Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 05:06 PM

76 posts, read 162,139 times

Advertisements

Can somebody please explain the real estate market in Wilmington.......we are looking to buy and very frustrated......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
explain what?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:11 AM

1,695 posts, read 4,678,637 times
what are you frustrated about?

certainly tons of homes on the market, so it cant be lack of properties...

Old 03-27-2011, 09:42 AM

Yes there are alot of homes on the market. I suppose our budget is a big part of the probelm too. We have seen alot of what is currently on the market, some of it good, some it awful and alot of it very expensive, especially when you add in city and county taxes for some of the properties.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:46 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,404,025 times
we still don't know what you need explained?

Old 03-27-2011, 03:55 PM

I am sorry I guess I am just really venting. For some very misguided reason I was thinking it would be easier to find a house in a buyer's market here than it has turned out to be -- at least for us. And of course DH has to check the flood map on any house we are interested in.......which I understand but it drives me bonkers.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:37 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,678,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePrincessK View Post
I am sorry I guess I am just really venting. For some very misguided reason I was thinking it would be easier to find a house in a buyer's market here than it has turned out to be -- at least for us. And of course DH has to check the flood map on any house we are interested in.......which I understand but it drives me bonkers.
are you in the area or looking from outside?

with a good agent, and the right house and seller, i imagine you can get a good deal on something. However, a lot of sellers still have the mentality of what THEY think their house is worth as opposed to what the market (ie: buyers) think their house is worth.

As much as I hate commuting down from the raleigh area several times a month, I find that when I am there and meeting with my agent and looking at homes, its much easier.

You don't say what your budget is though so it makes it hard to be able to say if its even doable, or where might be the best areas to look.

Another idea is to look outside of wilmington (leland or castle hayne maybe) - in slightly more rural areas. Taxes, insurance, and home/ land prices are lower as you get out from the area. Anothger idea is to expand it out even futher to jacksonville/ shallotte...

of course, before any of that is even an issue, you need to have a job lined up, as the economy is not the greatest right now and it can take some time to find a job, especially one that provides a comfortable living.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,753,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyLittlePrincessK View Post
It should be tremendously easy to find a house.

Your DH is smart to be looking at flood zones. I don't know why that drives you bonkers. The truth is that those flood zone maps are smaller than they ought to be. There is plenty of risk outside those zones.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:25 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,033,192 times
Quote:
Your DH is smart to be looking at flood zones.
And can I have an A-Men!!
Too many buyers, too many brokers don't pay attention to flood maps. Many people think proximity to a body of water is a primary factor/cause of flooding. That's not necessarily so.
A lot that always seems to remain high and dry may be adjacent to a lot that floods continually. Examine and understand flood maps carefully.
Bill

Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM

551 posts, read 1,876,491 times
I'm not a real estate professional or anything like that but we did buy a house here a in 08. I would say a problem is that values have fallen since the peak of the market and many sellers owe more on their home than it is now worth. Even if they don't owe more, they feel they should get more. It is necessary to find sellers who actually need to sell and are realistic about current values, and it may take some work but you should find something nice. Another thing to look out, the necessary wind insurance will make your housing costs higher than in some other places. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina