Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2012, 06:02 AM

98 posts, read 368,736 times

Advertisements

Greetings all,

I may be relocating due to a great job offer up to Greenville, Nc. I am doing alot of research on crime and schools as I have three youngs kids. With all the serious research I am doing, I thought I would also ask how the hunting and fishing is near Greenville. Currently I live in SW Florida and am big into hunting and fishing. Can you tell me what kind of freshwater and saltwater fish are most sought after and is there plenty of access to places to fish? Also, how is the deer hunting and how easy is land to find/access for hunting. Are there good leases for hunting or are there farmers who allow hunting with permission?? Any advice is appreciated thanks to all in advance.

Scott
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2012, 12:13 PM

451 posts, read 1,913,383 times
For fishing, a lot of people around here drive to Morehead City and go out in the Atlantic. It's about a 1.5 hour drive from Greenville.

Hunting shouldn't be problem, just get to know some locals to get your foot in the door.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:59 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Plus, depending on how far you want to drive and what you want to hunt, we have some good federal game land more east of here.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
There are also plenty of small "holes" to fish at. They're kinda hidden all over the place on the rivers. The state has little mini parks complete with boat ramps. Greenville has a public ramp at the Town Commons.

They do a lot of hunting here too. I'm not a hunter but you hear gun shots quite frequently in the winter out in the country.

Your best bet is to ask around at the sporting goods stores or the gun stores.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM

98 posts, read 368,736 times
Great advice so far all thanks for the replies.

Scott

Old 03-22-2012, 11:22 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
You will be only a half hour or so (depending on which part of Greenville) from "Little Washington" where the Pamlico River is still called a river but it is pretty much the beginning of the sound. Lots of good fishing around there. In Greenville, the river (same one) is called the Tar and it has good fishing including runs of shad and stripers about now. Lots of public access to it.

As far as getting permission to hunt, if you will hunt pigs or coyotes there are farmers that will be very happy to have you. They are such a problem that the season is being eliminated and it will be (or is; it was to happen soon) 365/24. After you have helped them with nuisance critters, when deer season rolls around and you call them you would be a lot more likely to be allowed.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
As far as getting permission to hunt, if you will hunt pigs or coyotes there are farmers that will be very happy to have you.
Just curious, but I noticed there also an open season on nutria. Are they prevalent around Greenville? Apparently some have been spotted in Wake County, and they were a pest in the Chespeake Bay when I lived in Maryland.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:34 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
I have read about nutria being in NC, but it doesn't seem to be as widespread a problem yet as they coyotes or the worst problem - pigs. The pigs are a mix of wild and escapees from hurricanes in years past. The "wild" ones might actually be escapees from generations ago as well. Anyway, they are wreaking havoc on a lot of crops and they are fairly smart and hard to trap and/or hunt.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM

116 posts, read 338,821 times
OK school wise move to maybe the winterville area just south of Greenville,, good schools there. For hunting, most land is leased, or used by hunting clubs, you get get in a club or find a farmer and get permission. Also the State Wildlife has public game lands all over. Get a gameland permit and you can hunt on any of them depending on the season. They have a map whee they are located N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission > Home

They do a good job of providing opportunities to folks.

Fishing loads of it, tons of fresh water all around and just over an hour and salt water. Piers in AB and and Emerald Isle, loads of surf fishing and if you have a boat you are set.

Nutria, yep they are here, not really around Greenville but Hwy 70 south loads of them in the coastal areas. Considered a nusience species as are coyotes and feral hogs, just ask and a farmer will most likely let you shoot them to get them off his property, or trap good trapping down east also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina