Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2007, 11:59 AM

429 posts, read 1,866,116 times

Advertisements

I love the outer banks, but it's been seven long years since I went.

I would love to go this summer but I see a couple of obstacles in my way.
I just got out of college, so I can't afford a 3500 weekly resort.
Also I haven't reserved anything and from what I knew back when I went you had to this months in advance.

I don't Kitty Hawk so much, I prefer South Nags Head, never been to Hatteras Island.
The best memory of the Outer Banks is open fields, nature, warm water, and a great surf.

I can't afford a whole week but wanted to know if it's feasable I could come down sometime in early to mid August for a couple of days, maybe a 3-4 day weekend, stay in a convenient but economical place, and have this experience OR if it's
-Too late
-Too pricey for somebody to have a long weekend at an economical place unless you want Kitty Hawk.

I'd take a motel in south Nags Head or Hatteras Island, heck maybe even Kitty Hawk if worst came to worst.

Last question, has the Outer Banks changed much?
Is it still nice and pretty or has become way developed in the last seven years?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2007, 12:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,578,373 times
I just took a vacation there last week before the summer rates kicked in and got a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath pvt pool and jacuzzi fully stocked for $525 in Avon for 7 days. That same rental goes for 1795 in mid august. You might also want try craigslist as well

I was very amazed how Hatteras Island and north side of Ocracoke is undistrubed with commercial development.

What I like most about Hatteras Island is the beach towns on the island have their own village type of feel with mom and pop type shops , restaurants, and cute looking store fronts. The only chain store I saw was Food Lion.

I know August is still a prime summer month but you might find a condo within your budget. Prices do tend to be lower on hatteras island because people tend to stay in the northern end due to box store amenities and more entertainment options and less of a drive. But if you are going to just enjoy the beach I recommend Hatteras or Ocracoke islands.

There is some real estate agents that do offer nightly rentals on the houses and I saw that some of the campgrounds do have cabins and was beachfront another option to consider. I also saw some mom and pop motels

One thing I thought was a plus is for me it was mostly a smooth ride out there they have majorly improve Hwy 64 alot of it is even 70mph speed limit

here is a photo of one of beaches near pea island

Here a photo of avon

This beach was near Rodnathe

There a trail near the end of Hwy 12 in corolla that I stumple upon by accident (I only knew of the currituck lighthouse and of course wild horses but didnt know of maritime forest and this beautiful estuarine it really took my breath away

i thought kitty hawk nags head and the towns up north of those cities was cute but too develop for waht I was looking for.

Old 05-25-2007, 04:20 PM

123 posts, read 552,144 times
we are going for the 1st time next month. Hope this isn't off the subject, but are there gators in the sound or estuaries to consider when boating or watersprorts?

Old 05-25-2007, 08:30 PM

it was one of my concerns since I kayak and inflatable kayak on top of that but from my understanding they tend to stay in fresh water part of the canals of the sound which tend to be in most the inland part. (before you cross the bridge to obx) Im not certain about pea island but I would think most of water would be more salt water base around that area.

Far as motorcraft you will find great info on obx related websites about best places to go fishing, jetskiing wake boarding or parasailing etc and there is eco kayak tours Usually up towards kill devil hills or on hatteras island around Canadian hole or at the new inlet or oregon inlet.

I dont think they will be a big deal unless you are disturbing where they are but far out on water shouldnt be an issue. Stop in one of the parks or refuge and I'm sure they will give you idea of their hot spot locations.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:26 PM

123 posts, read 552,144 times
Kayaking is on my to do list, based on your post, definitly not an inflatable though :-) Never can tell where the strays may be.

Old 05-25-2007, 11:36 PM

429 posts, read 1,866,116 times
Do you think I can find a motel in the area or something cheap or not going to be the case?

Old 05-26-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Do you think I can find a motel in the area or something cheap or not going to be the case?
Im not sure when you are going so good luck on the hunt.

This was my first year staying in a beach home rental vs hotel & motels and after I added up the days I would end up paying for a motel I realize a home was actually cheaper there some sites I have seen that have nighly rentals and 2 bedroom cottages for less than 800 during the peak of summer the two I narrow down when I was hunting was Midgett Realty and Outerbeaches for rentals on hatteras island there plenty of others as well.

Travel insurance that really up to you depends on how close you are going to hurricane peak season if it worth the investment

I first tried those travel discount sites for motel and hotel and they only show two so I was amazed to find about each town had there own motels some had several If you go to OBXconnection website they have a list of each one and reviews Im not sure how new the site is since most only have about 5 reviews but least it will give you an idea also visitob has alot of useful info as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina