Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 7,320 times

Advertisements

Are there any other communities similar to Compass Pointe in the Wilmington/Leland/Southport/Hampstead area? Thank you in advance for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 02:31 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Similar in what respect? Amenities, builders, price range? There are dozens of "plantations" and communities with amenities in the area. Magnolia Greens and Brunswick Forest are some of the larger ones.

Old 12-10-2012, 05:14 PM

Here's a site which will allow you to compare communities in Brunswick County and Wilmington: Brunswick County NC Real Estate | Ocean Isle Beach | Carolina Plantations

Old 12-11-2012, 01:00 PM

3 posts, read 7,320 times
Sorry goldenage for not giving additional details. I am looking for resort style community that offers more than a clubhouse and a pool. My preference would be a villa/townhouse/condo over a traditional house. Compass Pointe seems to have a mix of people (no age restrictions) as well as many implemented and proposed amenities (golf, trails, amenity center, social activities), but would like to check out as many options as possible. I am younger and a community with all retirees would not be a good fit. A job in my field will not be an issue in Wilmington. I also do not mind a commute to get to the downtown area. I currently commute to the DC/Northern VA/Balt Metro area and the traffic can be frustrating. Thank you for the site suggestion. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 PM

Given that you would work in Wilmington, it sounds like Compass Pointe would be a good fit. Brunswick Forest is also a good choice, but I don't know the percentage of retirees. I know they have duplex villas for about $290,000. Some other "plantations" like St. James have condos and townhouses, but I think the commute to Wilmington would be too far.

Within Wilmington, you should check out the Mayfaire Towne Center for a more urban option. The Leland area is quite suburban with Applebees and Walmarts typical of the rastaurant and shopping choices. If you are used to the sophisticated choices of the DC area, Leland may be disappointing. We come from Silver Spring, MD and I miss the shopping and cultural choices of the DC area.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a078269 View Post
I am looking for resort style community that offers more than a clubhouse and a pool. My preference would be a villa/townhouse/condo over a traditional house.....A job in my field will not be an issue in Wilmington.
If you could also look at a job in Myrtle Beach, the Barefoot Resort might be appealing. It is geared more for young families than retirees.

Old 03-02-2013, 01:22 PM

I was thinking of the OP as I stopped by the Compass Pointe development today. If anyone is interested in visiting, it is probably best to make an appointment. The gate is guarded by an attendant. When I described myself at the visitor center, nobody could bother to interrupt their lunch to talk to me. I was giving the name of the sales director and her e-mail address.

The office has just a site plan of the development, and no picture of models. There appeared to be no model homes available. I was not told I could drive around.

I saw a listing board of recent lot buyers, and about 95% of them had northern state addresses. I'd guess that those 95% are retirees. So, if anyone like the OP is wondering if it will have younger people living there, the answer is probably not.

On the friendliness scale, I would rate them a 3 out of 10. The location is not close to the main shopping area in Leland either. If I were moving to Leland, I'd give the top rating to Magnolia Greens, with Brunswick Forest second.

Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM

158 posts, read 345,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I was thinking of the OP as I stopped by the Compass Pointe development today. If anyone is interested in visiting, it is probably best to make an appointment. The gate is guarded by an attendant. When I described myself at the visitor center, nobody could bother to interrupt their lunch to talk to me. I was giving the name of the sales director and her e-mail address.

The office has just a site plan of the development, and no picture of models. There appeared to be no model homes available. I was not told I could drive around.

I saw a listing board of recent lot buyers, and about 95% of them had northern state addresses. I'd guess that those 95% are retirees. So, if anyone like the OP is wondering if it will have younger people living there, the answer is probably not.

On the friendliness scale, I would rate them a 3 out of 10. The location is not close to the main shopping area in Leland either. If I were moving to Leland, I'd give the top rating to Magnolia Greens, with Brunswick Forest second.
Hi...just wondering why you are ranking Magnolia Greens above Brunswick Forest. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a brief drive through Magnolia Greens, it appears to be a much older community with very few available lots.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeastlady View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in a brief drive through Magnolia Greens, it appears to be a much older community with very few available lots.
That's why I like it. It is mature and not over-priced. It has everything I would need for amenities. This is strictly my personal opinion. I feel then brand-new properties in Brunswick Forest are a bit over-priced. (Again, my opinion only.)

Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM

149 posts, read 596,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Sorry the sales staff was not more helpful. I know that there are a number of model homes there for viewing, including my own which I hope to move into this spring. I hope your 3 out of 10 friendliness scale refers to the sales staff. It wouldn't be fair to judge a community based on one abbreviated visit. There is no age restriction on the community. I think it is safe to say the majority of home owners are retirees (as I would suspect many gated communities are) though I would think it would probably be less than 95%. If you should go back I would suggest having John Matoska of the sales staff assist you. He was very helpful to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina