Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 07:10 PM

713 posts, read 3,929,629 times

Advertisements

I agree with all your comparisons except the tree stumps and clay in the beach sand. I've never seen that around here. In fact some sand was just rejected for beach nourishment because it had too many sea shells in it.

This is a picture of the beach near Fort Macon State Park not far from Atlantic Beach just across the sound from Morehead City, NC.

The sand is about as nice as any that I have ever seen, with perhaps the exception of Ocracoke.

The beaches are always changing. We walk on them three or four times a week and are always surprised to see how the sand has changed from one night to the next.

I have seen some of the sand out near Cape Hatteras so coarse that you sink a few inches in it.

While most of the time the water is very shallow near the beach, there are exceptions, near Bogue Inlet and again at Fort Macon for example.

This is Fort Macon where in certain areas they have warnings about not swimming.

Because of the deep water near parts of the beach, Fort Macon is one of our favorite spots to go watch the boats come in from fishing.

The University of NC Press has a great book called NC Beaches.

I have found that many NC natives do enjoy Bluefish. A friend shared their recipe with me, and it has made our catches of Bluefish very good eating.

You are right about the sound waters being tricky to navigate.

I actually know someone moving from the coast back to a lake because he didn't like the effort of learning how to boat safely down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2007, 07:43 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,620,439 times
Many thanks to everyone for the wonderful replies! I had no idea that my post was moved to a separate thread....glad I stumbled over it. Growing up in NJ, Long Beach Island was my home away from home during the summer months. I will always have those memories... now, with a family of 6, waiting for the sale of our home in Northern NJ and relocating to NC, I am so looking forward to experiencing the shores of NC to make new memories....I'm sure they will be beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend. Jeannie

Old 08-10-2007, 09:37 PM

Smile You won't be alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
Many thanks to everyone for the wonderful replies! I had no idea that my post was moved to a separate thread....glad I stumbled over it. Growing up in NJ, Long Beach Island was my home away from home during the summer months. I will always have those memories... now, with a family of 6, waiting for the sale of our home in Northern NJ and relocating to NC, I am so looking forward to experiencing the shores of NC to make new memories....I'm sure they will be beautiful. Have a wonderful weekend. Jeannie
Based on a check of license plates at the restaurants during the last few weeks, you can count on some folks from back home visiting when you get down here.

Drop by the Swansboro area when you get down here. It's a good way to slow down and transition to the coast.

I am well on my way to enjoying that slower pace of life.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:26 AM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
I agree with all your comparisons except the tree stumps and clay in the beach sand. I've never seen that around here. In fact some sand was just rejected for beach nourishment because it had too many sea shells in it.

This is a picture of the beach near Fort Macon State Park not far from Atlantic Beach just across the sound from Morehead City, NC.

The sand is about as nice as any that I have ever seen, with perhaps the exception of Ocracoke.

The beaches are always changing. We walk on them three or four times a week and are always surprised to see how the sand has changed from one night to the next.

I have seen some of the sand out near Cape Hatteras so coarse that you sink a few inches in it.

While most of the time the water is very shallow near the beach, there are exceptions, near Bogue Inlet and again at Fort Macon for example.

This is Fort Macon where in certain areas they have warnings about not swimming.

Because of the deep water near parts of the beach, Fort Macon is one of our favorite spots to go watch the boats come in from fishing.

The University of NC Press has a great book called NC Beaches.

I have found that many NC natives do enjoy Bluefish. A friend shared their recipe with me, and it has made our catches of Bluefish very good eating.

You are right about the sound waters being tricky to navigate.

I actually know someone moving from the coast back to a lake because he didn't like the effort of learning how to boat safely down here.
In 2003 Holden beach had beach renourishment and it was full of stumps lump clay so on and people were upset about the quality of it, also Ocean Isle had the same issue around that time. And the blue fish thing is also very true it is not a favored fish here to eat. Most of us Southern folks tend to fry fish and blue does not fry well ,suck up the oil, also the blues from here have a different taste and consistancy then from NJ not as good we consider it by catch or use it for bait for kings or spanish. also your attachment says just what I stated that it is considered by most unwanted fish.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Well if you read farther in the comments of the linked post, you will see this.

The following quote is from someone I have been fishing with since I was in grade school. I tried his recipe and the fried Bluefish was delicious.

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of Bluefish either but I do enjoy a nice fresh Bluefish fillet occasionally. I have found that how you clean then makes a big difference in the final taste. The next time you catch a few try the following: 1. Fillet the fish as you would any other fish but leave the fillet attached to the body at the tail. 2. Next start at the tail and fillet the flesh from the skin. This gets rid of the skin which can give the meat a stronger taste. 3. Now trim out the dark meat from the fillet which contributes more to the strong taste than the skin. You should end up with a nice skinless fillet that will taste much better. I prefer them fried. A good friend of mine, who is a fisheries biologist, showed me this back in the 70's and I've been doing all my fish this way ever since. Try it...I think you will be able to tell a difference. Take care and happy fishing....Mike

Old 08-12-2007, 04:05 PM

577 posts, read 1,902,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsobotta View Post
Well if you read farther in the comments of the linked post, you will see this.

The following quote is from someone I have been fishing with since I was in grade school. I tried his recipe and the fried Bluefish was delicious.
Like I said its not liked by most Tar heels and this is very true, I have been catching them and eating them my entire life at the coast off Atlantic beach through the very inlet you pictured, Try to find them in the local groc store, my post stated most do not like it.

Old 03-14-2009, 05:43 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Haven't been to Ocean City or Atlantic Beach NJ since I was a kid, but my experience with NC beaches is that they are (compared to most NJ beaches):

cleaner
less crowded
more accessible
quieter
larger
less developed
more peaceful

...guess you might say I like them better. I like walking long stretches by myself or with my dog. Hard to find that in NJ.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:17 PM

43 posts, read 146,842 times
I've not read all the posts but NC beaches are better, simply because we have the entire string of outer banks. I was stationed in Ft. Monmouth NJ from early fall of 72 to late summer of 73 and I saw some great NJ shore line. I loved Sandy Hook but NC has SO much more to offer that it isn't funny.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:27 PM

56 posts, read 219,577 times
But the beaches at Brunswick Island are N-a-rr---ow. And there are those
annoying shells to step over....give me NJ beaches anyday....well, there are nice dogs along the NC beaches....each has its benefits, but where the memories and the
grandkids are win in a heartbeat....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina