Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:39 AM

8 posts, read 17,591 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a job in Greenville, NC. At the beginning I was excited about the news but once started to search about schools etc, I became a bit disparaged. Can anyone help me with more information about:

1) We're looking for house that is in Chicod school area? Do you think that this school is good enough? My kids are advanced students in 2nd and 3rd grades next school year. They have been in school district that was ranked in the highest 3% in the nation? Any thoughts about this school, public schools. Will it be a bad choice to have them in the public schools system?

2) I’m starting to concern about the safety issues that Greenville has, which I can't quite understand? Is the crime all over the town? Or there are few neighborhoods to avoid?

3) The area we're conceding for our resident is Woodmoore farms. Is it a save decent area? Any thoughts about it will be very helpful.

Any insider input will be higly appreciated and helpful with our decisions. Thanks

Last edited by amaltaha; 06-05-2011 at 08:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:16 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,761,931 times
I do not wish to be rude, but there are so many threads on this forum about G-Vegas it makes me sick. You should do a search, you will get plenty of info. I expect many are burned out about responding to G-Vegas questions. Good Luck.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:22 PM

Sorry to bother you or anyone else I did lots of search and there has been much conflicting information that did nothing but confused me more. I was only trying to get an honest advice from someone who lives there. When you're a parent you know that decisions will affect your children then you’ll feel that you have to seek every possible way to get it right and for that reason I was trying to seek advice from perhaps a mom or a dad of kids in this school / neighborhood who could understand my concerns.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:30 PM

451 posts, read 1,918,391 times
Woodmore Farms near Hwy 43? That area is pretty good - the Eastern Pines area of the County is generally very nice with lots of good subdivions and homes with large lots. From what i've read on this forum, most of the crime is in Greenville itself. Go outside of town and crime decreases a lot.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:35 PM

Thank you so much yes this is exactly the area I'm interested in. any ward about the Chicod School? is it in save neighborhood?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:17 PM

451 posts, read 1,918,391 times
Chicod is a good distance from that neighborhood. I'd say it was maybe 10 miles away or so. But, I have heard it does have a good reputation.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:16 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,122,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaltaha View Post
Thank you so much yes this is exactly the area I'm interested in. any ward about the Chicod School? is it in save neighborhood?
I'm going to help you out a bit here.

Pitt County is highly computerized. You can view a massive amount of information, right down to how much tax is paid on property, on their OPIS website. OPIS

Click and drag a box of the area you want to know about on the map. On the drop down menu on the left side you can view the school districts as they are and as they will be for the next school year. You should zoom in pretty close so you can see the names of the streets. The Eastern Pines area is split up between Chicod, Wintergreen and GR Whitfield elementary schools. I would pick them in that order.

Crime in general is concentrated north of Greenville Blvd. I don't know what it is about Greenville Blvd. but the bad guys generally don't come south and east of it. You can view the exact areas for crime with RAIDS Online provided by The Daily Reflector. The Daily Reflector

Old 06-07-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm going to help you out a bit here.

Pitt County is highly computerized. You can view a massive amount of information, right down to how much tax is paid on property, on their OPIS website. OPIS

Click and drag a box of the area you want to know about on the map. On the drop down menu on the left side you can view the school districts as they are and as they will be for the next school year. You should zoom in pretty close so you can see the names of the streets. The Eastern Pines area is split up between Chicod, Wintergreen and GR Whitfield elementary schools. I would pick them in that order.

Crime in general is concentrated north of Greenville Blvd. I don't know what it is about Greenville Blvd. but the bad guys generally don't come south and east of it. You can view the exact areas for crime with RAIDS Online provided by The Daily Reflector. The Daily Reflector

Thank you so much I'll check this information out. that is a great help, we decided to visit greenville in the next couple of weeks.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:59 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,281,503 times
If you can talk to your potential husbands coworkers, they can give you a wealth of knowledge. There are too many opinions here to give just one.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:19 PM

894 posts, read 1,351,331 times
I live right around the corner from Woodmoore. I love living out there & one day would like to live in that neighborhood. There is one house for sale currently, but I still feel it is over priced a bit...but it looks very nice. I ride my bike through that neighborhood weekly...it is very calm, relaxed & quiet at anytime. People seem to keep their property maintained & in good condition. I have experienced no crime in the 8 years I've lived in this area. I'm looking to move to a bigger house, but will stay in this area of town. No city tax, not far from everything & nice & quiet. Harris Teeter is just down the road if you need to pick up groceries. There is a new Wal-Mart coming out on Hwy 33 near Portertown/ Hwy 33. That will be great for that side of town...at least for the people not living directly beside it. The crime in Greenville is really more downtown & West Greenville than anywhere else. I've never experienced any trouble with crime & I've lived here since I was 3..only moving away to Raleigh for 5 years in college. If you're living out in Woodmoore, there are no crime issues & it's safe to do what you wish. I'm not sure where you are moving from, but if it is a big city, Greenville is def. not that...we're growing fast but there still lacks some things like a decent mall..why our mall sucks so bad is beyond me.

Chicod is one of the better schools in teh Pitt County district from what I know. It is a bit out of the way though as you have to drive down Hwy 43 to get there, it's like you're driving out in the sticks. The school itself looks old, old, old on the outside...but I believe they have good quality teachers & is one of the better places to go in the public school system. They are supposed to be doing some improvements to the school as well soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina