Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
I copied, with permission the following Facebook post. It's from someone I go to Church with who lives in Pamlico Co. but has a family farm in Beaufort Co.

"My thought for the day.... NEVER wait for or expect the government to help in a crisis, because it's the PEOPLE, not the govt who will be there for each other in times of great need! THANK YOU churches, volunteers, Pamlico Co and out-of-town donors, and Pamlico Co Relief for being there when the people of this county are in need!"

I saw this post at Facebook and immediately thought of my friends here at CD. This is the type of person that lives in eastern NC. This is the type of person you are judging, condemning, criticizing and telling to move out.

drama much?

other than giving our money, what is it you expect all of us to
do? the praying is obviously not working yet.

I do feel for these people living in a place
with not many resources and having to live in a
place prone to flooding.
I will send them positive energy to fight their
way to rebuild, [ perhaps on higher ground and on pilings]
or move.
many people in NC has had to reinvent themselves in
strange and new places and I do feel terrible that it
is happening in this economy .

after reading the article and seeing pics, I would
suggest that one way to start saving for a new life , they cut out the cigarettes, beer,
soda and chips for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 07:29 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,028,537 times
An injured land, in need of help - Other Views - NewsObserver.com

Old 09-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
other than giving our money, what is it you expect all of us to do? the praying is obviously not working yet.
I asked for one thing-Prayer. What I got was condemnation, judgement and criticisms. And how do you know that prayer isn't working "yet".

You guys ready to tell all of Tokyo to move?

TOKYO – A powerful typhoon was bearing down on Japan's tsunami-ravaged northeastern coast Wednesday, approaching a nuclear power plant crippled in that disaster and prompting calls for the evacuation of more than a million people.

Read more: Powerful Typhoon Headed Toward Japan Disaster Zone | Fox News

Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,823 times
Quote:
I asked for one thing-Prayer. What I got was condemnation, judgement and criticisms. And how do you know that prayer isn't working "yet".
Prayer is great, but it doesn't pay the bills. Relocating to a place with better opportunity does. It doesn't require alot of money neither. It just requires some MOTIVATION and for a person to get off their butt. My SIL cleans homes for a living and earns $200/day. It didn't require ANY money to get started. She advertises services on cragslist for free. She doesn't have the internet and uses the public library for the internet. Chances are EVERYONE has a vacuum cleaner and cleaning supplies. There are many other businesses one can start with little/no money. Home Cleaning/Landscape/ Lawncare/Pressure Washing/Pet Walking/Washing Cars/etc. Like I said it requires an individual to get up off their buttocks and stop waiting for a handout.

Old 09-21-2011, 10:45 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,400,163 times
way too dramatic,
seriously loosing credibility and starting to sound a little unhinged.

out of all the post there is one who did
not explicity say he wished them all the best,
sure it was an oversight.

Old 09-21-2011, 11:12 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,238,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post
way too dramatic,
seriously loosing credibility and starting to sound a little unhinged.
LOL!!!!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:35 AM

Yep, I'm being way too dramatic.

Above picture is from Columbia, NC. The below picture is from Aurora. Both mainland locations-Not Outer Banks

Old 09-21-2011, 12:04 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times
Bill, you brought up Japan. Here is how their cities deal with floodwater problems:

Japanese Storm Water Drain - The Blog Below: A blog about everything Underground
http://www.sharearchitecture.co.nz/s...pan-p-203.html

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

And speaking of credibility-You posted a picture of a sewer system located 50 meters under the ground.
Unbelievable Tokyo Underground: Sewer Labyrinth Dreamscape

Old 09-21-2011, 12:50 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,622,207 times
Quote:
And speaking of credibility-You posted a picture of a sewer system located 50 meters under the ground.
Unbelievable Tokyo Underground: Sewer Labyrinth Dreamscape
yes Bill, that is correct. The storm sewer system is located underground, like most storm sewer systems.

you wanted to know if i thought they should abandon Tokyo.. the answer is no, because they are obviously willing to go to extraordinary lengths to deal with their flooding issues.

a comparison more suitable for Lowland might be New Orleans, or the Netherlands.. an extremely risky coastal area that sits at sea level or below. Some people are willing to live in extremely risky areas, but these are usually areas where it is economical to build infrastructure to tackle the obvious environmental problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina