Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 05:08 PM

431 posts, read 1,226,066 times

Advertisements

I love North Carolina !!

I am a big fan of Carolina Beach (we've been twice), however...last year we went in early May and there was not a whole lot to do other than sit on the beach (which would be fine with me but I have 2 kids ages 5 and 11!). The boardwalk was not open ...Britts was not open...the little kiddy rides were not open....

We went to Battleship NC one year and went to the aquarium both times we visited ...also rode the ferry to Southport. However this year we would like to try something different.

So I am needing suggestions. I like to travel before it gets too awfully hot outside so May or early June.

I have been to Myrtle in SC and it was just way too crowded for my taste . That was in July one year. It was very beautiful but crowded. Elbow to elbow people is not my idea of relaxing. (I know that is in SC but just giving an example).

Is there a happy medium ? Somewhere with say....go karts, some things for kids to do, but yet room to spread out and enjoy the beach?

Thanks for any suggestions ! If I am being too picky let me know ! (kindly, lol).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 06:16 PM

431 posts, read 1,145,064 times
I would say the outer banks. It might be too touristy for what you want, but there will be plenty to do.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 AM

417 posts, read 705,665 times
Could you please be more specific about what there is to do in the outer banks for kids? I know once kids reach a certain age they get bored with the beach and Carolina beach certainly has more amusements to offer than we do here at Topsail. It seems to me that the outer banks are even more isolated and have fewer amusements, am I wrong?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:41 AM

431 posts, read 1,145,064 times
The outer banks has go karts, miniature golf, dolphin tours, kite flying at Jockey's Ridge, the lighthouses...

Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,413,863 times
Britt's donuts are certaintly open by may!
how about driving into wilmington and go to the childrens museum downtown?
there is also segway tours , carriage tours thru downtown,
hiking to sugarloaf sand dune inside Carolina Beach state park.
the disco boats are fun for some people.
the aqaurium offers all kinds of classes for children , might that be something.
one can rent kayaks in the middle of Carolina Beach , defenitely open by may.
Wilmington has mini golf , go karts , water slide park etc. actually CB also have an outdoor go kart track.

take the ferry over to Bald head island, rent a golf cart and spend the day riding the many beautiful
trails, even better do it on bicycles .

give the kids surfing lessons from one of the many places in this area, possibilities are endless .

We have gone to the outerbanks many times and you will not find more entertainment there
that in this area. always thought that to do anything in OBX a good deal of time is spent
driving up and down that one road.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,922,209 times
Go back to Myrtle Beach but do it in April/early- mid May and you'll miss the crowds

Old 02-23-2012, 12:04 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,385,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGal78 View Post
I love North Carolina !!

I am a big fan of Carolina Beach (we've been twice), however...last year we went in early May

*SNIP*

So I am needing suggestions. I like to travel before it gets too awfully hot outside so May or early June.

I have been to Myrtle in SC and it was just way too crowded for my taste . That was in July one year..
I think you picked 2 good places, but might have switched the timing (as the PP said).

If you're going to hit up Myrtle, try for early in the season (early May sounds good) because most things will still be open and it won't be so crowded. However, in my experience, there are things in Carolina Beach open in early May, but not as many as are open a little later and not as many as open in Myrtle at the same time.

So if you're not up for a trip from late June - July when it's hotter and more crowded in both places, I vote for Myrtle.

Old 02-24-2012, 02:55 PM

31,692 posts, read 41,148,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndroid View Post
I think you picked 2 good places, but might have switched the timing (as the PP said).

If you're going to hit up Myrtle, try for early in the season (early May sounds good) because most things will still be open and it won't be so crowded. However, in my experience, there are things in Carolina Beach open in early May, but not as many as are open a little later and not as many as open in Myrtle at the same time.

So if you're not up for a trip from late June - July when it's hotter and more crowded in both places, I vote for Myrtle.
Some of the stores in CB open as much on the level of the crowds as they do a set schedule. At least Michaels Seafood is open year round.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:35 PM

441 posts, read 1,492,260 times
Not for me, give me seclusion like Calo. Now for the family, with all the things to do and covienence try Surf Side and Garden City just south of South Myrtle. Just make sure to go below 544 and you'll be good. Very family oriented and not too crowded, but within driving distance to anything Myrtle has to offer.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 PM

59,521 posts, read 27,660,340 times
You have to tell us what you want to do with the kids.

You can go to Ocean Isle and Sunset Beach and won't have to fight the huge crowds. Then go to Myrtle beach for evening entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina