Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 08:54 AM

26 posts, read 61,956 times

Advertisements

I am not familiar with the area at all. Is South Jarvis Avenue a safe area for 3 ECU ladies to rent a house? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM

327 posts, read 602,517 times
I would say so. Jarvis St is close to ECU which is patrolled by Greenville PD and Campus police. Used to hang out there in my college days and never had any problems.

But they should know there's a lot of house parties in that neighborhood on the weekends and if they don't want to be around that, it might be wise to look elsewhere.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times
Jarvis Street, and that whole area, for the most part is OK. Christy's Euro Pub and that other stuff is there, which brings in people. Don't walk by yourself at night, or other dumb stuff like that, and you should be OK.

But like with living anywhere, if you make it easy for criminals to take advantage, they will.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:56 PM

33 posts, read 69,619 times
Not to be hyper-critical Mr. Bogangles, but walking by yourself isn't dumb. It's certainly not safe but that's because Greenville is not safe. Not being from here I just don't think it's fair to assume that doing things like never walking alone at night or going downtown a night are dumb because they're not safe. Not trying to unload but Greenville sucks and it's stupid that people have to constantly be worried for their safety. That in itself is dumb. The fact that we classify areas of town as "safe", as long as you're not "dumb" shows that the area is not that safe. Once again I'm not trying to unload on you just pointing out, what to me is obvious... Greenville as a whole is not that safe.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:39 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I don't know the area, but if you cannot walk alone, it is not safe.

In new Bern when we got to 10 murders (counting a body rotting in a van) within 1000 yards, I stopped counting but folks walk here, by themselves all the time, males, females. Well after dark.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big77wick View Post
Greenville as a whole is not that safe.
Hence the term: "Having street smarts"

OP: If you're walking from downtown to Jarvis at night, walk with as many as people possible. Don't walk alone, tipsy (or flat-out bombed), on the phone, stumbling on your heels. With all the trees and fences, the neighborhood adjacent to downtown gets dark quick once you get past the ECU parking lots. Walk in a group, shortest and best-lit route, carry pepper spray. It's a decent neighborhood, but always keep your doors and windows closed and locked when sleeping or not home. Break-ins are actually more of a daytime thing - and that's everywhere, not just Greenville.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:55 AM

26 posts, read 61,956 times
Thank you for all the responses. Really not comfortable having my child move off campus after reading this! But, that would be anywhere, not just Greenville I suppose.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:46 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I don't know the area, but if you cannot walk alone, it is not safe.

In new Bern when we got to 10 murders (counting a body rotting in a van) within 1000 yards, I stopped counting but folks walk here, by themselves all the time, males, females. Well after dark.
OOPS...another shoot, 480 meters from house over the weekend.

Two arrested in weekend shooting incident - Columns - Sun Journal

Old 10-02-2012, 01:52 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,761,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
OOPS...another shoot, 480 meters from house over the weekend.

Two arrested in weekend shooting incident - Columns - Sun Journal
Why are you posting about New Bern in a Greenville thread?

Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Why are you posting about New Bern in a Greenville thread?

Issue is that near bad stuff doesn't mean you are not ok in your location.

That's everywhere...not just Greenville.

Sorry that got past you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina