Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2007, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,429 times

Advertisements

My husband and myself are looking to move to Wilmington. We just came back home to Philly from visiting and we love the feel of Wilmington. We are both bartenders and would be looking for bartending jobs (to start). I recently graduated with a license in cosmetology and I have been a licensed in make-up for 4 years. He has a degree in criminal justice but doesn't know what to do with it. Ultimately, we would love getting jobs in our areas of specialization but for now we make great money tending bar here in Philadelphia. It's really time for a change of environment and we are looking to for a place to settle.... Any advice would be much appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 04:01 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,847,629 times
it really all depends on what you want out of a relocation place. I lived in wilmington in 98-99. moved back to washington DC for a while and moved back to wilmington two years ago. while I like it better than DC, I don't plan on settling here. a lot of people relocate here and some of the problems I moved away from are starting to follow me down here, high cost of living, traffic, ect. the jobs down here don't pay well at all, but working a tip job, you wouldn't notice that as much. when I lived here in the 90's, it had much more charm, but with every new yorker, DC'r, ohio'n, and whatever else that moves down here, it loses it's charm. I will tell you this though, it was an improvement over my life in DC. that is for sure. just wish more people would take more pride in the local culture and history rather than trying to turn this place into NY part two.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM

18 posts, read 57,205 times
"TURNING it into Ny part 2"......yeah, thats what is happening in Ne pennsylvania.

pizza shops where you pay 4 bucks for a lousy slice! sick of it. you can't eat a quick slice and a soda for under 6 dollars and honestly the slice is small and they skimp on toppings!

i do not mind transplants either but I hear ya. it does get ridiculous when someone moves from newark nj., comes to pa. and than complains when an industrial company makes a little noise or there is a little extra truck traffic. it makes the complaint section of the papers almost daily-complaints-but when you read the names they are all obviously not the traditional names that are common around here. some even complain that they moved here to escape that same issue! NIMBY 's....sorry to hijak the thread.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,491 times
I live in NY (Long Island, NY to be exact) and I have never paid $4 for a slice of pizza. You are out of your minds!! The only reason why it is so expensive for you is because they have to import the dough or the water to make the dough since pizza outside of NY sucks big time! As for making Wilmington a NY part 2 instead of taking pride in local culture and history, that is just ridiculous. Have you ever been to NY? We love culture and history...we are full of cultural events and museums and whatnot. We embrace that! So since neither of you know anything about NY, maybe you should keep your ignorant, redneck opinions to yourself!!!! Thanks!

Old 03-23-2011, 03:51 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn78 View Post
I live in NY (Long Island, NY to be exact) and I have never paid $4 for a slice of pizza. You are out of your minds!! The only reason why it is so expensive for you is because they have to import the dough or the water to make the dough since pizza outside of NY sucks big time! As for making Wilmington a NY part 2 instead of taking pride in local culture and history, that is just ridiculous. Have you ever been to NY? We love culture and history...we are full of cultural events and museums and whatnot. We embrace that! So since neither of you know anything about NY, maybe you should keep your ignorant, redneck opinions to yourself!!!! Thanks!
Congrats on responding to a post that was written in 2007.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:59 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,306,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Congrats on responding to a post that was written in 2007.
Apparently, New Yorkers are happy to vent their anger at anything, anytime. I see it on Southern forums all the time. Bleh.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 PM

431 posts, read 1,141,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Apparently, New Yorkers are happy to vent their anger at anything, anytime. I see it on Southern forums all the time. Bleh.
That's why I hate admitting I'm originally from New York. I'm ashamed.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:05 PM

1,695 posts, read 4,674,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
That's why I hate admitting I'm originally from New York. I'm ashamed.
well forgive you if you promise to be a good reformed NY'er and not whine or yell or otherwise cause a disturbance in our too slow too quiet too boring lives LOL

Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
just in time for the thread about obnoxious tourists.

Exhibit A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastalminded View Post
"TURNING it into Ny part 2"......yeah, thats what is happening in Ne pennsylvania.
-snip-
Exhibit B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn78 View Post
I live in NY (Long Island, NY to be exact) and I have never paid $4 for a slice of pizza. You are out of your minds!!
-snip-
"Snip" implies that a high enough threshold for obnoxious discussion has been reached.

for those of you keeping score at home:
NY 1
PA 1
NJ 0
VA 0
Ahia 0
Meechgan 0
Europe 0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina