Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:04 PM

5 posts, read 25,890 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of relocating to the area and are looking for some input from current residents. We are now in the Annapolis/Baltimore/DC area (closest to Annapolis) and looking to get out of the high traffic/high cost/high stress lifestyle My wife telecommutes, so working from any where with a somewhat decent internet connection is all she needs, she will not be leaving her job for this move. I would be looking for something in higher education - education and/or government contracting.

Ideally, we want to be close to Wilmington (medium city with stuff to do) but closer to the beach. And within a decent commute to downtown or any place that I may be able to find work. From what I have seen, Caroliona Beach seems to be very nice (Carolina Sands especially). Any one that has info of this neighborhood, please send me some feed back.

Just some info about us: we live in a flood zone now (Isabelle put 5 feet of water in my current house) so we are cool with the Flood Zone FEMA Federal Flood Insurance info. We are mid 30's enjoy a drink here and there and going out to eat, some theather, festivals, etc... pretty laid back. We both enjoy sports and I am pretty active with gym/tennis/water skiing/surfing (when I can) etc. We are expecting child #1 in a few weeks and would be looking to move sometime in 2008. Possible early 2008 depending on the sale of out current home and job prospects for me.

Wea re looking for a comfy town with confy people and a nice place for our kids to grow up. Also, from what I have seen and read Ashley High School seems good on paper? Is that accurate? How about the Middle and Elem Schools? Thanks! Ed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 6,313 times
Default Carolina / Kure Beach

Hi There, I would like to introduce myself, and offer my assistance. I recently read your posting and thought it was fit to respond since I live in Carolina Sands (which I love), and I am also involved in Real Estate. I am familair with the schools, area amenities, flood zones, etc.

At your convenience, I would be happy to provide any additional information to you and your family. I can be reached at 910-352-0998, or by replying to this posting.

I'd also invite you to visit our website as it will provide add'l information on the area too!

Thanks!

Justin

Carolina Beach

Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Thanks

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the info and the link. I will check it out and be in touch when we decide we are ready to come down and take a look. I am thinking sometime after the first of the year we are going to make it down there to see the different areas. And also determine what best fits out needs.

I will be in touch and hopefully set something up to take a look at a few properties. Thanks Again! Ed

Old 10-09-2007, 07:09 AM

116 posts, read 533,168 times
Default Carolina Beach is a wonderful place to call home

Hi Ed,

I moved to Carolina Beach just over a year ago and absolutely love it. We had been living up closer to Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington but decided to move to Carolina Beach because it is much more geared towards an active lifestyle and I believe the area is currently one of the most undervalued beach communities.

I'm also originally from the Washington, DC area and used to enjoy riding on the numerous bike paths throughout the area. Plus, we enjoyed being able to go down downtown and spend the day walking around taking in the sights. But unfortunately, the Wilmington area is not very pedestrian nor bike friendly. They have a few trails but most of their bike avenues entail traffic 'bike lanes' which are basically a two to three foot strip of blacktop on the side of the road (although many just refer to that patch as the "traffic overflow lane"). Needless to say, it does not create a relaxing environment for a bike ride.

Carolina Beach on the other hand has several bike paths in the area and an abundance of side roads that you can use to explore the island. Their is a wide bike lane that runs along the road that takes you all the way to the tip of the southern tip of the island. The lane is quite wide and since the speed limit is fairly low and the road is straight, it is a leisurely and very enjoyable ride. Not to mention, their is a 1.5 mile trail around Carolina Lake which is a wonderful place to go for a jog or walk. My wife and I find that we take walks each evening and usually go down to the central business district and take in the sights or have coffee.

Although Carolina Beach has historically had a reputation as being a bit run down compared to their sister beaches, CB is in the midst of a major revitalization. The plans for the central business district are truly impressive and I suspect within five years, this will be a highly sought after location. Some of the projects that have been approved are quite impressive and I imagine that it won't be long before we have a new infusion of restaurants, shops and entertainment options. With that said, I truly believe CB is one of the best investment potentials for any of the east coast beach communities. If one just takes the time to see where the future is headed here, they'll see exactly what I'm talking about. The days of being able to purchase a lot just a couple of blocks off the beach for under $175k will soon be a memory imo. And keep in mind, that the residents and town counsel are eager to embrace controlled growth while still maintaining the small town feel. This will be one of the beach towns that was done right.

Anyway, here are some links that you may find helpful:

Here is one development already approved- Park Place at Carolina Beach

The development plan for the central business district-(click on master development plan)
Welcome

Local paper/publications:
Island Gazette Online - Home (http://www.islandgazette.net/content/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 - broken link)

Carolina Beach NC - Vacations

Pleasure Island Chamber of Commerce: Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, & Ft. Fisher
Snow's Cut Monthly | Life, News & Culture on the Cape Fear Peninsula

I wish you the best in your search and I'm sure at the very least, you will not miss the DC traffic no matter where you eventually settle ;-)

Old 10-09-2007, 07:33 AM

Default Two more things forgot to add....

CB is still close to downtown Wilmington so you can take in all the sights and activities that the area offers plus you are still only a 25min drive to the airport.

Lastly, if you have any interest in the film business, my wife and I have been extras on several films in the area. I never knew until I moved down here that the Wilmington area is one of the premiere locations for east coast filming (outside of NY) and they even have a very large film studio here. We have had a lot of fun and have even made some dinner money ;-)

Here's a nice article about the last film we worked on (from an extra's point of view):

You Oughta be in Pictures: My Life as an Extra | Snow's Cut Monthly

Old 10-10-2007, 07:15 AM

Default Thanks BeachLiving!

Thanks for the info and links! I think our plan is to come down in December and meet with a Real Estate agent - check out some houses as well as the area. Of all the places we have viewed CB seems to be right for what we are looking for in a place to move. I grew up on the coast (Atlantic and Gulf) and am looking to get back to that "life style" and I want my kids to have that kind of atmosphere to grow up in too.

Thanks Again -

Old 11-09-2007, 07:29 AM

Default Good Luck EFS1

That is a good time to visit as the island will be quiet and you'll be able to easily move about. Not to mention, there are many Christmas events in Carolina Beach and Wilmington that you might be able to partake in if time permits.

Best of luck with your search!

Old 11-09-2007, 06:58 PM

5 posts, read 21,449 times
Exclamation Don't Move To Wilmington,nc

Folks: Whatever you do, do not move to Wilmington. I moved here from Maryland about two years ago. I don't know where to begin to tell you how horrible this place is. Utterly corrupt. The prevailing development interests just repurchased the mayor and a new crop to council flunkies. The tax rate is the same as Maryland (even with O'Malley). Crime is out of control. At a recent community association meeting a representive of the Wilmington Police Department said the Department does not concentrate on drug crime because drugs are a "lifestyle". Carolina Beach itself is a seedy dump. Carolina Beach Road, from the Beach to Wilmington, is a congested nightmare. Wage rates are low and few jobs have benefits.There is a total culture of corruption here. I've found that even many of the dentists are corrupt. I have nothing good to say about Wilmington, NC. The weather is nice. But Cuba has nice weather. I don't want to live there either.

Old 11-10-2007, 10:21 AM

Question 100% disagree with your characterization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warthog View Post
Folks: Whatever you do, do not move to Wilmington. I moved here from Maryland about two years ago. I don't know where to begin to tell you how horrible this place is. Utterly corrupt. The prevailing development interests just repurchased the mayor and a new crop to council flunkies. The tax rate is the same as Maryland (even with O'Malley). Crime is out of control. At a recent community association meeting a representive of the Wilmington Police Department said the Department does not concentrate on drug crime because drugs are a "lifestyle". Carolina Beach itself is a seedy dump. Carolina Beach Road, from the Beach to Wilmington, is a congested nightmare. Wage rates are low and few jobs have benefits.There is a total culture of corruption here. I've found that even many of the dentists are corrupt. I have nothing good to say about Wilmington, NC. The weather is nice. But Cuba has nice weather. I don't want to live there either.
"Whatever you do, do not move to Wilmington. I moved here from Maryland about two years ago."
I moved here from Arlington, VA and absolutely love this area. I lived in the City of Wilmington for four years and have lived in Carolina Beach for two.

"Utterly corrupt. The prevailing development interests just repurchased the mayor and a new crop to council flunkies."
Mayor Saffo has done a wonderful job following in the footsteps of former Mayor Broadhurst. Both Broadhurst and Saffo were able to take a fractured city council and actually make it work for the community. Although Petterson was a likable person, his management style did not win him many political fans. Wilmington is thriving and the future of the downtown area has never been brighter. Mayfaire continues to draw in out of town visitors who spend their shopping funds here thus helping create revenues. The two new council members who were elected are bringing in a new vigor to the council and I only expect good things from them. To refer to them as 'flunkies' is completely inappropriate.

"The tax rate is the same as Maryland (even with O'Malley)"
NC ranks 19th as far as the tax burden on citizens. Maryland is 23rd. So overall, taxes are a bit higher in NC.
The Tax Foundation - State and Local Tax Burdens Compared to Other U.S. States, 1970-2007

"Crime is out of control."
As for crime, yes it is higher than the average for a city of this size. But it is very localized and I personally feel safe whenever I'm out and about. As with most towns, use common sense and know where the few areas are that one should avoid. But on the upside, crime is being reduced as shown in the crime stats.
Wilmington, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

"Carolina Beach itself is a seedy dump. Carolina Beach Road, from the Beach to Wilmington, is a congested nightmare."
I couldn't disagree more with your assertion. As one that grew up on the northside of Arlington, VA, I'm quite familiar with how you may perceive the world. Carolina Beach is in the midst of a fabulous transition and I fully expect the central business district to become a 'hot spot' for tourist in the years to come. Just this week, Fairfield Inn (another Marriott property) has announced their intention to build a new 11 story hotel next to the current Courtyard Marriott. Also, another branded hotel corp is working on building a high rise hotel on the north end of the boardwalk area. When you couple these facts with the current plans to revitalize the entire CBD and boardwalk area, one can see the future of Carolina Beach. Currently, the town has a lot of charm and has some of the most decent and unpretentious people I have ever known. Crime is virtually nil and neighbors genuinely look out for each other. I've never experienced a town like Carolina Beach where one feels like they live in a community...it truly is a warm place. And although there are many older cottages (although many are being rebuilt as more and more folks discover this lovely place), most folks take pride in their properties and keep them up nicely. If all of this equals seedy, then call me a farmer who enjoys sowing his seeds.

As for Carolina Beach road, yes it is a main thoroughfare and is congested during prime time hours. But fortunately, there are two other roads that run parallel to CB road and have virtually no lights. River Rd runs north alongside the Cape Fear river and Myrtle Grove runs north alongside the Intercoastal and both flow freely due to limited lights.

"Wage rates are low and few jobs have benefits."
I personally do not see this point as being valid as everyone I know has a decent job and benefits. There are many career opportunities here and the job market continues to expand as the city attracts new businesses and commercial growth.

"There is a total culture of corruption here. I've found that even many of the dentists are corrupt."
I'm at a complete loss with your assertion. BTW, I'm acutally quite pleased with my Dentist and his Dental Hygenist.

"I have nothing good to say about Wilmington, NC. The weather is nice. But Cuba has nice weather. I don't want to live there either"
Well I guess the good news for you is that your situation should be easy to rememdy. Best of luck to you whereever you choose to move.

Last edited by BeachLiving; 11-10-2007 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: error

Old 11-10-2007, 01:49 PM

5 posts, read 21,449 times
Exclamation Don't Move to Wilmington

My, we are defensive, aren't we. How long have you been selling real estate in the Wilmington/Carolina Beach area? Just thought I'd return and add a few "Wilmington Highlights" I left off before. How about over 100 raw sewage spills in the last few years or the hoard of illegal immigrants. How about a city wastewater system that combines with the sewer system to render the ocean beaches unusable for days after any large rainstorm? Also of interest is that Saffo received over $130,000 in campaign contributions from real estate/development/legal interests for a $14,000 per year job. The other two winning council candidates were also extensively backed by the same interests. I'm going to stay a while just to irk people like you. I own a pair of waders. Now that I've lived in Wilmington I don't have to take a trip to Albania or Argentina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina