Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 11:23 PM

215 posts, read 546,807 times

Advertisements

We visit Wilmington a few times a year. Always have the feeling I'm in the mountains of N.C.

It's a drab town with heavy traffic. Coming over the bridge from the South into Wilmington, I'm always amazed at what an eyesore Oleander Blvd. is. Downtown Wilmington missed the building boom and remodeling of the last 30 years.

A much younger population than New Bern.

You should take some time off and visit for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 12:27 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,800,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
I want an area which is the most similar to Cary in Eastern NC. Is that possible?
yup. that would be anything around Mayfaire and Wrightsville Beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
Like I have already mentioned, some of these posts have stated that Wilmington is less that ideal for them. Is it less than ideal for those whom are struggling to finding employment in this economy? Or is it less than ideal because they just hated it? If they hated it for reasons other than the cost of living, please state why so that I can get a better idea.
My biggest complaint about Wilmington is that it feels like a community of transients. There's not a clear line you can draw between tourists who stay for 2 weeks, and tourists who stay for 3 or 4 years.

It's also aggravating how everyone is from the Raleigh area, New Jersey, or Long Island. It's all basically the same thing to me, but if you're from Cary that should be right up your alley.

Quote:
Also, are the majority of Wilmington residents elderly like in New Bern or is a mix? I am a stay at home mom and would like my children to be able to have other children nearby to play with and a good school system. Thank you so much for your responses.
There are a ton of yuppie moms here in Wilmington. I can't point you to a specific neighborhood, but if I was in your shoes, I'd tell a R/E agent to show you houses near Wrightsville Beach, in family friendly communities, for under $500k. This area has embraced the idea of neighborhood schools, so proximity to a quality elementary / middle school is a huge deal. When I say "near WB" i mean, east of the university, close to the intracoastal waterway.

Last edited by le roi; 05-09-2011 at 12:59 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 01:21 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,631,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It's also aggravating how everyone is from the Raleigh area, New Jersey, or Long Island. It's all basically the same thing to me, but if you're from Cary that should be right up your alley.
Funny, I agree with this - at least today I do - and I grew up in NJ; moved here from Durham. The aggressive driving is really making me mad. I do like that I can get pizza that's similar to home, though.

OP: Wilmington is also somewhat similar to St. Petersburg, FL, but the economy is worse there. The infrastructure is very similar, as well as the funky, interesting downtown. As far as similarity to Cary, there are areas of Tampa Bay that resemble it as well (namely the Westchase development in Tampa and some areas of northern Clearwater).

Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 AM

16 posts, read 50,211 times
Default Wilmington

Gee, since I'm 64, guess you'd consider me elderly. I feel 35. Wilmington is an excellent choice for all ages as long as you have either a job or retirement income. It has so many unique restaurants you never have to go to a chain if you don't want to. I don't like to shop but if you do you can find everything from high level boutiques to Walmart. For healthy organic food there's Lovey's. For a city of this size, it has a wonderful art museum with educational programs for all ages. Have never gone to the childrens' programs but see them advertised frequently. If you want to take classes the community college, or UNCW, is available. There is an unbelieveable arts community with top-notch theater, gallery, dance, music, etc. opportunities. Multiple festivals are held around the area. We liked the Oyster Fest and the Blues and Jazz Festivals. Also the Azalea Festival and Riverfest is fun for the kids. This weekend we'll be at the Greek Festival. So much to select from that you can never run out of things to do. My husband loves boating and fishing and just learned to play golf and there's lots of all that here. The beaches are beautiful; the downtown and historical sections lovely; and the people extremely nice. If I didn't know better, would think Wilmington is an experiment to see if you have a place with something for everyone (water park for kids too - acquarium at Ft Fisher - the Cape Fear Museum - the Serpentarium!) nobody should be bored or complain there's nothing to do. There's also a wonderful hospital and an international airport. The traffic may be a little intense at times but that's because this is a place people want to be. At your price range you can live almost anywhere except maybe right on the water. This place deserves a visit.

Old 05-26-2011, 03:22 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,048,039 times
Great post, luminous! I stumbled on city data a few years ago & have been using it to narrow my search for relocating. Trouble is, there is so much information and insight that I went from considering one state to move to (TN) to four (TN, NC, VA & GA)...eek!

I have made 4 "look-see" trips so far & will probably have at least that many more to make before reaching a decision; so to OP: looks like you have your work cut out for you - good luck!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:43 PM

27 posts, read 71,454 times
I have traveled to the area since 1989 when my parents moved down there. A lot of stuff to do, have been to the aquarium, battleship, childrens museum, cape fear museum and many other places too numerous to mention. It is a nice area, not sure where to tell you to live, as my parents lived in Oak Island and now in Southport. (brunswick county beaches). That is where we are hoepfully moving to in about a year if nt sooner, so I can take care of my parents.

The only thing I do not like about Wilmington is the traffic. I am frm the Washington DC area and although I dont go into the district much, the traffic in outlying areas are bad at times. So i am used to traffic.

Thank you to Luminous for mentioning classes and such at UNCW. I am hoping when the day comes and we move south that I will find the time to go back to school, something I have wanted to do for years but never have because I have always had the kids around and work, i just couldnt fit it in properly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina