Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 AM

84 posts, read 119,722 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if this is a country wide situation or if it depends on the area .....I find that I will look at MLS listings and they appear to be available properties, however , when contacting the listing realtor , I find that properties are being closed on or not available ..... To me , it borders on a " bait and switch " tactic and leaves a bad taste in my mouth and makes me not want to venture any further .... This has happened on quite a few properties that I have looked at .... It's not like there is a landslide market , and there is not enough time to post " Under Contract " on any properties that ARE under contract .... What's the story with this ? .....I would think that a listing agency like MLS would have no problem putting an " Under Contract " on properties that are in this state of sale ......Thanks, Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM

1,681 posts, read 6,034,388 times
It's somewhat of a loaded question, but let me try to explain.
The Multiple Listing Service that a Realtor belongs to is instant. On market, pending, sold, etc is a keystroke away from being posted.
Some Realtors have a public MLS they offer potential clients that allows everyone a degree of access to all listings. This is a service the Realtor pays for buy offers to the public at no charge.
Company websites are run by each individual agency and who knows how often they get updated. Other services will pull from public MLS listings and sometimes there is a delay. I've seen 2-3 week delays when a third party pulls from the public MLS.
If you are using the public version of the MLS that a Realtor is paying to use you should be able to access current information.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:29 PM

84 posts, read 119,722 times
Hi Bill ,
Thanks for the info ....A lot of times to make things go quickly, I will get info from Realtor.com .......It's fast and you can narrow down a search quickly ....THIS is the site that I find gives me info that is outdated and in a lot of cases , the info is more like MONTHS late .....For example ....One house that I had been looking at I finally decided to call on ....I was then going to contact you to make an offer on this house .....The house will be closed on in a WEEK !!.....Nothing is mentioned at all on Realtor.com about the house even being under contract ..... I thought that Realtor.com was basically just a MLS site ...?????.....Thanks again , Jim

Old 04-10-2012, 06:54 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
No, realtor.com is not an MLS site. Realtors pay to put their listings on realtor.com and realtor.com also digs for listings from the MLS. But it is NOT updated instantly like the mls.

To really get good, current to the day information, you have to go to a site that is on the mls, which you can only get through a realtor. Sorry, but most realtors will give you access if you are their client. If they won't, I'd find another realtor who will - IF you are their client.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:16 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,034,388 times
Realtor.com is one of those third party sites. Believe it or not-Few Realtors will pay to have a public MLS at their site. I can't say anymore without getting in trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina