Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:14 PM

40 posts, read 82,148 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some insight. I currently live in the New England area and would like to move down to NC, which is my favorite state. My question is this, how do you manage to get a job in NC prior to moving? Is this even at all possible? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:20 PM

431 posts, read 1,142,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGeorgia View Post
Hi all, I am new to this forum and was hoping to get some insight. I currently live in the New England area and would like to move down to NC, which is my favorite state. My question is this, how do you manage to get a job in NC prior to moving? Is this even at all possible? Any suggestions?
What kind of job do you do? Can you transfer your job?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM

I work in the real estate industry, not as a realtor though, basic office work. So no transfers available, and looking for some kind of office work, such as administrative assistant.

Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissGeorgia View Post
I work in the real estate industry, not as a realtor though, basic office work. So no transfers available, and looking for some kind of office work, such as administrative assistant.
All I can suggest is that you start looking for and applying for jobs. Maybe you could get a job at a realtor's office here or at an apartment complex.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:29 PM

Thanks coffeebean330 that's actually a good idea. I will look into what real estate offices that may need someone to do some office work. Thanks.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 8,587 times
Check out the internet. Alot of places now have online job applications,then go to your local unemployment office and they can help you out alot, give you info on any jobs available there and you can check out the jobs in their local newspaper (starnews online). I'm sure you can find out what you need to know from onr of them.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:52 AM

MissGeorgia, have you been down here? Maybe the best option would be to just stop by the realtors offices and see what's available, and maybe make some connections. That way you can leave a resume and they will have a face to go with it as opposed to some random application from the internet. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 9,261 times
MissGeorgia, Most companies will conduct a phone interview with no issues once they have received a resume. Check out indeed and simplyhired for jobs in the Wilmington area.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:03 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will most definitely look into them. Yes coffeebean330 I have been down there a few years back, and really love the state of NC.

Old 05-31-2012, 11:43 AM

3 posts, read 6,690 times
I moved here 2 years ago from across the country and I can tell you from experience that it is really hard to secure a job when you don't live here. Companies usually have hundreds of local applicants for office jobs and, unless your resume is exceptional, they don't want to go through the extra hassle of dealing with someone out of state. I took a huge leap of faith, saved as much as I could, and moved here with no job. I have been very blessed and was able to get a job within 2 months. The job market is tough but if you have a good work history and references you should be able to find something within a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina