Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 25,400 times

Advertisements

Visited both Brunswick Forest and St. James Plantation recently. Cannot decide which one to buy in. Can someone give some feedback on both places?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2012, 07:39 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renaldo1 View Post
Visited both Brunswick Forest and St. James Plantation recently. Cannot decide which one to buy in. Can someone give some feedback on both places?
The feedback would depend on whether you plan to play golf frequently enough that you want a full golf membership. In addition, would you want to build a fully custom house, or would you want a standerd model?

Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'll agree with GoldenAge's comments, and add that SJP is considerably farther away from other amenities that you may desire (Wilmington).

Old 07-30-2012, 05:48 AM

I would find these scorecards helpful to compare features, although they may have some errors.. The also give the current HOA and golf fees, but please confirm these with the developments themselves, as there are better ways to handle the golf membership at SJP.

Brunswick Forest - Leland, NC | Real Estate Reviews

St. James Plantation - Southport, NC | Real Estate Reviews

I’ve been through Brunswick Forest. One advantage is the closeness to the Highway 17 shopping and restaurants, and easier access to Wilmington. The major builder has sets of standard models which make is easy to find something you like. The amenities have all been built, and there are many available lots.

I haven’t been through SJP. But the many fans here will point out that it has some unique features: a marina and a private beach among them. I see a couple of disadvantages. One is that to use the swimming pools and tennis, you have to have a social membership to a golf club. Another is that you have to deal with custom builders, and we did not have the patience or time or budget for that, although you may.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:54 AM

32 posts, read 100,123 times
I've finally made the decision to buy in Brunswick Forest. SJP is very nice, but a little too far from the Wilmington area, for me. I've been looking for almost a year now. I'll been in most of the subdivisions in both Wilmington and Brunswick County. There are many beautiful homes available for sale. It all came down to the neighborhood. I noticed that after a while I kept comparing any new community I visited to Brunswick Forest. I like that it's close enough to any type of shopping or resturants I wanted to go to, but just far enough out for me - I like a very quiet surrounding. The master plan of Brunswick is really nice - parks, trails/paths, sidewalks throughout. I don't play golf but there's enough other things to do, from the pool to the fitness center. Grocery store, CVS, bank, medical offices right there - I really like that - I like not having to drive far (or drive at all) for basic stuff. Excellent builders - I'm getting a brick home for a good price. I'm glad I finally made a decision, I started to feel that I could keep looking forever and never make a decision.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 25,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The feedback would depend on whether you plan to play golf frequently enough that you want a full golf membership. In addition, would you want to build a fully custom house, or would you want a standerd model?

Both STJ and Brunswick are very nice. We do not play golf at this point. We do not own a boat although we might want to look at that ( my younger son might want to buy one and keep it in NC). My wife and I will officially retire full time in 6 years, but want to buy a lot now and build in the next couple of years and and use as a vacation home until then. Proximity to the beach is VERY important to us. So is security, things to do, and access to shopping. We are going back and forth on this decision. Any ideas are appreciated.

We looked in South Carolina, but tax on second home is very costly for out of staters.

Old 07-30-2012, 10:54 AM

71 posts, read 312,645 times
We looked in South Carolina, but tax on second home is very costly for out of staters.

Congratulations on doing your homework on property taxes for second home owners in SC. The legislature changed the rules and we got stuck. Our property taxes are 4 times as much as our resident neighbor who happens to be a resident.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:56 PM

858 posts, read 2,993,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I would find these scorecards helpful to compare features, although they may have some errors.. The also give the current HOA and golf fees, but please confirm these with the developments themselves, as there are better ways to handle the golf membership at SJP.

Brunswick Forest - Leland, NC | Real Estate Reviews

St. James Plantation - Southport, NC | Real Estate Reviews

I’ve been through Brunswick Forest. One advantage is the closeness to the Highway 17 shopping and restaurants, and easier access to Wilmington. The major builder has sets of standard models which make is easy to find something you like. The amenities have all been built, and there are many available lots.

I haven’t been through SJP. But the many fans here will point out that it has some unique features: a marina and a private beach among them. I see a couple of disadvantages. One is that to use the swimming pools and tennis, you have to have a social membership to a golf club. Another is that you have to deal with custom builders, and we did not have the patience or time or budget for that, although you may.
Great Links; however, the HOA fee differences begs the question as to what are the differences in what's included in the HOA fees, where BF HOA fees are $2,160, and SJP HOA fees are $774?

Old 07-31-2012, 04:06 AM

140 posts, read 317,462 times
They are different type of communities. St. James is more of a retirement development with an average age of 65 I believe, compared to Brunswick Forest which has a more mixed population of young families and older residents.

Ron W.

Old 08-01-2012, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
Great Links; however, the HOA fee differences begs the question as to what are the differences in what's included in the HOA fees, where BF HOA fees are $2,160, and SJP HOA fees are $774?
I am not the expert, but I believe that BF includes the use of the pools, tennis and fitness center in the fees. Whereas, at SJP, the HOA fees are lower because one needs also to buy a social membership in a country club to use the pools and tennis. Of course, in both communities the HOA fees also cover the maintenance of the common areas, lights, gates, etc. (Obviously, anyone considering buying should confirm this.)

For the OP, I think this would give an edge to SJP. If they bought a lot now, they would have to pay the lower HOA fees for 6 years until they retire there.

Overall, I would give the edge to SJP in terms of amenities, as it has the private beach and marina. Even if one doesn't use them right away, it adds value to owning a lot in the community. In addition, the main thread on SJP includes a recent report that there are dozens of foreclosed lots in the market in the range of $30-60K. I've checked them out on Realtor.com, and some even have pond-views. I think there are some good investments there.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-01-2012 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Added bit about pond-view lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina