, they wanted $325K. We just didn't like the house enough. The selling agent went on to say in an email to our agent that back in January 2010 houses were going for $400K. Of course our first and only response to that was well unfortuantely we are in March 2011 and even your best comp doesn't get anywhere near that.

Background, DH has a job which we moved here for a year ago. Seems stable although as you know in today's world anything could happen. I also have a job but am "under employed". I work part-time and want to work full-time. So we are both working. Living in an apartment surrounded by college kids which amazingly enough hasn't been bad at all but after a year we are ready for a house again.

We would like to stay in Wilmington (DH works close to downtown) as we want to minimize the commute for DH as much as possible. We have almost ruled out Leland entirely because of the having to drive over the bridge. DH spent 10 years working in Atlanta with an 1 1/2 hour commute each way into downtown so he is really enjoying being able to get to work in 10-15 minutes and be home by 5:30 pm when his day allows for it.

Our budget is 300K. It seems low for this area I have to admit but we don't want to go any higher. We have looked everywhere from Carolina Beach (our agent keeps telling us stuff in Carolina Beach is priced right and selling right now) to Odgen. We don't like the Odgen area as much but of course if we found the right house then we deal with Market street traffic. School for our daughter is taken care at least for the time being.

DH is an engineer so flood plain, drainage issues, site design, etc is right up his alley. He knows what he wants in house and I think our agent is somewhat frustrated with us in that we are being so particular. He and I have done lots of "projects" and aren't afraid to rip up floors and lay down hardwood, tile, paint, etc.

We love Wilmington and are very happy to be here. It is a great city with alot to offer and we have throughly enjoyed exploring the area this last year and cannot wait to venture out some more this summer. We have yet to make up to the Outer Banks and I am chomping at the bit for a couple of trips up there to explore.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePrincessK View Post
DH is an engineer so flood plain, drainage issues, site design, etc is right up his alley. He knows what he wants in house and I think our agent is somewhat frustrated with us in that we are being so particular.
Everything you've said makes perfect sense to me and I agree. No crossing the bridge to leland, no carolina beach, no market street traffic, no flood zones, good schools, and not allowing yourself to be hassled by a realtor or bullied by an obstinate/delusional seller. You seem like you are doing great and avoiding a lot of local wilmington land mines.

it's certainly not impossible to find a house for $300k. you must want an awful lot of house, which is fine -- it is just that I am seeing ugly, but habitable places for $100k, and some pretty nice homes for $200k, which get much nicer very rapidly as you approach $225k and $250k.

I don't pay close attention beyond the $250k range, so I don't know what the mentality is like with those sellers. I know that if you want a bargain, start at Live Oak Realty. At the other end of the spectrum, if you are buying something listed with Intracoastal Realty, sleep on that one for an extra night, because they list their properties at a very optimistic prices.

Last edited by le roi; 03-29-2011 at 05:14 AM..

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,177 times
MyLittlePrincessK,
Are you represented by a buyer's broker? I ask this because you made mention of the selling broker giving you comps. A buyer's broker should do that for you. It's a strong negotiating tool. A foreclosure should not have been used as a comp.
Remember-The selling broker's legal responsibility is to the seller. There purpose is to get the best deal for the seller not you the buyer.
Bill

Old 03-29-2011, 06:18 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePrincessK View Post

So after negoiating a bit our top offer was $305K. They declined, they wanted $325K. We just didn't like the house enough. The selling agent went on to say in an email to our agent that back in January 2010 houses were going for $400K. Of course our first and only response to that was well unfortuantely we are in March 2011 and even your best comp doesn't get anywhere near that.

He knows what he wants in house and I think our agent is somewhat frustrated with us in that we are being so particular. We have yet to make up to the Outer Banks and I am chomping at the bit for a couple of trips up there to explore.
I think that was a reasonable offer. One thing I might do is if the house continues to stay on the market, go back and offer them the same in a couple of months. its amazing how time can sometimes change a mind

I think hubby and I win the award for the worlds pickiest buyers! LOL I am quite sure our agent would have ditched us if the payoff wasnt going to be so nice when we DO finally close! LMAO!

Definitely make the trip up beach and see the banks! Theres a property in Duck that we would buy in a heartbeat if it weren't we didnt need to be in Wilmington for the hospital for my grandparents!!!

@ le roi - I've noticed intracoastal seems to do that, too...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina