Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 37,232 times

Advertisements

I got a ticket for speeding in a school zone last month in Jacksonville, NC. It really was an honest mistake, it was the last 10min of the school zone hours, there were no kids, no traffic, and it was the first day of school. I just moved to the area and had no idea school started already. I know thats not an excuse but it really was an honest mistake for everyone who wants to bite my head off for being a terrible person. Anyway the fine is really high and I do not want points that make my insurance go up. I'd like to ask for a prayer of judgment. My question is can I get a prayer of judgment if I am not a NC licensed driver? I recently moved down here... If I got my NC license before my court date would I be eligible for the prayer of judgment? Even if my ticket has me recorded as a NJ driver? Also I am really low on money. I am a full time college student and can't really pay for a lawyer. Would I have a good chance at getting the prayer of judgment if I just represent myself? Thanks in advance.

Also I got a ticket reduced to improper equipment about 2 months ago. These are the only two times I've been pulled over in my life, unfortunately they happened very close to one another :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2805 View Post
I got a ticket for speeding in a school zone last month in Jacksonville, NC. It really was an honest mistake, it was the last 10min of the school zone hours, there were no kids, no traffic, and it was the first day of school. I just moved to the area and had no idea school started already. I know thats not an excuse but it really was an honest mistake for everyone who wants to bite my head off for being a terrible person. Anyway the fine is really high and I do not want points that make my insurance go up. I'd like to ask for a prayer of judgment. My question is can I get a prayer of judgment if I am not a NC licensed driver? I recently moved down here... If I got my NC license before my court date would I be eligible for the prayer of judgment? Even if my ticket has me recorded as a NJ driver? Also I am really low on money. I am a full time college student and can't really pay for a lawyer. Would I have a good chance at getting the prayer of judgment if I just represent myself? Thanks in advance.

Also I got a ticket reduced to improper equipment about 2 months ago. These are the only two times I've been pulled over in my life, unfortunately they happened very close to one another :/
I don't think you're going to have a shot without a lawyer. How fast were you going?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM

The school zone speed limit was 25. I was going 38 because I thought it was 35mph speed limit. What would the lawyer do that I could not do myself?

Old 09-27-2012, 09:24 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
You can try to go to court and claim prayer of judgement but its upto the DA as to whether or not you get it.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2805 View Post
The school zone speed limit was 25. I was going 38 because I thought it was 35mph speed limit. What would the lawyer do that I could not do myself?
Know the judge. Go "judge shopping' for the one who owes him a favor, etc.

Old 09-27-2012, 10:22 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I am afraid you are toast. If Jersey is brought up, then you will be burnt toast. Sorry, and good luck.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am afraid you are toast. If Jersey is brought up, then you will be burnt toast. Sorry, and good luck.
Not necessarily in onslow given the number of marines there. You just need to find out who the best connected lawyer is in the county.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:37 AM

Alright I guess I will contact some lawyers and see what they can do for me with the money I am able to spend..

Old 10-05-2012, 09:31 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
I suggest getting a lawyer who specializes in traffic law. Best $250 you will ever spend.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,439,741 times
I understand your situation, regarding being a broke college student. Last year I had a accident at the mall in Greenville and I honestly couldn't afford a lawyer yet law firms kept sending me letters with estimates ranging from $125-350 a hour. Mind you I'm broke so I took my chances in court, I explained the situation to the judge and he gave me another court date later on. Unfortunately I didn't know the exact date for me to return to court so I didn't go the second time, I went up to the court (without a lawyer, even the first time I didn't have lawyer) and they told me to talk to the DA. The DA pretty much just asked if I could call my insurance company and have them fax the accident report. I didn't have to pay the court a dime out of my pocket nor did my insurance to up and my record remains clean. So I mean sometime you have to take risk because paying a lawyer when you can't afford to is tragic, especially if you really may not need one. Your case is obviously different than mine since you we're in a school zone, but I would research the web or maybe even talk to the onslow county court about it before your court date and explain the situation they "may" help you out. Like I said, if you don't need a lawyer don't get one, just be prepared.

I hope this helped in someway my fellow broke college student.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina